Stephen King Fans discussion

Stephen King Goes to the Movies
This topic is about Stephen King Goes to the Movies
Short Stories & Collections > Stephen King Goes to the Movies

Comments Showing 1-50 of 78 (78 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

Angie | 2543 comments Mod
Is anyone picking up this book this month? I don't think there is a thread on this book yet. For those who don't know what it is about here is a description:

Stephen King revisits five of his favorite short stories that have been turned into films: The Shawshank Redemption (based on the novella "Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption") was nominated for seven Academy Awards, including Best Picture and best actor for Morgan Freeman. 1408 starred John Cusack and Samuel L. Jackson and was a huge box office success in 2007. The short story "Children of the Corn" was adapted into the popular Children of the Corn. The Mangler was inspired by King's loathing for laundry machines from his own experience working in a laundromat. Hearts in Atlantis (based on "Low Men in Yellow Coats," the first part of the novel Hearts in Atlantis) starred Anthony Hopkins.

This collection features new commentary and introductions to all of these stories in a treasure-trove of movie trivia.

message 2: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Oh, I totally would, if I wasn't on a self-induced year long book-buying ban!! :(

Rachel | 701 comments i can't wait for this book to come out!

Rachel | 701 comments When is Easter?

message 5: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Thanks for the vote of confidence Rob!

message 6: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

I too think it is weird that he is discussing Hearts in Atlantis. My library doesn't have this book ordered yet so I will request it in Feb and see if they get it.

Becky you are not going to buy a book for the whole year? Are you rereading books?

message 7: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Haha! No, I wouldn't be depriving myself if I didn't already have new books to read. I am reading the 112 books that I own but haven't read yet. I even went so far as to create a challenge for myself: See?

*sigh* I just have to keep telling myself that all the money I save this year will be worth it!

message 8: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

Oh No! How will you read along with the group without buying a new book? Unless you own all of King;s books?

Kandice | 3945 comments Becky-None at all? Not even used books, thrift store, garage sale, whatever? I would never have the fortitude!!!!!

message 10: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) None... No used books, no borrowed books, no library books, no PBS or BookMooch books. Nothing!

I own almost all of King's books, so I should be good in that way. Angie, I'll leave it up to you as co-mod to arrange for monthly reads that cater to me! (Just kidding!)

Only have 355 days to go!

Kandice | 3945 comments Well, good luck with that! I have tons of books sitting around that I purchased, just dying to read, but then... something else came along. If I had any discipline I would try what you are doing. I know I don't:)! Well, there's something to be said about recognizing and admitting your faults too, right?

Rachel | 701 comments I love your list Becky! I've read quite a few of those books and you're in for an interesting year.

message 13: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Thanks Rachel!

I just need to remind myself that I bought all of these books because I want to read them... Now I just need to get busy on the actual READING part! I hope to have at least 75% read by the end of the year.

message 14: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) HA! I know the feeling Rob. I actually should be sleeping now, considering that I have to work in the morning, but instead, I'm here, chit-chatting away...

And yes, library books would help my wallet, but not so much with my mountain of unread books. Once I have whittled it down some though, I will be visiting my library much more often, even though it offers some pretty slim pickins too. I miss my old library!

I shall do my best... and I promise to be honest if I cave and buy a book. So you can all laugh and exchange money. ;)

Steve | 247 comments His choices of films to cover does seem odd, as does the whole concept itself. But I would prefer to hear his take on a number of different movies, good or bad-whether he likes them or not. This feels like the print form of a features-packed DVD. (As far as Hearts In Atlantis is concerned, I still think someone should film the actual title story.

Rachel | 701 comments I looked this book up on Borders.com at work tonight and i think the only reason i would buy it is his insights into the movies made from those stories. I already own most of the stories themselves in other collections.

Kandice | 3945 comments I went to the bookstore this weekend with every intention of buying this book. I ended up looking through it as I was waiting for Bardy, and I put it back. There's just a real quick foreword to each story by King with his take on the movie. I could have read those in, like, ten minutes! I own all those stories in some form or another already and just didn't see spending the money on it. It may be the only book of his I DON"T buy. (cheapskate)

message 18: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

So the book is the short stories with a forward?

Kandice | 3945 comments Yes, exactly! It's only a page or two before each actual short story. You could read anything extra in such a short time it just seems frivolous, unless you don't already own them all. I guess it would be good to have them all in one volume.

Kandice | 3945 comments Yep! :)

message 21: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

Now that IS a waste of money. What a joke. I am really surprised I didn't expect that at all. I thought this book was going to be similar to On Writing.

message 22: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Well that explains why King's version of The Shining wasn't included- it's not a short story and wouldn't fit in the book.

message 23: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

So I check out this book in the book store. It isn't even in hardback straight to paperback. And the forward is like one page long. I read all of them in about 5 minutes. Is this book a money maker or what?

Kandice | 3945 comments I think, for people who are just dicovering King, it's a good way to get a compilation of some of his best short stories. I think of it as a "Greatest Hits" kind of thing. If you really like the band, you don't mind buying those, right?

message 25: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) But to me it seems like a cheat... It's not technically advertising his short-stories as a "best of" book, its hooking people in with the thought that King is going to write about the movies with comparisons to the stories and how he liked the adaptations etc.

Its implying that they are going to show us a little glimse into King's head, and I suppose they DO, but a one page blurb (or less) prefacing the stories themselves is not what I had in mind.

I want a play-by-play comparison. I want King to say WHY he chose the director and whether he liked the actors, and if he thought that the mood was right for the story... I just want more than this book is offering.

message 26: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

Yea I really don't like how it was advertised. I don't even see a mention in the description that the short stories are being reprinted. I thought the book was all going to be King's point of view like On Writing.

Kandice | 3945 comments I have a guilty admission. I read all the little forewords, or whatever they are calling them, in Barnes and Nobles, without buying the book. I DO think they should be more clear that they are all reprints, but I can also see how someone may want them. I was mostly disapointed because it looked so nice and thick, and then it was just... well, you know.

message 28: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) If that.

Tim (Mole) The Gunslinger (Mole) | 128 comments Your probably right Rob! Oh hello everyone long time no see so to speak!lol

Rachel | 701 comments Hi Mole, welcome back! I bought this book thinking the forwards would be more like commentaries and there would be more information. Promptly put it up for The Living Dead anthology and only plan to go back for the stories like Children of The Corn and The Mangler that I have no other current access to

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 665 comments For me, I think, it's great. Some people know these movies, but possibly don't know that they were originally stories by Stephen King. So it's a great way of saying.....check this out, guess who wrote the original story for your favorite movies! Whatever brings people over this our side, the better! :)

message 32: by Angie, Constant Reader (last edited Feb 09, 2009 08:20AM) (new)

Some pics from the illustrated version:

description

message 33: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

description

Rachel | 701 comments there's an illustrated version?

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 665 comments I was just going to ask the same question??????

message 36: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

It only has like four illustrations. These are two and then there are close ups of the posters seen in these pics.

Rachel | 701 comments oh boo

message 38: by Chris , The Hardcase (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chris  (haughtc) | 1099 comments Mod
I'm reading this now. I didn't discover until after buying it that it had about 6 pages of new material/commentary in it. Those are good, but brief. This book could have been so much more...

But I'm reading it. After paying for it, I might as well. And I haven't read most of the stories in several years, so I am enjoying the book. They could have just been more clear on exactly what was being offered....

message 39: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Yeah, that seems to be the main complaint about it, Chris! I'll pass on buying that one. I have all of those stories in other collections.

message 40: by Chris , The Hardcase (new) - rated it 4 stars

I should point out too that the stories included in this book aren't necessarily the ones that King liked in movie form. In addition to the brief commentaries and the 5 stories, there is a list of his top 10 adaptations in alphabetical order. Only two of those 10 are included in this volume.....

Rachel | 701 comments yeah isn't The Mangler the inspiration for The Lawnmower Man, the movie so loosely based on the story he sued the producton?

message 42: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) The Lawnmower Man was the worst adaptation I've ever seen! I think the only thing they kept the same was the title.

Kandice | 3945 comments I think what made it worse, was that the original short story was genuinely disturbing to me. I don;t even know why. I remember reading it when I was fairly young, and I actually had a bad dream about it. That's unusual for me.
It's funny how some stories just strike us in the exactly the right, or wrong way, depending on when we read them. I don't know of anything in my life that was relevant at the time, but it disturbed me enough, that I have skipped over it a few times when I re-read that book. (scaredy cat!)

message 44: by Chris , The Hardcase (new) - rated it 4 stars

needless to say, "The Lawnmower Man" wasn't on his top 10

message 45: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I know what you mean Kandice... That's one reason why I've avoided trying to read Anne of Green Gables, believe it or not... I remember the beginning being SO SLOW that I just could not get into it at all.

Rachel | 701 comments my bad, sorry.

Kandice | 3945 comments I just don't think it would translate visually. I mean, what actor is going to be able to really creep us out by offing his clothes and eating grass? I think it would come across as crazy or comical, but in my mind's eye, it was really, really freaky. I think that's why so many movie adaptations of King's books just don't work. We have better imaginations than we give ourselves credit for.

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 665 comments Kandice wrote: "I just don't think it would translate visually. I mean, what actor is going to be able to really creep us out by offing his clothes and eating grass? I think it would come across as crazy or comica..."

I completely agree! Those movie guys need to just leave well enough alone!

message 49: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Rob, that guy is creepy! I don't know if I would want to see him nekkid and eating grass though.

message 50: by Lonnie (new)

Lonnie William H. Macy could be the Lawnmower man. That guy will drop his clothes at the drop of a hat. I could totally see him doing it.

« previous 1