Richard III discussion

Questions asked and hopefully answered

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 1139 comments Mod
A couple of things have popped up in The King's Daughter and I'm hoping for some answers/input, since I'm not finding much on Wik,

1. She's stating that young Edward V had a jaw infection of some sort.

2. When Anne died Worth put in a solar eclipse just in time for her soul to enter heaven.

3. Trying to convince Elizabeth that she could love and marry Richard someone (I think it was her mother-I'll have to backtrack and look it up) justified the uncle/niece relationship with a comparison to Eleanor of Aquitaine and her Uncle Raymond. I recall reading another book a few years ago that alluded to that relationship and I couldn't find anything on the net outside of an unsubstantiated rumor.

message 2: by Ikonopeiston (new)

Ikonopeiston (Ikon) | 385 comments All true to a large extent. The jaw bone of the older skull found buried in the Tower showed evidence of a degenerative disease, osteomyelitis (sp.) I believe. Even without the skull's problematic evidence, some of the contemporary reports suggest that Edward V had problems in that area and it is supposed that, like most serious diseases, it would prove fatal in the short run.

There actually was a complete eclipse of the sun the day Anne died. I believe it was shortly after her death was announced. Scared the few wits they possessed out of the Londoners.

It was necessary to get a papal dispensation for such close relatives to marry, however with enough gold anything was possible. Affairs of this nature were rumoured about several couples in the Middle Ages. Human nature has not changed and people then, as now, appreciated a good prurient scandal.

message 3: by Misfit (new)

Thanks Ikon, you're better than an encyclopedia :)

message 4: by Barb (new)

Barb | 145 comments ...an encyclopedia with a sense of humor
;0)

message 5: by Ikonopeiston (new)

Ikonopeiston (Ikon) | 385 comments Does anyone know what the name of Warwick's and, later, Clarence's London house means? I have been unable to locate any information about the Herber. It sounds a bit French, but when I check there I get the answer "to bleach on grass". I suppose it could be taken from an earlier usage as a laundry site. Help!

message 6: by Misfit (new)

Ikon, what's the name of the house itself? Please don't make me go back through Worth's book to find it :)

message 7: by Ikonopeiston (new)

Ikonopeiston (Ikon) | 385 comments In SKP and in the non-fiction works I have read, it is simply called the Herber. I wonder if it was built on a meadow where women spread their clothes to dry after washing them in the river.

George sort of inherited it after Warwick was killed.

message 8: by Ikonopeiston (new)

Ikonopeiston (Ikon) | 385 comments Hey, Misfit! I just this minute read something which relates to your question about uncles and nieces. I knew Adolf Hitler had a passion which amounted almost to an obsession for one of his close relatives. But I just learned it was Gela Raubal, his half-niece. Plus ca change; plus la meme chose. Heh!

message 9: by Misfit (new)

Ikon, eewwww about Hitler. All I could find on a quick google is this one,

http://books.google.com/books?id=hHEu...

You might pop over to HFonline and post your question, someone almost always has an answer and I know boswellbaxter/Susan Higganbotham is pretty up to snuff on all things in that era.

message 10: by MAP (new)

MAP | 181 comments What is HFOnline? *blushes*

message 11: by Ikonopeiston (new)

Ikonopeiston (Ikon) | 385 comments Misfit, that was fascinating but I still think the French corruption is more likely. Harbor Inn? Bah!

I think it was probably a good thing the place burned down and what do you suppose George was up to in the Herber that Richard had to repair it? I have a mental image of a drunken Clarence punching his fist through a wall and spilling so much malmsey on the floors that you stuck to them when you tried to walk across the room. Clarence had lousy taste in wine.

message 12: by Misfit (new)

MAP, HFonline is a most excellent place to discuss all things historical fiction. Please stop by and feel free to join. You might even recognize a published author or two,

http://www.historicalfictiononline.co...

message 13: by Ikonopeiston (new)

Ikonopeiston (Ikon) | 385 comments I cannot figure out how to post a question on HFonline. I am a junior member and managed to find the Late Medieval forum and there my success stopped. How does one post a new message and not reply to an entry already there? :P

message 14: by Misfit (new)

Ikon, don't worry about junior/senior members - that's got something to do with the "old" board that was shut down (long story), the members from there are what's called "senior members". On any specific thread already you'll see a reply to button and/or if you want to quote someone else's comment to reply to there's a quote button as well.

To start a new thread - go to the topic you want, i.e. medieval or in this case I'd choose questions and research. Start here for that, http://www.historicalfictiononline.co...

Look up to the top left and you'll see a button for new thread.

Same for later medieval, http://www.historicalfictiononline.co...

Look again to the top left and find the thread starter button.

Happy posting.

message 15: by Pat (new)

Pat | 39 comments Ikon, I went to a website called 'House of Names' and entered the name 'Herber'. It says "The Herber name was originally an Anglo-Saxon name that was given to a person who ran a lodging house. This surname is a metonymic form of the surname Harberer, and is derived from the Old English word Herebeorg, which means shelter or lodging." Could this possibly be what you're looking for?

message 16: by Ikonopeiston (new)

Ikonopeiston (Ikon) | 385 comments Pat, that sounds more like it. So many words derive from the Anglo-Saxon terms for occupations. Thank you for the response.

Misfit, I did as you instructed. I am glad to know the secret. Now I can start doing some posting in that forum. I will bet the wise ones over there come up with the same answer as Pat. (She has a knack for research.) Thanks for the tutoring.

message 17: by Misfit (new)

Ikon, looking forward to it. Pat, good research as always. You and Ikon are just fountains of info and internet research.

message 18: by Laura (new)

Laura Ikonopeiston wrote: "I cannot figure out how to post a question on HFonline. I am a junior member and managed to find the Late Medieval forum and there my success stopped. How does one post a new message and not repl..."

Wellcome aboard!!