The Next Best Book Club discussion

Newbies Corner > New from Nashville

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jessica_lee) | 44 comments Hey yall, I joined a little while ago and thought I would check in.

This place is so cool!

message 2: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 1000 comments Hello, from one Jessica to another! You've found a great group! Have fun and enjoy.

message 4: by Atishay (new)

Atishay | 1451 comments Welcome !

message 5: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (hayes13) Hi Jessica (other one too!) Happy reading!

message 6: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10021 comments Mod
Hi Jessica.
Welcome to the group, and thanks for introducing yourself. I hope to see out and about in the threads!

message 7: by Lisa Julianna (new)

Lisa Julianna (lisajulianna) | 1053 comments Hi Jessica, Welcome to the group!!!

message 8: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cindypliego) hello Jessica :)

Petra X has the munchies (petra-x) Hi there :-)

message 10: by Eric (new)

Eric | 382 comments Welcome to the group!

message 11: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Welcome Jessica!

message 12: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Hi Jessica,
Welcome! How are you enjoying The Golden Notebook? I just finished Prisons We Choose to Live Inside, also by Doris Lessing, and loved it. Was thinking of reading The Golden Notebook soon.

message 13: by Linda (new)

Linda | 887 comments Hey Jessica. Welcome from one Nashvillean to another. We also have another member of the clan among the GR Authors - Susan Gregg Gilmore - Looking for Salvation at the Dairy Queen. If you haven't already done so, you might also check out J.T. Ellison who's mysteries take place in Nashville.

message 14: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (hayes13) Andrew + Jessica - have you read Shikasta by Doris Lessing? What did you think?

I've started it about 3 times, but I just can't get it to take off. I have loved alot of otehr things by lessing; if it's going to get better, I'll try to struggle thru it one last time...

message 15: by Vincent (new)

Vincent Lowry (vlowry) | 134 comments Welcome to the group!

message 16: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Hi Hayes,
No I haven't read Shikasta - apart from Prisons we Choose to Live Inside the only other Lessing book I've read was The Black Madonna, which I wasn't crazy about. I find it hard to imagine Doris Lessing doing sci fi somehow! Might check it out.

message 17: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 69 comments Welcome Jessica!

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

A big hello & welcome!

message 19: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jessica_lee) | 44 comments Hayes & Andrew
I hate t disappoint...but I have had to take a break from the Golden Notebook. I am about a third of the way through and just hate it. It was written in the sixties and maybe I just don't have the perspective on it, but mostly the book just drags. I have noticed her more recent books are much shorter so maybe she is so unecessarily wordy because she is a younger author...I really hope it gets better. I let you know when I finish.

message 20: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Good to know. Thanks, Jessica. Of the two I've read by her, one I loved and one I really didn't like. So I guess I'll choose the next one carefully!

message 21: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (hayes13) Ditto... I liked the diaries of Jane Somers, and her stories about cats, and another again, title of which escapes me, but didn't like a proper marriage and can't get into shikasta...

Jessica, I think you're right about the style being dated, but mostly it's so dark and depressing.

message 22: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments Hayes wrote: "Andrew + Jessica - have you read Shikasta by Doris Lessing? What did you think?

I've started it about 3 times, but I just can't get it to take off. I have loved alot of otehr things by lessing..."

hayes, have you read anything else by her? I have her on my tbr list since years and still didn't read anything from her...

message 23: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (hayes13) Yes: The Diaries of Jane Somers The Diary of a Good Neighbor and If The Old Could by Doris Lessing

(interestingly - she wrote these "diaries" under the name Jane Somers to expose the difficulties that new authors, esp. women, had getting their books published. She was turned down by everyone except her own longtime publisher, who accepted them because they reminded him of Lessing.)

Particularly cats (A Fireside book) by Doris Lessing nice

Proper Marriage (Children of Violence, Book 2) by Doris Lessing but I hadn't read book one of the series, so I wasn't enjoying it and stopped.

message 24: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 163 comments Welcome, Jessica. I lived in Nashville for 20 years but now live in Columbia.

message 25: by Robin (new)

Robin (robinsullivan) | 997 comments hello,
I've been out of town for a few days and not on the board - just wanted to welcome you to the group!