The Poisonwood Bible The Poisonwood Bible discussion

Marianne's Review

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Yvonne (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:08PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yvonne Poisonwood Bible is a powerful book. I thought the characters were very well developed through the technique of writing each chapter from a particular character’s perspective.

The events in the book touched me deeply with feelings of sadness and despair. There was also hope, however, in the love Leah and Anatole possessed for each other and their children as well as courage and strong moral fiber in the actions of Leah and Anatole. I found myself asking, what would I do in their position?

More so than many other books I’ve read, I was able to relate to the book’s message. It’s a message, I think, of using a humanitarian intention to force others to do things a certain way deemed superior to their way. (In my world I call it trying to fix other people.) The father in the story didn’t care how his coercion was affecting the people of the Congo. He was going to save them at all cost and, as a result, he left them worse off than before he came. His family was worse off as well. They lost faith in God and felt a huge amount of guilt for what happened to the Congolese people. This is not to mention the physical suffering they endured.

I found the historical facts about the U.S.’s involvement in Africa enlightening and discouraging.

A favorite scene for me was when Anatole was taking care of Leah when she had malaria. She says, “For my whole sixteen years I’ve rarely thought I was worth much more than a distracted grumbled from God. But now in my shelter of all things impossible, I drift in a warm bath of forgiveness, and it seems pointless to resist. I have no energy for improving myself. If Anatole can wrap all my rattlebone sins in a blanket and call me goodness itself, why then I’ll just believe him.” How wonderful to let go and give in to someone who accepts you as you are! Maybe now you can accept yourself.

Cecilia Carreon It has been a few years since i read this book. But from what i remember i LOVED it. Esp Leah and Anatole their relationship really touched me. I didnt see the book going that way at all. I only read it because of school but i couldnt put it down. I thinks its time i reread it :) Thanks

Melissa Dura I love this book. Again, it has been a long time since I read it and could do with re-reading. However, I do remember the thing that impressed me the most was the way some of it was written from Adah's perspective.

Vallory This is one of my favorite books of all times. There are the haunting scenes of the ants that are with me to do this day as vivid as the moment I read them. You are right you find yourself asking - What would I have done?