IRT & Co SciFi/Fantasy discussion

Book of the Month > Suggestions

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tyler (new)

Tyler | 21 comments Mod
Would anyone like to make suggestions for book of the month? I figure it's not too late to start this month. My vote is for the first in the Mistborn series.

Mistborn: The Final Empire

message 2: by Corvidae (new)

Corvidae | 15 comments Urg, I know its hard to avoid in our favorite genre, but I would prefer NOT reading series-books as a book of the month. UNLESS its in a short, completed series, like a trilogy. Just my vote, tho.

message 3: by Tyler (new)

Tyler | 21 comments Mod
The mistborn series is only a trilogy, and it's very much already done. But if there's another one you'd prefer, please make a suggestion! I'm easy.

message 4: by Corvidae (new)

Corvidae | 15 comments No, that seems fine. I just studiously avoid getting sucked into some robert jordan-esque travesty and time sink. I also hate starting unfinished series because if i DO have the time i cant just complete it in one go.

Im also ok with quasi-series'es, where they tie along together in the same world, even if they have some overall arcing plot, BUT each book stands well enough alone, and you dont have to read all of them to get the whole story. An example of this would be like anything from Terry Pratchett's Discworld "series." theyre in the same world, characters connect, but each is highly enjoyable enough alone.

(Although, id like to break both of my rules by suggesting, at some point, "His Majesty's Dragon," by Naomi Novik. Its an ongoing series with a major plot stretched out across 5 or so books now. The first book, the one i suggested, stands by itself alright, but you cant pick one up in the middle. However, its a fast read, and Cobbwocket and i both LOOOOOOOOVE these books, you have no idea. ;D In a nutshell, what its about: "The Napoleonic Wars. With Dragons.")

message 5: by Knecht (new)

Knecht | 3 comments I'll second Mistborn, if only because that was the series I was planning on picking up next anyways =)

message 6: by Cormack (new)

Cormack I'm also reluctant to wade into anything conceived as longer than a single volume. Stuff that was expanded into other additional books eventually would be fine by this standard (Ender's Game, Old Man's War), but not stuff that is necessarily part of a longer work (Quicksilver).

Something may be awesome, but if it's only a prelude to the real action, I'd rather not pick it for a book club thing.

message 7: by Corvidae (new)

Corvidae | 15 comments Are we doing Mistborn? ive requested it from the library. Also, I think its fair if we come up with a calendar of Who Gets To Suggest The Book When, so we dont slog into debates every month. I think it could go like this:

Step 1: Person of the Month suggests book
Step 2: Anyone who has strongly dissenting opinion on it speaks up
Step 3: Brief discussion
Step 4: If suggestion vetoed, Person of the Month suggests another
Step 5: If consensus is reached --> Profit.

message 8: by Tyler (new)

Tyler | 21 comments Mod
Yep, Mistborn:The Final Empire it is. Corv, you're up next month to decide.

message 9: by Corvidae (new)

Corvidae | 15 comments Yaaaay! XD we can popcorn it, so its the person of the month's job to select the next person.

message 10: by Tyler (new)

Tyler | 21 comments Mod
Excellent idea. I'm looking forward to your suggestion for February already.

message 11: by Askavi (new)

Askavi (courtney47) | 21 comments Yay, I wanted to read this series also... now Andrew and I just have to go pick it up...

message 12: by Tyler (new)

Tyler | 21 comments Mod
February approaches fast . . . and Amazon is calling. Do we have a new book yet?

message 13: by Corvidae (last edited Jan 26, 2009 11:12AM) (new)

Corvidae | 15 comments Actually yes. I've been thinking about it long and hard (heh) and here is my proposal:

My original thought was to do city of bones by margaret wells, which is an excellent, very well written and engaging, short, one-off. However, after reading the Mistborn book I found them to be very similar thematically. Not copies of one another at ALL, but just too similar to really make sense to read them one after the other. My next thought was his majesty's dragon by naomi novik. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized that you really get the most out of it if you read the whole series, and I didnt want to subject that to everyone right now (cause, if youre like me, youre plowing through the rest of the mistborn books asap.)

I want to use this opportunity to expose everyone to something really different from the fantasy-epic and heavy-scifi we all seem to lean toward. I also want it to be a one-off. Thus I suggest the following:

Perdido Street Station, by China Mieville

I guarantee it's completely unlike anything youve ever read before. Very dark, urban, steam-punk sort of fantasy, with a hefty dose of mystery and intrigue. Mieville has written multiple books in this world he created, but they are all stand-alones. This is the first one he wrote in this world, and I think it's my favorite.

But I'm open to discussion if anyone feels strongly against this one. I have a load of other books that would be wonderful too.

message 14: by Askavi (last edited Feb 25, 2009 02:08AM) (new)

Askavi (courtney47) | 21 comments I think I'd pass on this book, just because I recently read Snow Crash and Speaker for the Dead, and I need a break from that type of book (this is sounding in the same vein from the summary on Amazon, leaning more toward Snow Crash). Plus I'll probably just stick with the Mistborn books once I get them. Sounds interesting, just bad timing in my book queue.

message 15: by Corvidae (new)

Corvidae | 15 comments Well, to be clear, its far more fantasy than science fiction. It is not similar to snow crash or the enders series at all.

message 16: by Cormack (last edited Jan 27, 2009 03:41PM) (new)

Cormack Askavi, I wouldn't write Mieville off so early. His book has a substantially different tone and focus from either of the other two books. I've read Snow Crash a billion times, listened to Speaker for the Dead once, and read the first 50 pages or so of Perdido Street Station. I'm having a hard time finding any non-superficial similarities between any two of those books. The steampunk world alone makes it much different from the late 90's technopunk future of Snow Crash or pseudo-religious space allegory of the later Ender books. I suppose if you generalize it all the way out to the "hero's journey" level of plot they would be pretty similar, but I think you could say that of pretty much any book we're likely to suggest here.

If I can get through Anathem and Kavalier & Clay I I'll find a copy of this to finish. The writing was excellent to the point that it made me feel a bit uncomfortable in the grimy, alien world, and I definitely think it's worth going back to.

message 17: by Askavi (new)

Askavi (courtney47) | 21 comments What I meant by saying it seemed like it was similar to Snow Crash is that it seemed like from the summary the author was trying to shove everything and the kitchen sink into the book, which was a little off-putting. I'm sure it makes sense in the story, but that was just my impression from reading about the book.

More generally, I meant that it doesn't seem like what I normally read, and since I've just finished two books that are unlike what I normally read, I need a break. I'll be interested to see what people think of it though if everyone decides to read it, so I can keep it in mind for the future.

message 18: by Corvidae (new)

Corvidae | 15 comments That's fine, I mean, us grad students have real limited time enough as it is. I was only able to power through this last book cause I was up to 3 am cause it was *SO AWESOME*. It's just I thought the POINT of the club was to read things other people like that we wouldn't normally read. I mean, I never would have picked up Mistborn by myself, thinking it just another carbon-copy Epic Fantasy With Insert Magic System Here. I mean, it does have that to an extent, but the overall storytelling and messages go above and beyond all that.

If you want something more your vein, then for you I recommend City of Bones by Margaret Wells. Very quick, similar thematically to the Mistborn trilogy, astonishingly well written and characterized.

message 19: by Tyler (new)

Tyler | 21 comments Mod
I think this is a great suggestion. Something different -- that's exactly why I'm in this book club.

message 20: by Askavi (last edited Jan 28, 2009 07:13AM) (new)

Askavi (courtney47) | 21 comments I'm in the club to get suggestions for books, but I know what I like. Besides, I've been doing good on my own reading books that are different from what I normally read. ;)

I've heard of City of Bones the last few times I've randomly looked for new books, hoping to find a new series or author I like. Usually it takes a few cycles of the same book or author popping up for me to actually read it, so I'll definitely keep that in mind for after the Mistborn trilogy. I have some time to kill before March when the book I'm waiting for comes out!

message 21: by Corvidae (new)

Corvidae | 15 comments Indeed, I first picked it up randomly from a used book store. I loved it so much that I went off and read everything by Margaret Wells I could find.

message 22: by Tyler (new)

Tyler | 21 comments Mod
Well Corv, we are nearing the end of February . . . who are you gonna tag for March's book of the month leader?

message 23: by Corvidae (new)

Corvidae | 15 comments We ARE nearing the end of february arent we... Did anyone read my book? Also, who is still active in the bookclub? i hesitate to tag someone who doesn't really follow the club anymore.

message 24: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (lg416) | 4 comments I'm going to read it :) I've been busy :( I'm a speed reader so I don't think it will take but more than a few days. As soon as I'm done I'll leave feedback <3

message 25: by Askavi (new)

Askavi (courtney47) | 21 comments It seems like most people who are in it update things semi-regularly.

message 26: by Foomy (new)

Foomy | 6 comments I just joined, but I may check out this month's. I have a small stack accumulating, just need to find a place to fit it in.

message 27: by Cormack (new)

Cormack Still following things, but I'm putting off Mieville for a bit.

message 28: by Corvidae (new)

Corvidae | 15 comments Ok so I couldnt decide how to pick someone for next month, so i did the nerd thing and assigned numbers and rolled a dice.

And the dice came up for....LINDSAY!!

/tags

/runs

message 29: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (lg416) | 4 comments Haha, ok I'll let Zaen know by tomorrow what I pick.