College Students! discussion

Genre or Topic/Theme Related > interesting non-fiction

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 4407 comments Mod
so i've realized i don't read much non-fiction and i really want to start reading more of it. So..any recommendations for some good non-fiction?

i'm into music, art, fashion..but would read about basically anything.

message 2: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Do you consider memoirs nonfiction? I have been on a BIG memoir kick for the last few years... also "travelogues" which I just think of as memoirs in which people travel.

message 3: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

i'm open to anything! :)

I really want to read Eat, Pray, Love..i've heard that is really good..its on my bookshelf just waiting to be read!

message 5: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

ooh thanks Katerina! I just bought the Barbara Kingsolver one actually so I will be reading that soon!

message 6: by Caiti Casey (new)

Caiti Casey Spiess (mrssteven) I'm adding all of those to my TBR list!!!

message 7: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 143 comments hmm i haven't really read much non-fiction..let me think about it. i'm sure i have read something good.

message 8: by Lynn (new)

Lynn I read Eat Pray Love about a year ago. It is really good! I think all yall would like it! and omg Katerina.. I read The Year of Living Bibically over the summer. I LOVED it!! I also read his other memoir The Know-It-All which is really funny too. Right now I want to read My Jesus Year: A Rabbi's Son Wanders the Bible Belt in Search of His Own Faith and one of my good friends recommended Mango Elephants in the Sun: How Life in an African Village Let Me Be in My Skin b/c we're both interested in the Peace Corps

message 9: by Lynn (new)

Lynn ooh and if you are into Andy Warhol, this one might be worth looking into: The Andy Warhol Diaries. I got it at the library at the beginning of last semester but only got to flip through it.. It was interesting though.

message 10: by Janet (new)

Janet Good topic Jaime because I really feel the same way!

message 11: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

ooh Lynn those are some great suggestions! Thanks!
Keep them coming everyone! :)

message 13: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

ooh..I will have to look at all of these!!

message 14: by Sonja (new)

Sonja (crvena_sonja) | 78 comments I can recommend the following as good/interesting non-fiction:

Any of the Jen Lancaster books - Bitter is the New Black, Bright Lights Big Ass, Such a Pretty Fat. She has great voice and is very VERY funny!

Anything by Bill Bryson - A Walk in the Woods, Neither Here nor There, In a Sunburned Country. He writes superbly and is also very funny.

I also really like books about food/food writing and some of the ones I've picked up from that are: Garlic and Sapphires where Ruth Reichl (the editor of Gourmet magazine) talks about the year she was the restaurant critic at the New York Times. Its hilarious and shes got some great recipes in the book as well. Another one is A History of the World in 6 Glasses by Tom Standage. This is a different look at some of the most prominent cultures through time defined by their beverage of choice. And yet another one is The True History of Chocolate; I really liked it even though I did already know a lot of the history they discussed.

Last but certainly not least, anyone who hasn't read The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch really should go out and get it! He was a professor at my college diagnosed with prostate cancer and this is his advice to everyone on how to follow your dreams and make the best use of your time on Earth. Its not a depressing read and I highly recommend it!

Okay, so I think thats all I've got for now. If I think of anything else I'll let you know...

message 15: by Caiti Casey (new)

Caiti Casey Spiess (mrssteven) Wow just what I needed...like 20 more books to had to my TBR list. :P Thanks you guys for the awesome suggestions.

message 16: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (misslaurenwilk) | 425 comments I've got some on my nonfiction bookshelf on my profile if you want to check it out. I've also got a bunch on the historical fiction shelf too! =)

message 17: by Lori, The Over-Caffeinated Coffee Girl (new)

Lori Walker | 2109 comments Mod
I would say, if you want to read a biography, read one about someone you're interested in. I like Jackie Kennedy, so I read books about her. I like Marilyn Monroe, so I read a biography about her.

message 18: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
I enjoyed Angela's Ashes awhile back, then read both 'Tis and Teacher Man. I really am not sure how much is non fiction, I have heard many rumors, but I thought they were enjoyable.

message 20: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

ooh thanks Justine!
I really need to get going on Wasted. I have been wanting to read it for a while but i keep putting it off for other books.

message 21: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (xtoloveistolivex) | 534 comments I definitely recommend Laurie Notaro too. I literally laugh hysterically when I read her books.

message 22: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (xtoloveistolivex) | 534 comments I also love memoirs. There was one I read recently called Quiet, Please: Dispatches From A Public Librarian. It was pretty good!

message 23: by Bree (new)

Bree (breezybaby) | 144 comments oh boy. i have alot to add now!

message 24: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) Memoirs I have Read:

Please Stop Laughing At Me-Jodee Blanco
A Rip In Heaven-Jeanine Cummins
Still Waters-Jennifer Laucke
Stolen Innocence-Erin Merryn
Running With Scissor-Augusten Burroughs
Dry-Augsten Burroughs
Sickened-Julie Gregory
Lucky-Alice Sebold
Three Weeks with my Brother-Nicholas Sparks
Faith Under Fire-LaJoyce Brookshire
A Special Education-Dana Buchman
Bad Girl-Abigail Vona
And I Don't Want To Live This Life-Deborah Spungen
The Freedome Writer's Diary-Erin Gruwell

message 25: by Janet (new)

Janet I bought Bitter is the New Black because my secret santa wanted her other book and it looked funny, so I got it. Haha! Thanks, Lynn!! (From Kentucky because I think we have a couple of Lynn's! Haha)

message 26: by Lynn (new)

Lynn yay Janet! We're both reading Jen Lancaster! :] And thanks so much! I've been reading Bright Lights, Big Ass usually before I go to bed. It's pretty funny. She seems like someone who would be easy to be friends with.

Kelsey, have you heard of Free For All Oddballs, Geeks, and Gangstas in the Public Library?

Ok so I keep adding wayyyy too many books to my to-read shelf. I don't think it'll ever die down. haha. But I looooooove memoirs so I'm glad I'm seeing lots of recommendations!

message 27: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (xtoloveistolivex) | 534 comments Lynn, I haven't, but I'll definitely have to check it out!

message 28: by Katerina (new)

Katerina | 252 comments ooh good thread..i'm definitely going to read soem of these!

message 29: by Molly (new)

Molly (slinkyxo) | 153 comments I agree Katerina..I will be adding alot of these IMMEDIATELY!! keep them coming!! I haven't read much non fiction because i always found it boring..but these sound wonderful!!

message 30: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

another good topic to bring back from the dead..

I read Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach recently. VERY interesting non-fiction! I plan to read her other 2 books!

message 32: by Emily (new)

Emily  O (readingwhilefemale) | 487 comments Best Book Ever Written:
A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson.
It is absolutely my favorite book. And this is coming from someone who hates non-fiction.

Sonja wrote: "Anything by Bill Bryson - A Walk in the Woods, Neither Here nor There, In a Sunburned Country. He writes superbly and is also very funny."
These books of his are also amazing, and so hilarious! My favorite is In a Sunburned Country.

He is definitely my favorite non-fiction author, which means he's basically the only one I'll read, though Julie and Julia: My Year of Cooking Dangerously isn't bad so far either.

message 33: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Emily-- I LOVED Love is a Mix Tape!

message 35: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

I'll definitely be taking a look at your list for sure!

message 36: by Bárbara (new)

Bárbara (leviathan_) Fugitives and Refugees A Walk in Portland, Oregonand Stranger Than Fiction True Stories, both by Chuck Palahniuk, are pretty good. The first one is about life in Portland, while the second is a collection of essays, things he's written as a journalist, or about the making of Fight Club as a film, etc. Both are really interesting.

message 37: by jessi (new)

jessi (infinitevantage) | 157 comments memoirs:

The Glass Castle
Jesus Land
Running With Scissors

other awesome non-fic:

Reefer Madness
Anything But Straight
Unspeakable Love
Dying to Win
The Accidental Guerilla
The End of Faith

message 39: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

I haven't read this but I'm really excited to..just because I love him!

Eating Animals

message 40: by Kayla (new)

Kayla | 604 comments That book sounds great, Jamie, especially since I'm a vegetarian! I'm definitely putting it on my to-read list. Thanks for sharing!

message 41: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

No problem! He's one of my favorite authors! He's fiction work is brilliant so I'm hoping this will be too!

message 43: by Lori, The Over-Caffeinated Coffee Girl (new)

Lori Walker | 2109 comments Mod
I've been reading The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test, which is surprisingly non-fiction. I love it because it's so far-fetched at times that you think it must be fiction, but nope. It says non-fiction on the back.

I peruse The Unabridged Journals of Sylvia Plath every few days. They are so good! It's slightly scary the number of times I say "You said it Sylvia!" but I really enjoy her journals.

Because I'm a complete history nerd and I am done with American history classes, I've decided to study America's wars. I ordered 2 books on the Revolution and 1 on the Civil War, which I should get soon. And I have a book on World War I and World War II. I'm really looking forward to this because I didn't get to study the wars.

message 45: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (counttess) One that I have read really reads like a fiction book. I read it for a class of mine and I loved it! Some people don't believe it because it's just so fascinating: The Spy Wore Red

message 46: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

I'd add this one to the list of interesting non-fiction!

IraqiGirl: Diary of a Teenage Girl in Iraq