Language & Grammar discussion

Language in Literature > Dictionaries

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mikki (new)

Mikki (AussieTwins99) | 27 comments Ok! I used to follow the Oxford dictionary which went well if I wanted to learn British English. then I decided its best to try something else and now seeing as I am no longer in Australia I have discovered Americans like the Webster. Of course there are numerous dictionaries to choose from, and today the advent of the internet makes English even more challanging! So What do you use , which English is correct, cause in my book they no longer speak correct English in Britain, The Americans have their own lingo and I spell Mum differently due to my Strine! What do I use for my children to follow!

message 2: by Debbie, sardonic princess of cheerfulness (new)

Debbie (sardonicprincessofcheerfulness) | 6391 comments Mod
Mikki....for clarification on this issue....find the True North group...there is a discussion there called 'This is America - SPEAK Engish". This will answer some of your questions.

message 3: by Ken (new)

Ken | 17812 comments Mod
I think you use the English of the land you happen to live in (and to raise your children in). The King's English is a manufacture of the King, of course. All variations of English are like mutts, including Great Britain's. My two cents.

-- True Northeast

message 4: by David (new)

David | 4568 comments If you want to learn about English as she is spoke among the Yanks, read H.L. Mencken's "The American Language."

All the rest is academic dreck.

message 5: by Mikki (new)

Mikki (AussieTwins99) | 27 comments Mikki wrote: "Ok! I used to follow the Oxford dictionary which went well if I wanted to learn British English. then I decided its best to try something else and now seeing as I am no longer in Australia I have d..."
אHANKS ןLL TRY ITֱ

message 6: by Lea (new)

Lea | 18 comments Hi, I realize that this topic was created to discuss English-language dictionaries, but I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations for French-English dictionaries?

message 7: by Ken (new)

Ken | 17812 comments Mod
Personne?

message 8: by Lea (new)

Lea | 18 comments Newengland wrote: "Personne?"

apparement

Jan (the Gryphon) (yogryphongmailcom) | 214 comments For English, I do like Webster's--online at www.M-W.com. This was the dictionary I used to read when most children my age were reading Batman comics--late at night under the covers with the flashlight.

However, The American Heritage Dictionary, which is slightly younger than I, has a slightly less academic feel to the descriptive wording. It is my choice of late night obsessive vocabulary building.

message 10: by Ken (new)

Ken | 17812 comments Mod
I still heart my Webster's Seventh New Collegiate Dictionary. "T'is but a scratch, but it will do."

message 11: by Beejay (last edited May 12, 2009 11:40PM) (new)

Beejay Must admit, it must be all the old British ancestors but I still like the Oxford. Could not abide the Macquarie (Australian) dictionary - any "dictionary" which has the word "youse" in it is bad, bad, bad in my books. What next, "coz"?

message 12: by Heather L (new)

Heather L (wordtrix) Lea - Since it appears noone answered your question... I have THE CONCISE OXFORD FRENCH DICTIONARY, which was recommended by my college French professor, born and bred in France. It goes well with 501 FRENCH VERBS.

The English dictionary I use most often is MERRIAM WEBSTER'S DELUXE DICTIONARY (tenth collegiate edition)

message 13: by Mikki (new)

Mikki (AussieTwins99) | 27 comments Ok! Now I've decided to change the topic to broaden it! If you wanted to study a language other than English which dictionary would you use to assist you in mastering the language or the dialect? If the grammar is difficult which dictionary is preferable to use in order for an English native to understand?
When replying state the language and dialect you are referring to...

message 14: by Savvy (new)

Savvy  (savvysuzdolcefarniente) | 1455 comments Here's a NEW ONE!

http://twittonary.com/

message 15: by Symbol (last edited Aug 27, 2009 10:06AM) (new)

Symbol | 51 comments For Spanish I use Real Academia Espanola.

Honestly though, when I'm learning a new language, my focus tends to be on grammar rather than vocabulary. Yes, vocab is necessary, but it's not my main interest. When I'm learning a new language I'm looking for a good tutorial or grammar guide; dictionaries are only a secondary concern.

That being said, if I come across any particularly good/helpful ones, I'll post them here.

Edit: For French, of course, you can venture over to l'Academie Francaise.

I use a combination of Dictionary.com and my trusty OED for English.

I have found an English-Greek dictionary online, but I find that it leaves something to be desired. It's a little buggy; the lookup only works one way; and the whole thing is just a series of scanned images of pages from a printed, hard-copy dictionary. If anyone knows of a better one, please let me know! I should mention though, that this is an Attic Greek dictionary, not modern Greek. There are plenty of modern Greek translators and dictionaries kicking around online, but very few exist for ancient Greek. (Or, at least, I've not found very many.)

Also, if anyone knows of a good online Tagalog dictionary, please tell me where to find it! I am looking for a Tagalog-only dictionary. Not an English-to (or vice versa). I just want the Tagalog words and their definitions (in Tagalog). This has been surprisingly hard to find. All the Tagalog/Filipino dictionaries that I've encountered are bilingual/translating dictionaries.

message 16: by Chris (new)

Chris | 1 comments the chambers dictionary.