Goodreads Feedback discussion

Bugs > ISBN search gives empty page

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cait (last edited Jan 11, 2009 12:40PM) (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 1928 comments I was searching for the ISBN "2203136154" and I kept getting a completely empty browser window.

I tried this from two different computers and two different browsers, using the top search box and the search page, and every time the search would produce a completely empty page (view source showed no text at all). That ISBN wasn't in the Goodreads database or available on Amazon.com, but it is available on Amazon.fr; I tried setting the search to use Amazon.fr and got the same empty page again.

Since the edition wasn't in the Goodreads database, I added it. Now the search pulls up that book correctly every time.

message 2: by rivka, librarian moderator (new)

rivka | 12269 comments Mod
I just ran several searches for books whose ISBNs are not in the database, and got the expected message saying so.

message 3: by jenjn79 (last edited Jan 11, 2009 03:34PM) (new)

jenjn79 | 521 comments I was just talking to someone who had problems with ISBN searches. The books weren't in the GR database, but they were on Amazon. Searching by ISBN didn't automatically go to Amazon to look for the book and it just came up no results.

However, when the person msg'ed me to ask what they were doing wrong, I did some searches. I entered in the title plus the author's last name, and it imported the book from Amazon that way. But not when ISBN searching.

message 4: by Otis, Chief Goodreader (new)

Otis Chandler | 4184 comments Mod
I just tested with ISBN's not in our database but on Amazon and didn't find a problem. Any other ISBN's that don't work?

message 5: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 1928 comments I haven't found any others yet, but I'm just starting to upload my sf bookshelves so I'll let you know! :)