European Royalty discussion

Other Discussions > Sex with the Queen

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I started this book today which I think I read about on this group. So far is very interesting and horrifying too! Thanks to whoever posted about this book. I am lost as to which discussion it was on.

message 2: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments I'd love to know what you think about it once you're finished! It's been on my to-read shelf forever. It seems fascinating!

message 3: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Has anyone read the Sex with Kings book? It's by the same author of this book.

message 4: by Laura (new)

Laura (schill27) I have been halfway through Sex with the Queen for a while now. It's my "here and there" book that I pick up when I'm bored. It's okay.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, I finished it last night and the last chapter about Princess Diana really upset me as I have long been a fan of hers. Herman trashes Diana so bad that I now believe her research may be very faulty and extremely biased as someone wrote in their critique of her writing.
I don't plan to read Sex with the King after this last and final chapter which she should have left off IMO.
sigh,Alice

message 6: by Laura (new)

Laura (schill27) I'm still slowly churning through this book. It's interesting but goes into such detail that I get slightly lost in parts. A much better read in my opinion is A Treasury of Royal Scandals by Michael Farquhar, which keeps the stories simple and juicy (just the way I like it). Farquhar also has a few other books out about American scandals as well. I have these books but have not read them yet.

message 7: by Angie (new)

Angie | 34 comments I read Sex with Kings and while I think her research was interesting it was arranged in a very scatological way, so I was confused about timelines and who was doing who and when. It may be, Alice, that she had to write this book as part of a contract based on Sex with Kings and so it wasn't as well thought-out as the Kings book. Cling to that. I love Di, too.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Glad to met another Princess Diana fan. I have Diana Her True Story or something like that. I used to be one also who would buy a magazine if it had her picture on the cover. I now realize I shouldn't have been doing that and it increased the harrassment she experienced in her life. Angie, were you the same?
Laura, I will try to keep this book in mind. Will go to your page and click on to be read as I need reminders. thanks,
Alice

message 9: by Sara W (last edited Jan 21, 2009 03:26PM) (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Alice, I bought magazines with Princess Diana's photos too. I cried when I heard that she died. I really liked her. You make a good point about the paparazzi - I never really thought about it at the time I was buying the magazines (although I try to avoid buying those types of celebrity magazines now for that reason - well, the harassment reason, not the dying part - that seems like an unfortunate and hopefully rare incident caused by the harassment).

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Sara, I really went into shock the day she died. I could barely function! I guess it was because I actually used to dream about her. I liked Charles OK before he married her and then treated her bad. Now I loathe him the spineless wimp. He should have married Camilla in the first place and never put Diana thru all that misery. I wish she could have found happiness. I am crying right now. I also cried lots over her.

message 11: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Speaking of Camilla and Charles, are they getting divorced? My husband thought he heard that somewhere and told me, but I have no idea if it's true. Has anyone else heard that, or is my husband just crazy?

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I saw that while standing in line at the grocery store on one of the scandal sheets but of course you can never believe them unless you believe Men In Black, LOL! Do vote for the sexiest books on the new books your maiden aunt wouldn't read or something like that! Also there is a new poll for the best animal books.

message 13: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Wilkerson (misslaurenwilk) I've got both Sex w/ Kings and Sex w/ Queens... but I'm only about a third the way through the Kings one. It's interesting, but hard to stick with.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Bet the Queens is better as I could hardly put it down.

message 15: by Angie (new)

Angie | 34 comments I was an exchange student in England and she died shortly after I was back in the States. It was just so hard to believe. I was not a big collector, my mom was and she was ecstatic when the Princess Di exhibit came to the Dayton Art Institute. She went at least 4 times. I'll be interested to see the Sex with Queens book when I find one.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I got it out of the library but I guess the Colorado Springs area has a good system. They say we have a bigger circulation than Boston!!!

Isn't it fun being in England? I was over there for a year and also loved it.