The New Weird discussion

A film is getting made from one of C. Mieville's stories

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Steven (new)

Steven | 91 comments Mod
http://rhlibrary.wordpress.com/2008/1...

Is this going to be the first Horror film inspired by the new weird?

Has anyone read this story?

message 2: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 30 comments yes i have read Un Lun Dun it is the only book he has written that he says is for a younger audience but critics argue that it has a lot of underlying adult themes. I'm also re-reading Looking For Jake which is a bunch af short stories and one novella called the Tain that has also been published seperately.
I have read everyone of Mieville's books, he being one of my favorite authors. I think his book the Scar is his best. It is book 2 in the bas-lag trilogy, after Perdido St Sta
Am hoping that this is true about there being a movie coming and that it holds true to his vision

message 3: by Steven (new)

Steven | 91 comments Mod
Thanks for all the information, Amanda.

I found Perdido Street station slightly better than Scar. The ending is a bit stronger in my opinion, but, I must say when the Possible Sword is finally used in Scar that was one of the best scenes from any novel I ever read.

Welcome to our club.

message 4: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 30 comments thanx for the welcome!

message 5: by Steven (new)

Steven | 91 comments Mod
Amanda wrote: "thanx for the welcome!"

No problem. What's your opinion on the best Non-Bas-lag story? I've just read the three Bas-lag books and Un Lun Dun.

message 6: by Josh (new)

Josh Sonnier | 22 comments I just finished Scar, and the possible sword scene is impressive, Steve. Finally, a real-life application of all that quantum mechanics jibber-jabber (get it...jabber).

message 7: by Steven (new)

Steven | 91 comments Mod
Another favorite part for me was when the one guy made out with the Lovecraftian statue and killed like a 100 guys with his vomit.

message 8: by Josh (new)

Josh Sonnier | 22 comments The unspeakably ancient and alien beings from the impossible depths was a nice touch. I was hesitant to describe it in the earlier post, for obvious reasons.

message 9: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 30 comments Steven wrote: "Amanda wrote: "thanx for the welcome!"

No problem. What's your opinion on the best Non-Bas-lag story? I've just read the three Bas-lag books and Un Lun Dun."

Which non Bas lag do you mean? Un Lun Dun? I thought it was excellent, especially for a younger age group like he says he wrote it for. Very cute story that could have been awful under a less talented persons pen, with the sentience of garbage and all
On that post you had up about the movie it said horror and showed Un Lun Dun and Looking For Jake, I'm thinking it's going to combine the novel with a short story from the Jake book called Familiar because it's a horror about a witch's familar that he lets go and it grows on it's own using inanimate objects like umbrellas and such. Un Lun Dun isn't a really a scary book so I bet they're going to somehow combine the two. I don't know, just a thought.

Have you read King Rat? That's a good one of his too. A very dark tale loosely based on the pied piper.

message 10: by Steven (new)

Steven | 91 comments Mod
I haven't read King Rat yet. I'll eventually get around to everything he's written though. I haven't been disappointed by any of his books.

message 11: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 30 comments Steven wrote: "I haven't read King Rat yet. I'll eventually get around to everything he's written though. I haven't been disappointed by any of his books."

me neither, he's definitely one of my favorite authors