What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. Large Foster Family - Nonfiction - Rural Area - Older Parents

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lynn (last edited Jan 09, 2009 08:18PM) (new)

Lynn | 16 comments I thought this book was called "Always Room For One More" or something along those lines but I've been searching and nothing similar has come up. It's an adult nonfiction bio type book about an older couple living in the mountains of Kentucky (I THINK.. this may be incorrect). They have raised many foster children and usually have somewhere in the double digits at one time. I think the cover was a picture of the couple surrounded by children in front of their house. I started reading it on a trip years ago (one of those books you could pick up in the lobby area) but didn't get to finish. I would love to find it so I could continue reading.

message 2: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 52 comments Do you know how recent the book is? Your description has some things (not everything) in common with the book The Family Nobody Wanted by Helen Doss, an older book about a couple that adopts a large multiracial family.

message 3: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 16 comments hmmm.. I looked it up on goodreads and it doesn't really look like the one I'm looking for.. but close! I know there were some children of different races in this family. I think I first saw this book in the late 90s, but I think it was older than that... I want to say mid-80s.

message 4: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 16 comments 19 Steps Up the Mountain: The Story of the DeBolt Family seems to be close to what I'm looking for.. but I'm not sure if it is or not... However, looking at this book, it does SEEM as if in the book I read there were several children with different types of physical and developmental/intellectual disabilities.

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1382 comments Yeah, I posted 19 Steps Up the Mountain then deleted because I don't think they lived in the mountains in Kentucky.

message 6: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 16 comments I'm not sure if it was the mountains of KY/TN. I just feel like they lived in a rural mountain area... although I could be TOTALLY off.

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1382 comments I don't think the deBolts did but you might want to look at 19 Steps Up the Mountain. It was a good book. They also did a tv special on this family. The era is right, I think. The family sounds similar.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22...

message 8: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37562 comments Mod
The family of "19 Steps" lived in Piedmont, California which is just east of Oakland. It doesn't seem that rural, looking at the map.

http://www.people.com/people/archive/...

Also since Lynn left the group, I'm moving this to Abandoned.

message 9: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 15752 comments I know this is abandoned, but could be Patchwork Clan. The paperback cover kinda fits.

Patchwork Clan by Doris Herold Lund