Movies We've Just Watched discussion

the prestige

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 50 comments I wasn't sure what to think of this movie. ***SPOILER***
I was disappointed that it ended with the supernatural. I thought that was cheating a bit. Not to mention that the red herrings were swimming up stream in a frenzy. What did you think?

The best and worst part of the movie was the way it was written--intercutting between the past, present and then taking us into the future. Your perception of the characters kept shifting as well which was also refreshing. Until the end. Then I felt that the last scenes really let the rest of the movie down with ultimately taking sides. hmmm

message 2: by Ceci (new)

Ceci (cecialbiceleste) | 529 comments This is one of my all time favorite movies... really amazing on so many levels. I'm not sure I'd describe the ending as supernatural... it was more science fiction.

message 3: by Maryse (new)

Maryse (belle_maryse) | 66 comments The ending was a bit of a let down for me too. The movie was building up for something big so I was expecting a lot for the ending and what came out was good, a little surprising, but, yeah, it did feel a little like cheating.

Nevertheless, I think the story really wanted to center more on the relationship between Bale and Jackman's character and how their feud was pushing them to the extremes. The reasons for the tricks became incidental to the feud, so I can forgive them for the disappointing ending. I still loved the movie. The script was good, as Jackie says, and so was the acting. I think the movie was based on a book, which I haven't read yet although I'm interested to see how the movie compares to it.

message 4: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (alchimera) | 1 comments I agree with all the praise for the writing and acting. Having just seen this last night, my head is still spinning from the film's concepts.

Perhaps the story also wanted to develop the idea of how lust for power and fortune can force one into polarizing himself -- you are always living in dual nature, splitting yourself within your life. It's not exactly a 'Jekyll and Hyde' kind of split, but it does point to the struggle to be content with life, yet yearn for recognition.

message 5: by Jackie (last edited Jan 11, 2009 04:36PM) (new)

Jackie | 50 comments Amanda wrote: "I agree with all the praise for the writing and acting. Having just seen this last night, my head is still spinning from the film's concepts.

Perhaps the story also wanted to develop the idea o..."

I agree . . . at the same time, the tragic death of Jackman's (actor--forgot the character's spelling Angier?) wife was truly upsetting. Without knowing the ending, it did feel very callous for Bale's character to keep replying that he wasn't sure which knot he tied. If he and his brother were going to keep switching, why didn't his brother simply confide to the other brother which knot he had tied and express empathy for the woman's death--although I am aware that she had falsely declared that she could escape such a knot therefore implicating herself in her own death to some degree.

This initial sympathy for Jackman's character was difficult to overcome as the movie progressed. The horror of all of those dead bodies killed each night was not completely made clear so his final horrific demise wasn't immediately apparent. But maybe that was the point.

Did anyone understand the significance of 100 performances? I wasn't quite sure about that. My best guess was that it was bait--or what he thought it would take to lure his competitor to the performance eventually.

message 6: by Becca (new)

Becca (becca2) | 86 comments Jackie--I think the whole point of the "I don't know" reply was from the brother who was kinder and he wouldn't know if his brother's answer was the truth or not. His brother was more driven and more of a risk taker.

The irony is that Jackman's character was never convinced about the "twin" trick being the answer, and yet it was. He was always looking for something beyond the obvious, and, thus, he found Tesla in his search.

Cissy--I also agree that I think of the ending as being more science fiction than supernatural.

nightwing_shawshank | 7 comments the final scene was really queer