Chicks On Lit discussion

Favorite of all time

Comments Showing 1-50 of 64 (64 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (chamilton12) What is your favorite book of all time? Or, you could list more than one if you can't just name one.

I usually read Chick Lit and am trying to branch out. I have found that CoL has members that enjoy a wide variety of genres so I'm interested in getting some book suggestions as well!!

Kat (A Journey In Reading) (ajourneyinreading) | 390 comments Favorite book of all time........ To Kill a Mockingbird hands down.

As for others.... most anything by James Patterson... he is my guilty pleasure.....

Time Travelers Wife is pretty high up the list too.

message 3: by Allison (new)

Allison (theallisonnelson) | 35 comments I have 2 - Marjorie Morningstar by Herman Wouk (which I totally recommend to every woman, by the way!) and A Tree Grows In Brooklyn, by Betty Smith.

message 4: by Thauna (new)

Thauna My all time favorites are Anna Karenina, The Time Traveler's Wife, and White Oleander.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn,

oh it is hard to list I tend to think of authours..

I love Ian McKewan!

message 6: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker I believe my all time favorites are Gone With The Wind (which is a million times better than the movie, which is my favorite movie), To Kill a Mockingbird, and Catch-22 (which people either love or hate depending on whether they can follow it).

message 7: by Holli (last edited Jan 11, 2009 10:13AM) (new)

Holli My all time favorite is Gone With The Wind. I love that book.

Also love The Mirror, The Great Gatsby, and Romeo and Juliet.

message 8: by Rachelle (new)

Rachelle My two favorites are To Kill A Mockingbird and War and Peace, I'm bizare I know!

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 369 comments teri wrote: "The Good Earth (Pearl Buck); East of Eden (Steinbeck); The Glass Castle; The Time Traveler's Wife; Beneath a Marble Sky; The Great Gatsby."

haha really random..but Pearl S. Buck at one point lived in my town in Bucks County. there is a Pearl S. Buck house not to far away..haha it is actually where i want to have my wedding. it's so amazing there.

message 10: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2563 comments Mod
East of Eden Steinbeck (masterfully done)
Gone with the Wind Margret Mitchell (Best Chick Lit EVER)
To Kill a Mockingbird Harper Lee (Timeless)
Mere Christianity cs lewis (Inspiring)
Emma Jane Austen (fun)
Wuthering Heights Emily Bronte (dark)

message 11: by Chantal (new)

Chantal (helloromeo) | 3 comments Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte.

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Fav. of all time? That is a hard one. I guess for me it was Lonesome Dove. I could read it over and over. Tuck Everlasting had a big effect on me too. My fav. from childhood. I recently got it for my daughter and she says it's the best book ever.

message 13: by KrisT (new)

KrisT | 553 comments Pride and prejudice (jane austen)
is one I can read over and over and so are most of hers. Jane Eyre I can and will read over and over :)
To Kill a Mockingbird too..oh so many I can't just pick 1 or 10!

message 14: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker I forgot about Gatsby! Gatsby is also on my all-time favorites list.

message 15: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 51 comments Great Question.

The Catcher in the Rye
To Kill a Mockingbird
An American Tragedy
Native Son
The Stand
The Poisonwood Bible
My Name is Asher Lev
A Prayer for Owen Meany
Pride and Prejudice
Great Expectations

To name a few.....

message 16: by Tahleen (new)

Tahleen Hmm... Well, definitely To Kill a Mockingbird, no question about that. That is always going to be number 1. But I also love love love A Wrinkle in Time, and this very obscure books called A Voice in the Wind by Kathryn Lasky. That kind of shaped who I am today, just a little bit. At least with my desire to go to the American Southwest.

message 17: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hannah7299) | 303 comments Catcher in the Rye
Time Traveler's Wife
Pride and Prejudice

message 19: by Nikki (new)

Nikki (nikkibfabulous) I have so many favorites, it's sooo hard to choose. If I absolutely must...I would have to say The Glass Castle, Playing With The Grown-ups and The Other Boleyn Girl.

message 20: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker I really like seeing what other people's favorites are. I was talking with a pastor once about books and she said that our favorite books say a lot about us, you know--what we want in life, our (secret?) goals and ambitions, etc.

message 21: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (missbrittany) | 336 comments Redeeming Love
Pride and Prejudice
Memoirs of a Geisha

those are probably my top 3 of all i have read so far.

message 22: by Katie (new)

Katie (katieisallbooked) | 319 comments The Sun Also Rises
The Awakening
The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle
Little House on the Prairie series

message 23: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (samaranthine) | 10 comments Top Five Favorite Books of all Time:
East of Eden (because it's really about America)
Gone with the Wind (Funny how everyone loves that one??)
White Oleander (because I related way too much)
Tess of the D'Urbervilles (Every woman who has ever been misunderstood should read it)
Autobiography of Henry XIII (Because I love me some Henry.)

message 24: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker Samantha, Everyone loves Gone With the Wind because it's an awesome book. Like, the best ever. (I'm being facetious for everyone who doesn't know)

message 25: by LinBee (last edited Mar 13, 2009 04:59AM) (new)

LinBee Hmmm...that is a hard one.

The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by Avi
Romeo & Juliet (though not technically a book)
Cell and Dreamcatcher by Stephen King
Napalm & Sillyputty by George Carlin

message 26: by Kate (new)

Kate | 96 comments Harriet the Spy.

message 27: by Maria (last edited Mar 01, 2009 12:43PM) (new)

Maria | 92 comments My recent fave has to be The History of Love
The History of Love A Novel by Nicole Krauss

And I thank this group for introducing me to it!!

message 28: by Wanda (new)

Wanda (wanda514) My favorite of all time would be Winnie the Pooh. I love all the Pooh stories and even now I still read them from time to time.

message 29: by KrisT (new)

KrisT | 553 comments For a recent fav I have to add
The Gargoyleby Andrew Davidson a goodreads author.

The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson

message 30: by Leslie (last edited Mar 01, 2009 05:27PM) (new)

Leslie Hickman (bkread2) | 231 comments Okay that is like one of life's harder questions because that is like asking which is your favorite child or parent...

But if I had to chose only one (& I am my Mom's favorite child too)...
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

message 31: by Yoby (new)

Yoby (yobs) | 67 comments Paper Dresses by Shelby Heron. don't know why I love this book so much, it's a patchwork of likes. I have forever since searched for Capidomonte Roses and looked for pairs of elderly sisters with slightly crochety and eccentric ways with poser crease wrinkles.

I have forever longed for a monopoly set from Neiman Marcus made totally of pastel chocolates to set out and see if anyone notices.

I want a butterfly tatoo on my breast.

I love this book.

message 32: by Yoby (new)

Yoby (yobs) | 67 comments Leslie wrote: "Okay that is like one of life's harder questions because that is like asking which is your favorite child or parent...

But if I had to chose only one (& I am my Mom's favorite child too)...
Pri..."

I love the very first Pooh Poem ever written (I think it si in When you are six, but it can be found online just to read aloud, just type in the title of the Poem and google it)

I read it to my kids most night alternated with Jabberwocky.

"Wherever I go, there's always pooh, there's always pooh and me, wherever I go, he wants to go,
Where are you going today says pooh,
Well that's very odd, cause I was too!

Let's go together says Pooh says he,
Let's go together says Pooh

message 33: by Stef (new)

Stef (buch_ratte) | 18 comments Favorite of all time? Impossible to name the favorite of all time. I rather come up with a list.

I would definitely put JACOBS LEITER by Steffen Mensching and THE PILLARS OF THE EARTH by Ken Follett on the list as well as THE SECRET OF LOST THINGS by Sheridan Hay. And THE THIRTEENTH TALE by Diane Setterfield of course. And then there are the books by Matthew Reilly, Philipp Vandenberg and Wilbur Smith. I also have to mention Sarah Blake, Gemma O'Connor and Brenda Joyce.

message 35: by Peanut (new)

Peanut | 149 comments For me, favorite of all time has to be a book I actually will keep (most times I like to give my books away). Another thing the book is usually something I'll go out and buy and not get from a book sale or the library.

Hands down - favorite seris is Harry Potter. Have re-read them several times. Usually in anticipation of the latest book that was coming out but I will re-read these again.

Another favorite is Phantom by Susan Kay (?). I think that is her name. She wrote a wonderful backstory to Phantom of the Opera. It did include the story already known but it gave sooooo much more vivid detail.

message 36: by Lizzi (new)

Lizzi I can't name just one favorite, so here goes... (in no order)

To Kill A Mockingbird
Ragtime
Gone To Soldiers
The Great Gatsby
Gone With The Wind
The Hundred Secret Senses

Of course, I have so many more books that I really, really, really like!

message 37: by Noems (last edited Mar 19, 2010 02:38PM) (new)

Noems (especiallyshameless) | 17 comments I loved the book Pride and Prejudice. I've read it in French and in English, watched the movie (the one with Keira Knightley in it) and I can read the book over and over again.

I also love the Harry Potter books. I can read them over and over again. I must have read the 7 of them at least 6-7 times each both in french and in english.

message 38: by Lianne (new)

Lianne (eclecticreading) | 365 comments Haha, I have two actually: J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings (for its epicness and memorable characters and themes) and Jane Austen's Persuasion (for its memorable quotes, intriguing characters and themes) =)

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Good to see this thread's making a 'comeback'!

I'd like to add a few I've read this year which are now on my all time faves list: Harry Potter and the Scorcerer's Stone by JK Rowling, Saving CeeCee Honeycut by Beth Hoffman and The Lacemakers of Glenmara by Heather Barbieri.

Elizabeth (Alaska) Angle of Repose

No other book makes a close second, though I have several books in my 5-star reads folder.

message 41: by Denise (new)

Denise I think the two books that I have re-read over and over in my life would have to be my favorites. I have read Gone With the Wind at least 13 times. When I was in college I didn't read much for pleasure so when I took Interpretation of Fiction just so I could read GWTW again I wrote a paper comparing Scarlett O'Hara with Emma Bovery. The other book that I dearly love and revisit every few years is Little Women. I love all things Louisa May Alcott but Little Women is my all time favorite. Of course every time I read it I hope that Jo will marry Laurie but so far it hasn't happened. Maybe next time...

message 42: by Pickles (new)

Pickles (angstypickles) My all-time fave is "Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen. I love the book and nearly all of its film/TV incarnations. I have three different copies of it and will likely buy more in the future. I also really loved "War For the Oaks" by Emma Bull.

message 43: by Lori (last edited Mar 20, 2010 12:17PM) (new)

Lori (heylorikay) | 11 comments I have to pick 1?!? Nope cant do it here are a couple

The Little House Collection LOVE this series pretty sure I reread it every Christmas, something about the wholesomeness of these books are so nice to read

Jemima J: A Novel About Ugly Ducklings and Swans by Jane Green I think this has to be my favorite Chicklit book, she's such a strong character and hilarious!Plus I think she is a character that every women can relate to.

Im just gonna go ahead and say it I loved The Twilight Collection! There its out there, ya'll can judge me now =-) I just like the way Meyers write and even though some of the characters are annoying they still seemed to come to life for me. Plus, I cant resits a good forbidden love story!!

And that being said of course Romeo and Juliet Even if it is a play I've read this book at least a 100 times and own it in 4 different copies.

I think the most recent for me and will go into a top favorite is The Hunger Games, I don't know if I can wait for the third one! If you've read these message me I'm dying to chat about them with someone =-)

message 44: by Kyla (new)

Kyla (kylajean) Lori wrote: "I have to pick 1?!? Nope cant do it here are a couple

The Little House Collection LOVE this series pretty sure I reread it every Christmas, something about the wholesomeness of these..."

Lori, I have to agree with you on Jemima J. It is by far one of my favorites. I read it for a book club that was a large and diverse group of women and every single one of his related to the character and the story.

I can't choose just one favorite but I do love the Great Gatsby and Anne of the Island.

message 45: by Nadia (new)

Nadia (bagambo) My favorites of all time:

Cat's Cradle
A Confederacy of Dunces
Beyond the Great Indoors
Good Morning, Midnight
Interpreter of Maladies
The House on Mango Street

message 46: by Julia (new)

Julia Yoby wrote: "Paper Dresses by Shelby Heron. don't know why I love this book so much, it's a patchwork of likes. I have forever since searched for Capidomonte Roses and looked for pairs of elderly sisters with..."

I loved your comment so much I tried to find it to add to my reading list and was not successful. Is it out of print?

message 47: by Denise (new)

Denise Julia wrote: "Yoby wrote: "Paper Dresses by Shelby Heron. don't know why I love this book so much, it's a patchwork of likes. I have forever since searched for Capidomonte Roses and looked for pairs of elderly...I loved your comment so much I tried to find it to add to my reading list and was not successful. Is it out of print?"

My library doesn't have it either, I will have to try interlibrary loan.

message 48: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cyndil62) | 1774 comments I couldn't find "Paper Dresses" by Shelby Heron either!! Julia and Denise, let me know if you find it! Now I'm really interested in reading it!!

message 49: by Sue (new)

Sue Seligman (bookfan55) | 21 comments There are so many, but here are a few...To Kill a Mockingbird, the Diary of Anne Frank, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, Sarah's Key, Firefly Lane, Winter Garden, My Sister's Keeper, The Book Thief, Good in Bed, Certain Girls....the list goes on and on...

message 50: by Maria (new)

Maria | 25 comments My favorites so far:

Persuasion- mostly because of the letter near the end.
Nineteen Eighty-Four-freakiest and coolest book I've read.
The Thirteenth Tale
Diablo Guardian- I don't know if this book has an english version, but you HAVE TO READ IT.
The Angel's Game

« previous 1