Nature's End Nature's End discussion

Is This book prophetic?

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Mike One could easily state that this novel is indeed prophetic in its telling of technology yet to come, even from the standpoint that it was written twenty years ago.

The book mentions, though not necessarily using our familiar terms, the internet, cellular phones, and computerized cars with something similar to GPS systems installed.

There are of course many other aspects of this noevl that hold a great forshadowing of our times. I've only listed a few as I am curious to see what others think.

Justin I've reread it a couple times with this thought in mind. Some of it is spot-on, particularly overpopulation stress, toxins, and wildfires. If they wrote it later maybe they would have focused more on invasive species too. But other parts of it so far seem pretty off. Despite the prevalence of new drugs I don't think the Moods were very realistic, and even though it was just a minor detail the authors were a little too into aliens as well. Once in passing they mentioned extensive ruins on Mars that the Soviets wouldn't let anyone see.

Dollie I read it because I saw that Whitley Strieber was one of the authors and I had previously read Communion a couple of times.

Nature's end scared me because already the air and water have become fouled. We have deforestation so people can eat their fast food burgers, and everyday there is loss of more species of plants and animals.

I hope we never get to the point where we have the Depop Movement.

All in all, I found it well-written. I really couldn't put it down. Even though it was written 20 years ago, I think it still serves to open people's eyes to what we are doing to the planet. I made sure I passed it on and I hope she in turn passes it on. It's not just a good story, it's a good warning.