Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Finish Line 2009! > Kristen's 50 Book Challenge for 2009

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristen (last edited Jan 10, 2009 12:33PM) (new)

message 2: by Kristen (new)

message 3: by Kristen (new)

Kristen 3) 1/16/09 The Last Lecture

message 4: by Kristen (new)

Kristen 4) 1/21/09 Plum Lovin'
I love these Between the Numbers books!

message 5: by Kristen (new)

Kristen 5) 1/30/09 Dreams from My Father A Story of Race and Inheritance
A great book if you're looking to find out where our president comes from. He states right up front that the book could have/should have been shorter, but it's written just like he speaks.

message 6: by Kristen (new)

Kristen 6) 2/16/09 Empire Falls This book felt like a marathon to me. I was gripped for some parts, and then just totally didn't buy other parts. Overall entertaining.

message 7: by Kristen (new)

Kristen 7) 2/21/09 Q & A Loved this book and really want to see the movie, though movies never give the book justice. A very fast read, lost of well-developed characters, unbelievable at times, but it works.

message 8: by Kristen (new)

Kristen 8) 2/24/09 Plum Lucky

message 9: by Kristen (new)

Kristen 9) 3/5/09 Moneyball The Art of Winning an Unfair Game Interesting read, and a great way to help pass spring training!

message 10: by Molly (new)

Molly | 330 comments Kristen wrote: "9) 3/5/09 Moneyball The Art of Winning an Unfair Game Interesting r..."

I enjoyed Moneyball but I really liked his next book, The Blind Side Evolution of a Game. It is about the rise to importance of the left tackle position in football, but more so the very remarkable story of a young boy and his own evolution through tough times.

message 11: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Molly wrote: "Kristen wrote: "9) 3/5/09 [b:Moneyball The Art of Winning an Unfair Game|1301|Moneyball The Art of Winning an Unfair Game|Michael Lewis|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1158......"

I actually read the Blind Side first. I am curious if the kid from the Blind Side will get drafted this year!

message 12: by Kristen (new)

Kristen 10) 3/6/09 Dewey The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World Such a sad book! Quick read, parts had me laughing out loud and the end had me crying like a baby.

message 13: by Molly (new)

Molly | 330 comments Kristen wrote: "Molly wrote: "Kristen wrote: "9) 3/5/09 [b:Moneyball The Art of Winning an Unfair Game|1301|Moneyball The Art of Winning an Unfair Game|Michael Lewis|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1158......"

Me too! I saw his parents interviewed during his Bowl Game - I had forgotten that he was still in college.

message 14: by Kristen (new)

Kristen 11) 3/15/09 Stalking Irish Madness Searching for the Roots of My Family's Schizophrenia

I really was disappointed with this book. The subject matter had a lot of potential but I felt like it dragged and I didn't really know where the author was trying to go. That coupled with doing this kind of work for a living it just seemed like a lot and I was disappointed and not really entertained.

message 15: by Kristen (new)

Kristen 12) 3/20/09 The Day I Turned Uncool Confessions of a Reluctant Grown-up
I was definitely disappointed with the book, I was dying reading the description for the book, but felt like the book left me wanting more, and overall not very satisfied.

message 16: by Kristen (new)

Kristen 13) 3/28/09 Mister Pip The book was ok, a fairly quick read. Makes me want to re-visit some of Dickens, though I wonder if I would have a similar experience at the end to the narrator...

message 18: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Geier (onelink) | 70 comments Kristen wrote: "11) 3/15/09 [b:Stalking Irish Madness Searching for the Roots of My Family's Schizophrenia|3097553|Stalking Irish Madness Searching for the Roots of My Family's Schizophrenia|Patrick Tracey|http:..."

I felt the same way about Stalking Irish Madness. I was really excited to read the book and felt the author just didn't execute his thoughts well.

message 19: by Kristen (new)

Kristen 15) 4/25/09 Lost in a Good Book

message 22: by Kristen (new)

Kristen 18) 5/31/09 Much To Your Chagrin A Memoir of Embarassment - Suzanne Guillette

message 23: by Kristen (new)

Kristen 19) 6/10/09 Diary

message 25: by Kristen (new)

Kristen 21) 6/16/09 Lying Awake Though the subject matter was thought-provoking I felt like I wanted a little more from this book. Overall an interesting read and it begs a lot of questions and discussions. i'd say a perfect book club book.

message 26: by Kristen (new)

Kristen 22) 7/3/09 Angels & Demons- I was a little disappointed after people told me they liked this book more than The DaVinci Code. I felt like the ending dragged and was about 50 pages too long. There were parts I couldn't put down, but too many parts that were slow-going and the superego of the main character at times really got on my nerves..

message 27: by Susanna (last edited Jul 04, 2009 06:16AM) (new)

Susanna (jb_slasher) Kristen wrote: "22) 7/3/09 Angels & Demons- I was a little disappointed after people told me they liked this book more than The DaVinci Code. I felt like the ending dragged and was about 50 pages too l..."

Yes, my thoughts EXACTLY. I wasn't too fond of The Da Vinci Code either. I just couldn't make myself pick up either of these books to finish in a reasonable time, so to speak. I spent months reading each. So I wasn't a huge fan of Dan Brown when my brother bought me Digital Fortress but I am so glad he did. I couldn't put it down and read it in four days which for me is really fast, and especially fast compared to the Langdon books. I still haven't read Deception Point but it's on my to-read list. And I guess I'll read the third Langdon book despite not liking the first two.

message 28: by Aprile (new)

Aprile (aprileb) "Digital Fortress" is one of the better ones.

I HATED the ending of "Angels and Demons". I was completely unimpressed and was actually thrilled when they changed it in the movie.

message 29: by Kristen (new)

Kristen 23) Choke- I really liked this book!

24) Flowers for Algernon- I also really enjoyed this one!

25) I Was Told There'd Be Cake- At times I laughed out loud in this one, but other times I felt like the author tried too hard and it made some of the stories less enjoyable. I did like her better than Sedaris though.

message 31: by Kristen (new)

Kristen 27) 7/17/09 The Other Side of Desire Four Journeys into the Far Realms of Lust and Longing well-written and interesting studies on sexuality based on four "deviants" from the norm. It brings up a lot of questions and interesting discussions.

message 32: by Kristen (new)

Kristen 28) Prep A Novel While I only gave the book 3 stars I thought it was a decent read. The main character was a train wreck and at times really drove me nuts. If I can remember the egocentricity of the adolescent and also how tough it must be to leave your family. However, I still was at times annoyed with the main character.

message 34: by Kristen (new)

Kristen 30) Julie and Julia 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen Utterly disappointing and took me a really long time to get into. I dont feel like it really gave me what I was looking for. At this rate, I'm never going to make 50!!!

message 35: by Kristen (new)

Kristen 31) 8/29/09 Skeletons at the Feast - good read, I enjoy his writing style and look forward to reading more of his books.

message 36: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Sermeno (twitterpated) | 26 comments Kristen wrote: "2) 1/13/09 The Pact: A Love Story"

Did you enjoy this book, i've been thinkings about reading it, but haven't gotten to it yet. I read one of her other books; My sister's keeper and really enjoyed it.