Goodreads in North Carolina discussion

Favorite Bookstores

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lesley (new)

Lesley Looper | 6 comments What are your favorite bookstores across North Carolina? Where are they located? What sets your favorite bookstore(s) apart from the rest?

message 2: by Raven (new)

Raven (infinitemysticraven) Mine would be Barns and Nobles, I love the coffee shop right in the middle of the store and the comfy reading areas. Nothing like reading and drinking coffee. I am new to NC so I do not know too many bookstore around.

message 3: by Katrinka (new)

Katrinka Nice Price (used) is my preference in Durham. The guys always know me and talk to me when I come in, and they know their reading material. Plus, they're independent.

The Regulator in Durham is also pretty good, and locally owned as well. Wish they had more of a used selection, though.

message 4: by Kevin (new)

Kevin (neversink68) | 2 comments for look and comfort I like the Barnes up in Triangle Town Mall, for finding little treasures and conversation I like Readers Corner in Raleigh on Hillsbourgh Ave, and for volume of used books I like Ed Mckays Bookstore on Capital in Raleigh. My all time favorite is Haslemss Bookstore in St Pete Florida, Kerouac's Ghost is haunting it, thats cool, Kevin

message 5: by LemonLinda (new)

LemonLinda (lwilliamson0423) | 3 comments I also enjoy a good Barnes and Nobles - easy to find in whatever area you live. It is great to get a good coffee and find a great place to sit back and sample great reading material.

I will continue to enjoy and patronize B&Ns but I recieved a Kindle for Christmas so I will now download much of my reading material from the Amazon Kindle store. I love it - it is fabulous - a great way to read books, to receive and read weekly news magazines such as Time, Newsweek, etc. and not pile up all of those magazines to take to recycling as well as subscribe to all types of blogs - political, sports, entertainment, etc.

message 6: by Tracyene (new)

Tracyene | 7 comments I like Nice Price, also. It's always like a treasure hunt. Plus, the staff leave you alone. Thrift stores can be fun for the same reason--you never know what you'll find and the prices are great!

message 7: by Cate (new)

Cate | 3 comments You need to check out the Reader's Corner on Hillsborough Street in Raleigh and Pauper's Books in Clayton. Great places to find the classics, prices are low and it's like recycling!!

message 8: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (rfranke) | 1 comments I like the Regulator Bookshop in Durham and Malaprop's in Asheville. Both get great writers in and are heavily involved in their communities, and since I don't buy books often (libraries are my first choice), I like to do what I can to keep my money in those local economies.

message 9: by DonnaCarol (new)

DonnaCarol | 2 comments Malaprop's in Asheville is great. Personal one on one feel to it.
For a great Used Book Store, it is hard to beat" Mr. K's" also in Asheville. www.mrksonline.com for a huge selection and some great deals. 800 Fairview Rd. Asheville,NC for anyone not familiar with the area.

message 10: by Robert (new)

Robert St.Amant (robstamant) | 2 comments I also like Downtown Books and News in Asheville, for used books. Shopping for interesting used books is like treasure hunting.

message 11: by DonnaCarol (new)

DonnaCarol | 2 comments Robert wrote: "I also like Downtown Books and News in Asheville, for used books. Shopping for interesting used books is like treasure hunting."

That's a great way to describe it. That is why I could never be a strictly Kendle/gadget user. I love the ambiance, the smell, and the feel of a book in my hands. I'm reading one now on Kindle PC & am missing the "real book" page turning experiance. (There is a Book store that I enjoy exploring in Black Mountain called, Black Mountain Books & Cases. Specializes in rare and hard to find & out of print issues.

message 12: by Mark (new)

Mark Mortensen I often visit Edward McKay used bookstores in Greensboro and Winston-Salem. They have an excellent selection and due to high turnover the bookshelves are constantly restocked with fresh books.

message 13: by Robert (new)

Robert St.Amant (robstamant) | 2 comments DonnaCarol wrote: ...Black Mountain Books & Cases

Thanks for the recommendation, Donna. Next time I'm in the area...

message 14: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Quail Ridge Books in Raleigh is a wonderful place to get lost in browsing. Have a friend text you after an hour so you are not late for your life.

message 15: by David (new)

David Pierce (davidwpierce) | 3 comments Steven's Bookstore, which is located off of Capital Blvd in Raleigh...He also has an online catalogue for rare books

message 16: by Rachelle (new)

Rachelle (rachelles) | 2 comments Can't believe no one mention Quail Ridge Books in Raleigh!!! Informative and helpful staff. Tons of author events for adults and children across all genres. I love that place!

message 17: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Davis (swampbabe) | 1 comments Quail Ridge in Raleigh is awesome. Tons of local authors and southern fiction, and a wonderfully varied selection. Also, love Regulator in Durham.

message 18: by Tina (new)

Tina | 1 comments I like 2nd and charles , it's in Fayetteville . seems you guys are all in the Raleigh area though .

message 19: by Monique Johnson (new)

Monique Johnson | 2 comments Ditto

message 20: by Monique Johnson (new)

Monique Johnson | 2 comments Rachelle wrote: "Can't believe no one mention Quail Ridge Books in Raleigh!!! Informative and helpful staff. Tons of author events for adults and children across all genres. I love that place!"

Indeed

message 21: by martin (new)

martin (anovelidea) | 1 comments Ed McKay's and Reader's Corner! (Raleigh)

message 22: by Melanie Lawson (new)

Melanie Lawson | 1 comments I will 2nd Ed McKay's

message 23: by Marcia (new)

Marcia (bkswagger) | 2 comments Over Edward McKay in Greensboro they keep raising their prices for another $1 i can get a new paperback book. I don't understand why since they have way more customers then when I first started visiting in HS.But if I had not been a customer for so long I probably wouldn't have known so it wouldn't have bothered me.