geography and planing discussion

Hi!

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mike (new)

Mike Bularz (nnnudibranch) | 2 comments It seems this group hasn't seen much action. It's too bad since the subject is very relevant and broad. I'm just reaching out on here, heck, why not introduce yourselves or something?
I'm a guy who lived in Chicago and moved to the 'burbs and has seen many of the problems firsthand. Although I'm just at the beginning of my college career I hope to major in Urban Planning.

message 2: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Langridge | 2 comments Mike wrote: "It seems this group hasn't seen much action. It's too bad since the subject is very relevant and broad. I'm just reaching out on here, heck, why not introduce yourselves or something?
I'm a guy w..."

Hi Mike, my name is Jeff, I'm a current student at the University at Buffalo where I am studying Arts Management. I sort of delved into urban planning because of the ways in which arts and cultural organizations impact the planning of areas. I feel the two are completely related and yet so unrelated.

I have recently started a blog about some of the things that I'm working on. This semester I have to write a thesis so I will be very busy. I am glad you finally came out to get this started though.

message 3: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Langridge | 2 comments Mike wrote: "It seems this group hasn't seen much action. It's too bad since the subject is very relevant and broad. I'm just reaching out on here, heck, why not introduce yourselves or something?
I'm a guy w..."

You should hop on Twitter http://www.twitter.com get an account and look for like minded people. Conversation about this kind of thing goes all day.

Secondly check out www.100khouse.com those guys are out of Philly, they are trying to create LEED houses and spread them all over... worth it? you decide.

message 4: by Mike (new)

Mike Bularz (nnnudibranch) | 2 comments I'm not sure what to think of non-traditional housing myself, the problem I see in it is the liveablility of it, as in, unconventional design colliding with the conventional (daily life). As for "green" houses from the things out there they can be anything from money-saving to life-inhibiting and for environmentalist devotionals only (i.e. non flush toilets where you use the waste for, say, compost). Technologically, various advancements that are environmentally conscious and economical are only at the beginning of being invented, anything from more efficient flexible solar panels to using algae as an energy source. Im sure many of these technologies will find their way into mainstream culture in the next decades, but to build houses that would be as outdated as a 5-year old P.C. because of technology seems kind of dumb at this point and time.

Also, I have recently stumbled across a book I could recommend for what I think you are interested in,
Space and Place: The Perspective of Experience by Yi-Fu Tuan
it deals with a view of places being about perspective and experience, and tries to look at them through terminology other than "city" "suburb" "town", and more aesthetically. I have only begun reading it though.