Oly Reads discussion

Book Group Meetings > February Book Group...

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Agathafrye (new)

Agathafrye | 751 comments Mod
Here's a thread for February book group... Where? When? I'd like to vote for having it towards the end of the month.

message 2: by Raina (new)

Raina | 106 comments Mod
I'll have family here on the 20-22nd, so I'd go for the 27th or the 28th, if we do go with late Feb. I can also do any weekend night of the first two weekends.

message 3: by Kate (new)

Kate I can do Feb 27 or 28th, too. I can do any weekend evening but the 3-day one when I'll probably leave town. Someone said McMenniman's (sp??). Any other options?

message 4: by Agathafrye (new)

I'll third the 28th- we could go to the Mark if it's not too fancy for folks...? We went to Swing once, and that was okay, but we'd probably need to call ahead. I like Ben Moore's, too, and they didn't seem to care recently when we commandeered a table for scrabble all night. I like places that are bars, but also serve food. I'd be fine with going to McMenamin's again, but it might be nice to mix it up a bit.

message 5: by Raina (new)

Raina | 106 comments Mod
I love the Mark, haven't been to Ben Moore's (shocking though that may be), and McMenamin's is fine.

message 6: by Sheri (new)

Sheri | 22 comments Hi everyone!
Two things:
1) I'm so sorry I rsvp'd and THEN DIDN'T SHOW UP at our recent meeting. My mother really did raise me with better manners than this, I swear. The pre-flood unshelving/shelving last week wore me out and by Saturday night I decided I only had enough energy to let my boyfriend buy me dinner. Sadly, five different kinds of clam chowder at Duke's trumped literariness. I won't let it happen again.

2) That said, I'm excited about our February meeting and approve of all suggested places. I've only been to Ben Moore's once but I loved it -- drinking Manhattans whilst playing Boggle is my idea of a good time.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 259 comments Mod
I also vote for Ben Moore's - I've never been there either.

message 8: by Agathafrye (new)

Ben Moore's it is! I'll call them with a heads up so that they can laugh at me. Does the 28th seem to work for most of us? Do we want to try to get there before happy hour ends at 6pm, or should we go for 6:30 as per usual? If we try to make happy hour, be forewarned that the two happy hour options are fish and chips or a hamburger and fries. No, you can't have a cheeseburger, that will cost you full price and the waitstaff might flip you a 'tude to boot. That being said, I really like Ben Moore's even with the occasional surly service.

Sheri, please don't worry about not coming this time around! We had a lot of people come, and there should never be any pressure to show up for these things. Come when you can another time, preferably in February!

message 9: by Agathafrye (new)

PS- maybe we can bring Boggle and play after we talk books... I love Boggle!

message 10: by Sheri (last edited Jan 14, 2009 09:36PM) (new)

Sheri | 22 comments They have it there, and I got a little taste of that Ben Moore surliness when my friend Lorraine and I thought it would be fun to play Boggle at the bar. The bartender and waitstaff kept glaring at us every time we unleashed the plastic dice all over the varnished/plexiglassed counter. They have a little room where the games are kept but maybe you're not supposed to drag them into the bar.

Come to think of it, maybe it was Yahtzee we were playing....?

I vote for post happy hour, just in case any of us are hankerin' for anything besides fish & chips or a hamburger & fries....

message 11: by Kate (new)

Kate Ben Moore's! I'd say it's about the opposite of The Mark. I'll be there for the atmosphere and company (but will eat ahead of time). Sounds fine with me.

message 12: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Feb. 28th sounds good to me - I like Ben Moore's since it tends to be quieter. My experience with food there, though, is that they won't make any substitutions for anything, ever, even if you're vegetarian and your breakfast comes with bacon and you just ask for the bacon to be left out entirely and not given to you as part of the meal. They still insist they have to serve it as part of the breakfast and won't even plate it separately. Not that I'm bitter, obviously.

message 13: by Agathafrye (new)

Yeah, I can't imagine them being very accommodating to any special dietary needs whatsoever. I like how they serve their side "vegetable"- it's basically an entire head of broccoli steamed. It takes you about ten minutes to get through the whole broccoli tree.

message 14: by Agathafrye (new)

By the way, I was at Ben Moore's last night, and I asked them how they felt about having our book group descend upon them on the 28th. They were wondering if we were planning on eating in the dining room, or hanging out in the bar. I was thinking bar, but how many of you want to eat? If it's a lot, we might want to think of switching to the restaurant. Be forewarned, it's not super cheap...

I always want to eat. :D

Wherever would be best for conversing so we can all hear, I think.

message 16: by Raina (new)

Raina | 106 comments Mod
I'll probably use it as an excuse to try out the food. Did they sound like they'd rather us eat in one or the other?

message 17: by Agathafrye (new)

They seemed to feel as though we would be better in the restaurant if we were mostly ordering meals. They would serve us food in the bar, too, it just gives them one more thing to be grumpy about. :)

message 18: by Agathafrye (new)

Just a reminder- February book group is happening this upcoming Saturday, February 28, at Ben Moore's. Sadly, Happy Hour ends at 6- do we want to push the time up, or should we stick with the regular 6:30 meeting time? I'm cool with whatever. FYI- happy hour food is only two options, please see earlier in this thread for descriptions. NO CHEESE!!!

message 19: by Kate (new)

Kate If the drinks are cheaper during happy hour, I say we move it up. I am not planning to eat food there. How about 5:30? Does anyone have a conflict?

Fine with me to start at 5:30. Happy hour, woot!

message 21: by Marlys (new)

Marlys | 2 comments 5:30 would be okay with me. Marlys

message 22: by Agathafrye (new)

We have 3 for 5:30- will anyone have a hard time making it then? We could always do 5:30 and start booktalking at 6 for those who need a little more time getting there...

message 23: by Raina (new)

Raina | 106 comments Mod
I might be a little late since I don't get off work until 5 and might want to pick up my dog before heading downtown. But we probably wouldn't be too much later than that.

Make sure to change the official event on the group though. :)

message 24: by Agathafrye (new)

I will, I was just waiting to hear from a few more peoples...

message 25: by Agathafrye (new)

Okay, I went ahead and changed it to 5:30. We'll start talking books shortly after 6...

Does Ben Moore's do onion rings? I could totally go for some onion rings...

message 27: by Sheri (new)

Sheri | 22 comments My mom will be here -- we'll drop in before heading to dinner proper. I can't wait to talk about how much I love "Wesley the Owl"!

message 28: by Agathafrye (new)

I don't recall ever seeing onion rings on the menu, but maybe I missed them. Sheri, looking forward to meeting your moms!

And I'm looking forward to hearing Sheri talk about how much she loves "Wesley the Owl", too. :)

message 30: by Agathafrye (new)

Bring it on, Dino! I was trying to catch your attention to say hi in QB the other day, but you were focused on your company. I was sitting right next to you!

You know, you can't go ANYWHERE in this town without some librarian being there...

message 32: by Agathafrye (new)

WE'RE EVERYWHERE.

message 33: by Agathafrye (last edited Mar 01, 2009 03:32PM) (new)

Hey, all. Here's my book group report. Nine of us met at Ben Moore's. There was a little confusion because apparently there's no happy hour on Saturdays at Ben Moore's, and in fact the bar doesn't open until 6pm. Since most of us got there at 5:30-ish, we ended up in the restaurant, which ended up being kind of cool anyhow. We had a very patient waitress that let us hang out there for hours. There was another profoundly eclectic group of books "talked up" again this month. I've decided to list the books in order around the table and list the person who talked about them as well (in parenthesis). I'll add these all to the Oly Reads bookshelf, too.
What I Talk About When I Talk About Running- Haruki Murakami, trans. by Philip Gabriel (Patty, awesome new member)
Y: the Last Man (vol 2: cycles)- Brian K. Vaughan, Pia Guerra, Jose Marzan (Jackie)
In Defense of Food- Michael Pollan (Jackie)
The Wordy Shipmates- Sarah Vowell (Jackie)
Driftless: Photographs from Iowa- Danny Frazier (Kelsey)
Cat, You Better Come Home- Garrison Keillor, ill. by Lou Fancher and Steve Johnson (Kelsey)
The Book of Lost Things- John Connolly (Kelsey)
Vigilante Newspapers: a Tale of Sex, Religion, and Murder in the Northwest- Gerald Baldasty (Kelsey)
Wesley the Owl: the Remarkable Love Story of an Owl and His Girl- Stacey O'Brien (Sheri)
Gone- Michael Grant (Raina)
Icarus at the Edge of Time- Brian Greene (Raina) ps- it's a board book! for adults!
Elvis: What Happened?- Steve Dunleavy, Red West, Sonny West, Dave Hebler (Bill)
Bowling Across America: 50 States in Rented Shoes- Mike Walsh (John)
The Geography of Bliss: One Grump's Search for the Happiest Places in the World- Eric Weiner (Meghan)
Sun, Stone, and Shadows: 20 Great Mexican Short Stories- anthology ed. by Jorge F. Hernandez (Kate- brought Spanish and English editions!)
City of Kings- Rosario Castellanos, trans. by Gloria Chacon De Arjona & Robert S. Rudder (Kate)

Other books mentioned in passing by various people-
The Sun (magazine)
The Spectacular Now- Tim Tharp
Gregor the Overlander (series)- Suzanne Collins
The Hunger Games- Suzanne Collins
Outliers- Malcolm Gladwell
The Twits- Roald Dahl, ill. by Quentin Blake (our waitress was reading this to her 8 year old son)
How Angel Peterson Got His Name- Gary Paulsen
Harris and Me- Gary Paulsen

We talked about having our next meeting on either Saturday, March 28th or Saturday, April 4th. If we have it on the 28th, Jackie can't come. I'll let her tell you all why because it's exciting! I'll start a new thread to talk about when and where for our next group.

message 34: by Agathafrye (new)

Come next time! You were discussed in depth. (Kidding!)

Agathafrye wrote: "(Kidding!)"

No, she's not. ;)

message 36: by Judy (new)

Judy (jpitchford) | 40 comments Sorry I missed it. I was sick :>(

message 37: by Agathafrye (new)

Hope you're feeling better, Judy! Make sure to weigh in on dates and locations in the thread for March/April...

message 38: by Raina (new)

Raina | 106 comments Mod
King Dinösaur wrote: "Arrgghh!!! Man, I totally spaced!!! I can't believe it...I even had Raina reminding me all week long. I am pathetic. My brain must be broken or something.

Loser. Me. :("

LOL. No worries - there's always next time...