WOLVES discussion

*NEWS* > Animal Cruelty

Comments Showing 1-50 of 58 (58 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kayla (last edited Jan 10, 2009 08:33PM) (new)

Kayla ************************No Battery Eggs***************************

While many of us picture an idyllic Old MacDonald's farm when we think about where our eggs come from, nothing could be further from the truth. Most eggs produced in the United States come from industrialized factory farms confining hundreds of thousands—if not millions—of laying hens in overcrowded battery cages.

Arguably the most abused animals in all agribusiness, nearly 280 million laying hens in the United States are confined in barren, wire battery cages so restrictive the birds can't even spread their wings. With no opportunity to engage in many of their natural behaviors, including nesting, dust bathing, perching, and foraging, these birds endure lives wrought with suffering.

Because of animal welfare concerns, countries such as Germany, Switzerland, Sweden, and Austria have banned battery cages. The entire European Union is phasing out conventional cages by 2012.

message 2: by Kayla (last edited Jan 10, 2009 08:44PM) (new)

Kayla ***********Force Fed Abuse************

Paté de foie gras, translated from French, is simply "fatty liver." This so-called gourmet delicacy is the product of extreme animal cruelty.

Ducks and geese are forced-fed unnaturally large quantities of food through a metal tube that is shoved down their throats and into their stomachs two or three times each day. The extensive overfeeding causes their livers to become diseased. The livers become enlarged up to ten times their normal size, making it difficult for the birds to move comfortably and, for some, even walk.

The practice of force-feeding can cause painful bruising, lacerations, sores, and even organ rupture. On some foie gras factory farms, the birds are severely restricted inside small, filthy cages where they cannot even turn around or spread their wings.

Due to animal welfare concerns, more than a dozen countries—including the United Kingdom, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Israel (formerly the world's fourth-largest foie gras producing nation), Norway, Poland, Sweden, and Switzerland—have prohibited the production of foie gras. In 2004, California became the first U.S. state to ban the cruel force-feeding of birds and the sale of foie gras produced from force-fed birds, effective 2012.

message 3: by Kayla (last edited Jan 10, 2009 08:53PM) (new)

Kayla We raise ducks and geese at are house. The baby geese are so smart they follow you around and soon as they hatch out. (Of course it's hard work for them to hatch out so they usually rest the first few days until the get strong enough to follow you.)
I just love the little geese all colors and ages. :-)

Also we have are own chickens there for we have are own eggs to you can really tast the difference between store eggs and our eggs.

message 4: by Kayla (new)

Kayla ***********Small Crates**********

Nationwide, nearly one million calves raised for veal and nearly six million breeding sows (female pigs) suffer nearly their entire lives inside tiny crates so small the animals can't even turn around.

Veal factory farmers separate calves from their mothers within the first few days of birth and cram them into individual crates or stalls, tethered by their necks. Inside these enclosures, the calves can barely move. The veal industry is a direct byproduct of the dairy industry and depends on it for survival.

Breeding sows suffer a similar fate. Throughout nearly their entire four-month pregnancies, the animals are confined inside individual metal gestation crates barely bigger than their own bodies, unable to perform many of their natural behaviors.

Due to animal welfare concerns, the entire European Union has already banned both veal crates and gestation crates, effective 2007 and 2013, respectively. Yet, in the United States, the use of these abusive crates remains customary practice.

message 5: by Kayla (new)

Kayla For more news on animals click here.
Also there are some really interesting facts on animals in here great for school writing assignments. :-)

message 6: by Kayla (last edited Jan 11, 2009 05:47AM) (new)

Kayla The following information was gathered at this web site. Click here to go to it.

message 7: by Kayla (last edited Jan 11, 2009 05:50AM) (new)

Kayla ********Dairy Cow Abuse********

The 9 million cows living on dairy farms in the United States spend most of their lives in large sheds or on feces-caked mud lots, where disease is rampant.3 Cows raised for their milk are repeatedly impregnated. Their babies are taken away so that humans can drink the milk intended for the calves. When their exhausted bodies can no longer provide enough milk, they are sent to slaughter and ground up for hamburgers.

Cows produce milk for the same reason that humans do: to nourish their babies. In order to force the animals to continue giving milk, factory farmers impregnate them using artificial insemination every year. Calves are generally taken from their mothers within a day of being born—males are destined for veal crates, and females are sentenced to the same fate as their mothers.

Mother cows on dairy farms can often be seen searching and calling for their calves long after they have been separated. Author Oliver Sacks, M.D., wrote of a visit that he and cattle expert Dr. Temple Grandin made to a dairy farm and of the great tumult of bellowing that they heard when they arrived: “‘They must have separated the calves from the cows this morning,’ Temple said, and, indeed, this was what had happened. We saw one cow outside the stockade, roaming, looking for her calf, and bellowing. ‘That’s not a happy cow,’ Temple said. ‘That’s one sad, unhappy, upset cow. She wants her baby. Bellowing for it, hunting for it. She’ll forget for a while, then start again. It’s like grieving, mourning—not much written about it. People don’t like to allow them thoughts or feelings.’”4
Cows are hooked up to milk machines that often tear their udders.

After their calves are taken from them, mother cows are hooked up, several times a day, to machines that take the milk intended for their babies. Using genetic manipulation, powerful hormones, and intensive milking, factory farmers force cows to produce about 10 times as much milk as they naturally would.5 Animals are pumped full of bovine growth hormone (BGH), which contributes to painful inflammation of the udder known as “mastitis.” (BGH is used throughout the U.S., but has been banned in Europe and Canada because of concerns over human health and animal welfare.)6 According to the industry’s own figures, between 30 and 50 percent of dairy cows suffer from mastitis, an extremely painful condition.7

A cow’s natural lifespan is 25 years, but cows used by the dairy industry are killed after only four or five years.8 An industry study reports that by the time they are killed, nearly 40 percent of dairy cows are lame because of the filth, intensive confinement, and the strain of constantly being pregnant and giving milk.9 Dairy cows are turned into soup, companion animal food, or low-grade hamburger meat because their bodies are too “spent” to be used for anything else.

message 8: by Kayla (last edited Jan 11, 2009 05:56AM) (new)

Kayla *******Pigs That Can Not Turn Around******

Many people think of Charlotte’s Web and Babe when they imagine how pigs are raised for meat. Unfortunately, these Hollywood tales do not depict reality. Almost all of the 100 million pigs killed for food in the United States every year endure horrific conditions in controlled animal feeding operations (CAFOs), the meat industry’s euphemism for factory farms.5 Smarter than dogs, these social, sensitive animals spend their lives in overcrowded, filthy warehouses, often seeing direct sunlight for the first time as they are crammed onto a truck bound for the slaughterhouse.6

A mother pig, or sow, spends her adult life confined to a tiny metal crate. She will never feel the warmth of a nest or the affectionate nuzzle of her mate—she will spend her life surrounded by thick, cold metal bars, living on wet, feces-caked concrete floors. When she is old enough to give birth, she will be artificially impregnated and then imprisoned again for the entire length of her pregnancy in a “gestation crate,” a cage only 2 feet wide—too small for her even to turn around or lie down in comfortably.7

After giving birth, a mother pig is moved to a “farrowing crate,” a contraption even worse and smaller than a gestation crate, with only a tiny additional concrete area on which the piglets can nurse.8 Workers will sometimes tie the mother’s legs apart so she cannot get a break from the suckling piglets. She may develop open “bed sores” on her body from the lack of movement. This practice is so barbaric that gestation crates have been banned in Florida, the U.K., and Sweden and will be banned in the European Union in 2013.9,10
Pigs develop sores from living in filthy conditions that are too cramped to even stand up in.

When pregnant sows are ready to give birth, they are moved from a gestation crate to a farrowing crate. One worker describes the process: “They beat the shit out of them [the mother pigs:] to get them inside the crates because they don’t want to go. This is their only chance to walk around, get a little exercise, and they don’t want to go [back into a crate:].

Would you want to be shoved in a crate?

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

These stories are so sad!

message 10: by Lyla (new)

Lyla Neko (scourgelyla) check out what the major spca's go through they have to rescue animals abused beaten neglected and left to suffer and die. its harsher than what you'v been writing about. also if you go to peta you can see multiple live vidoes about animal abuse. videos of how it happens. i will tell you the site if you be carefull its graffic. its www.peta.com. plz remember its VERY GRAFFIC. vewer discretion advised

message 11: by maddie, blonde, and beautifu!! (new)

maddie (marleyme) | 768 comments Mod
no, it is sad, but mean, rude, and complete torture...i am seriously going ot do something about this no matter what my fur-lover wearing animal killer friends say...i WILL do something...*ppounds fist on desk angrily*

message 12: by Lyla (new)

Lyla Neko (scourgelyla) i already wrote to some wolf hunters who kill for fun no responce yet also chack out these

http://www.huntdriftwood.com/photos/w...

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

my friend found to kittens in a snowbank,abandoned on the COLDEST NIGHT OF THE YEAR! Their paws were frozen to the ground so they couldn't move and had severe cases of frost bite.

message 14: by Kayla (new)

Kayla Did they live?

message 15: by Mary Grace (new)

Mary Grace aww that's sad =,(

message 16: by maddie, blonde, and beautifu!! (new)

omg! did they survive???

message 17: by Kyye of Lindisfarne (last edited Feb 07, 2009 04:52PM) (new)

Kyye of Lindisfarne (Kyye) yes,now they live with my friend. They're called Pepperdoodle and Blossom.

message 18: by maddie, blonde, and beautifu!! (new)

awww! are they okay now? like they didnt have to get anything cut off?

Kyye of Lindisfarne (Kyye) nope.there fine and my friend ADORES them. sigh,so cute . . .

message 20: by Kayla (new)

Kayla So what did she name them?

Kyye of Lindisfarne (Kyye) Pepperdoodle and Blossom. They're WICKED cute!!!

message 22: by maddie, blonde, and beautifu!! (new)

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!

message 23: by Ben (new)

Ben my friend said she went 2 the store 2 buy a mouse 4 a pet, n when the person workin there brought the mice out they kept dozens of them in a 5 gallon bucket all stacked on top of each other n doin other stuff on each other n the person who worked there put their hands in the bucket of mice n stired it up n said just tell me when u find one you like so she just walked away

message 24: by Mary Grace (new)

Mary Grace that's horrible. they should be sued!!!!!

message 25: by Kayla (new)

Kayla They were probably keeping those mice for snake food.:-(

message 26: by Mary Grace (new)

Mary Grace but that's horrible if they were keeping them for snake food then they should have another different group of mice for pets.

Kyye of Lindisfarne (Kyye) yeah,those mice probably aren't very healthy.

message 28: by Kayla (new)

Kayla Yeah.

Kyye of Lindisfarne (Kyye) they might have diseases and they could pass them on to pets and humans . . .

message 30: by maddie, blonde, and beautifu!! (new)

WHERE IS THIS PET STORE?!?! IM GOING DOWN THERE!

message 31: by maddie, blonde, and beautifu!! (new)

>:C

Kyye of Lindisfarne (Kyye) it's sad . . .

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

I went to a reptile show and the animals there were horrible mistreated.

message 34: by maddie, blonde, and beautifu!! (new)

what?! omg!! i hate that! wen animals have to be forced to do tricks for a living! its plain torture!

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

I know! I got a siamese fighting fish today and you should have seen the container he came in!!!!

message 36: by maddie, blonde, and beautifu!! (new)

ooh, whats he look like??

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

he's awesome! His tail is really long and purple-blue-red.

message 38: by maddie, blonde, and beautifu!! (new)

OOHHH!!!!! I WANNA SEE HIM!!!

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll email you a video of him.

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

what's yer email?

message 41: by maddie, blonde, and beautifu!! (new)

ummn....its- worth_it_28@yahoo.com

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

its-worth_it_28? Ok . . .

message 43: by maddie, blonde, and beautifu!! (new)

no, my email address is,

worth_it_28@yahoo.com

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

ok!

message 45: by maddie, blonde, and beautifu!! (new)

did u send it??

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

not yet,I still have to upload the videos to my software.

message 47: by maddie, blonde, and beautifu!! (new)

kk

message 48: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Parker (sarahlizaparker) Jury: Mason Abused Dogs
Posted on Jan 25, 2007 - 9:34 AM
MIKE GLEASON, Staff Writer
Bennington Banner
Article Launched:01/25/2007 03:07:32 AM EST

Thursday, January 25
BENNINGTON — A former owner of 32 dogs was found guilty after a one-day trial Wednesday of two counts of depriving animals of proper sanitation and one count of transporting animals in an overcrowded vehicle.
Larry Mason, 53, now faces a maximum of three years in jail or a $3,000 fine in total. The date for a sentencing hearing has not yet been set.

Mason was cited in July for animal cruelty after police responded to a call about dogs being left unattended near the Top Notch Diner on Main Street in Bennington. When police responded, they found a school bus parked with 31 dogs inside, all owned by Mason. Another dog belonging to Mason was later found in a nearby forest.

In November, Judge David Howard ruled in a forfeiture hearing that Mason would have to give up the dogs, also citing the condition of the housing for the animals. The majority of those animals have already been adopted and placed in other homes.

Bennington County Deputy State's Attorney Andrew Costello said he was pleased with the verdict.

"I think the jury came back with the correct verdict," Costello said. "To a large extent, though, the forfeiture hearing was more important because it gave the dogs new homes."

Public Defender Frederick Bragdon, Mason's attorney, said Mason as "disappointed" in the decision.

"We will go through the sentencing hearing and appeal afterwards," Bragdon said Wednesday night. "I'll be meeting with (Mason) tomorrow."

Bennington Police Officers David Faden and Fred Gilbar, Animal Control Officer Jennifer Billert and Veterinarian Anna Worth testified for the prosecution.

Billert testified about the condition of the animals.

"With Mini-Tatanka (one of the dogs) ... I noticed the coat was very matted and dirty," Billert said. "I could place my fingers between each rib," Billert said. "With Jodi the front legs were deformed ... her coat was dripping with urine."

Werth also reported examining both Jodi and Mini-Tatanka.

"We measure a dog's weight on a scale of one to five, with five being morbidly obese and one being very thin (like an animal with cancer)," Worth said. "Mini-Tatanka was a .8."

Worth added that Jodi would be a 1 on that scale. Mini-Tatanka also tested positive for worms, according to Worth.

Officers Faden and Gilbar testified about the condition of the bus when they each arrived.

Faden characterized the smell as "very extreme," and said that he could smell urine and feces even while outside the bus.

"The area I could see in the bus was fairly filthy — there was a lot of dirt and dog hair," Faden said.

Gilbar agreed with that assessment, testifying that he had seen fecal matter in the bus.

"I could detect a strong, foul odor coming from (the bus)," Gilbar said. "At some point, it smelled worse than some of the death scenes I'd been to."

Bragdon took issue with Gilbar's claim.

"Officer Gilbar said he saw feces on the bus," Bragdon said during his closing statement. "He controlled the camera (that took photographs documenting the state of the bus). If he saw something that disgusting, don't you think he would have taken a picture of it?"

Bragdon also questioned whether the urine smell the officers reported might be the result of the ammonia cleaning solution Mason used.

Larry Mason's defense argued that the bus had been cleaned that morning, and that the dogs were not kept in crates for long periods of time.

"That morning, I started by scraping out the bus and putting in new sawdust," said Mason, detailing his cleaning routine. "I drew water from (a nearby) stream and sluiced out the aisle."

The defense called Mason himself, as well as Stephen Pickering, a friend of Mason's from New Hampshire.

Pickering testified that the bus was kept clean, that the dogs were kept in good general health and that Pickering brought Mason substantial amounts of dog food — about a ton in total.

Mason testified that the dirt evident in pictures of the bus was, in fact, sawdust, which had been tracked in and out of the aisle as the dogs were brought out for police inspection.

Mason consulted a Bible he carried with him at several times throughout the trial, notably after the closing arguments had concluded.

Bragdon closed by challenging the jury to find the urine referenced by Billert, using a photograph taken at the time.

"You tell me where the dripping urine is," Bragdon said. "Maybe you won't find it in the fur, but if it were dripping, it would surely be on the ground."

Costello, though, focused on the issue of cleanliness in his closing argument.

"Part of sanitation involves cleaning the place out every once in a while — urine was pouring out of that bus," Costello said. "The state believes it's clear that having 31 dogs in a bus is not healthy for the animals."

The jury deliberated for about an hour

message 49: by maddie, blonde, and beautifu!! (new)

omg! thats like so sad! i would soooo buy one of those dogs!!

message 50: by maddie, blonde, and beautifu!! (new)

ok, this like seriously just happened to me:

my step-mom and dad decided that it was time to get a new dog, since we'd just got rid of harley. so we were looking for a nice, cuddly, warm-hearted dog that didnt mind lots fo kids and loud noises, and loved tons of food.
well, this is how jazzy came into my life.
we went to the nearby dog pound in grand rapids, and it was just me and my dad.
the minute i had walked through the door where they held the dogs little puppies were jumping all over me and i was just having the time of my life picking each one up and playing with them.
but then i decided i wanted to walk around and look at the bigger dogs, and thats when i saw this 5 year old, skinny golden retriever.
her name was jazzy, and she was peanut butter gold. she had been rescued from a home in grand rapids from a man who was going to put her in a dog fight. she had been beaten and hurt, but thank god that the police stopped the guy doing it to her.
i instantly fell in love with her. she was excited to see me and wouldnt stop licking me. and as you probably guessed, we took her home!
now, she is 6 years old, yesterday was her birthday, shes fatter than she was, and well, slightly over-weight. me and her are inseperable...and as im typing this, shes laying next to me on the couch asleep.

« previous 1