Glens Falls (NY) Online Book Discussion Group discussion

Television & Radio > Golden Globe Awards - Sun. Jan. 11, 2009 - 8 PM EST - How would you vote?

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Jan 11, 2009 11:47AM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments The 66th Annual Golden Globe Awards will be telecast live on NBC
Sunday, January 11 (8pm-11pm-EST) at The Beverly Hilton in CA.

The list of nominations can be seen at: ====>
http://www.goldenglobes.org/nominations/001index.html

How would you vote?

message 2: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckymurr) Now this is an awards show I enjoy!!! My husband will be thrilled that it is on....LOL

message 3: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Jan 11, 2009 09:03AM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments I'm looking forward to it too, Becky. My sister saw "The Reader" and told me a bit about it. I can't remember what her opinion was. I know that she didn't say it was terrific, but she seemed to like it and find it interesting. It seems to have an interesting plot. She didn't tell me the ending, of course.

"The Reader" is nominated for Best Motion Picture - Drama.

message 4: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Jan 11, 2009 09:03AM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments I'll bet "Mamma Mia!" will win for Best Motion Picture - Musical Or Comedy. I saw the play but not the movie. It was great fun! Loved the music, all old tunes!

message 5: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckymurr) Loved Mamma Mia-saw the broadway show once & the movie twice!!

message 6: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Wow! :)

message 7: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments I read that Heath Ledger won Best Supporting Actor for his role in The Dark Knight as The Joker.
Definitely deserves it. He did an incredible job as the Joker.
You all know that I don't get scared easily, but he creeped me out big time. Even the commercials would make my skin crawl.

message 8: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckymurr) I was so upset-I turned it on 20 minutes late & missed Bruce Springsteen winning for best song....I found the clip on you tube today but not the same ;(

message 9: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Below is a good link to the winners:
http://movies.aol.com/golden-globes/n...

I missed the show! I was so engrossed in the Sawtelle book, that I forgot to watch... forgot what day it was. :-(

So afterwards, I went online and watched clips of the speeches. There were some good ones! I loved the funny ones. Such comraderie among those people. Isn't Sean Connery a handsome man! Same for Warren Beatty.

message 10: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments I love Sean Connery, he's still the only Bond for me.

I haven't seen most of these movies so I cannot make a fair judgement. I want to see Benjamin Button and Changeling whenever they come out on DVD.

message 11: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckymurr) I am going to see Gran Torino tomorrow with my husband. He has a Dr appt in Albany so we thought we would go to LL Bean & see a movie at the new theater & then do dinner....I usually wait to rent a movie, some I want to see on the big screen. I do want to see Benjamin Button....

message 12: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments I'm wondering if the clips I watched were from another year's Golden Globes speeches. I can't find them again. The celbrities I watched giving speeches were:
-Dustin Hoffman, honoring Warren Beatty
-William Shatner, honoring Sean Connery
-Carrie Fisher

Were they at this Sunday's Golden Globes or were the clips from another year?

message 13: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckymurr) They were not this year Joy....

message 15: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Thanks for the links, Becky.
I guess I was watching the wrong clips. (lol)
Below is a link to videos of this years acceptance speeches:
http://www.nbc.com/golden-globes/vide...
See the links at the right of the screen when you get there.