Glens Falls (NY) Online Book Discussion Group discussion

Books by Title/Title=topic name > _The Road_ by Cormac McCarthy

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Cormac McCarthy's The Road was the winner of the 2007 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction.

I have not read this book, but I've just come across an interesting review of it. The review interested me because it talks about McCarthy's style of writing in this particular book, which evidently is different from his style in some of his previous books. See the excerpt below:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Cormac McCarthy’s subject in his new novel is as big as it gets: the end of the civilized world, the dying of life on the planet and the spectacle of it all. He has written a visually stunning picture of how it looks at the end to two pilgrims on the road to nowhere. [...:]

"_The Road_ is a dynamic tale, offered in the often exalted prose that is McCarthy’s signature, but this time in restrained doses — short, vivid sentences, episodes only a few paragraphs or a few lines long, which is yet another departure for him, coming after _No Country for Old Men_, published last year. That was also tight and fast, an extremely violent thriller with the energy of his sentences and a philosophical sheriff lifting it out of the genre; but in the McCarthy canon that book seems like a Graham Greene “entertainment” alongside ambitious work like _The Road_. He is said to have other novels in unfinished drafts, so perhaps he will revert to grandiloquence in those to come. But on the basis of _No Country for Old Men_ and _The Road_ it does seem that he has put aside the linguistic excesses and the philosophizing for which he has been both venerated and mocked — those Faulknerian convolutions, the Melvillean sermonizing — and opted for terse dialogue and spartan narrative, a style he inherited from another of his ancestors, Hemingway, and long ago made his own.

"The accessibility of this book, the love between father and son expressed in their quicksilver conversations, and the pathos of their story will make the novel popular, perhaps beyond _All the Pretty Horses,_ which had a love story and characters you might befriend and not run from, and which delivered McCarthy out of cult status and onto the best-seller list. _The Road_ is the most readable of his works, and consistently brilliant in its imagining of the posthumous condition of nature and civilization — “the frailty of everything revealed at last..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The above excerpt is from a review by Wm. Kennedy in the NY Times, 1/8/06.
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/08/boo...

message 2: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Jaye wrote: "Who needs that no hope stuff?!?"

My sentiments exactly!

Welcome to the group, Jaye.

One of our group members sent me the following quote. It's perfect here:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Every year of my life I grow more convinced that it is wisest and best to fix our attention on the beautiful and good and dwell as little as possible on the dark and the base." -Cecil
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Glens Falls (NY) Online Book Discussion Group

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Road (other topics)