Next Generation Authors discussion

Books, Authors & Genres > Favourite Genres?

Comments (showing 1-46 of 46) (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (Velliya) | 441 comments Mod
Personally, I'm a fantasy fanatic. I love most of it's subgenres t:oo, especially mythic, dark and Heroic.
But I also love a good espionage/thriller novel <3

message 2: by Abby (new)

Abby (i3cats) | 4 comments paranormal romance, young adult, and i really like end of the world type books too.

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Yeah I love a good apocalyptic thriller. Paranormal Romance, I've tried a couple and didn't like them, but ciuld suggest a few really good ones for me? :)

message 4: by Marie (new)

Marie Gonzalez | 2 comments Paranormal romance, YA! Also some fictional YA romance those are awesome too!! I also like some dystopian, although I try not to read too too many because I don't want to wear it out. With YA though theres no wearing out! :P

♬ ☮ Priya ♀ ♏ {Smoke and Starlight} ☠ ☯  (DarkSkies) | 23 comments I don't care for the genre as long as the book has dark elements.

message 6: by Beryl (new)

Beryl S.K. I usually tend towards the fantasy, sci-fi, dystopian... but I like anything that has a good plot and good characters. I LOVE books that are just plain weird and make you think a lot and simply blow your mind. That's why I'm into magic realism a lot. XD

Also, has anyone heard of NEW ADULT fiction? (compared to YOUNG ADULT). It's this genre that is relatively new and that, to the contrary of YA which deals with 15-17 year old teens, deals with 18 - 20s year olds.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

A good paranormal, and steampunk.

message 8: by Breanne (new)

Breanne (BreannetheSpeedReader) | 3 comments I pretty much love everything. But I think I'm leaning more towards historical fiction, dystopian, paranormal, science fiction. Mostly YA. If I can get all of that rolled up into one book, then I'm in heaven :D

message 9: by Emelie (new)

Emelie I like anything as long as it's... good. But I prefer fantasy, sci-fi, dystopian, historical and magical realism.

message 10: by Jenna (new)

Jenna (CloudyMemories) | 3 comments I like reading everything as long as it's worth reading. It depends on my mood I guess.

message 11: by Amethyst (new)

Amethyst | 4 comments I like romance, crime, mystery and paranormal :)

message 12: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin (ElspethGordie) | 196 comments Mod
i love fantasy as well- subgenres mainly of classic and epic
but i adore historical fiction- my favourite book is the book thief(: and i also love the help
i'm really getting into classics now, and soon im planning to read some of Charles Dicken's works :)
i dont like paranormal romance or just romance in general, but i'll usually read any book if i've heard it's good or it looks interesting, and also if it's by an author whom i like :)

message 13: by Elisar (new)

Elisar (ehlihr) | 92 comments My all-time favourite is Fantasy. I wouldn’t mind a good Horror, or Mystery either. As long as there’s adventure. I’m a sucker for adventure. Dystopia’s okay with me.

I’m not one for Romance. Some romance’s make me gag, or laugh for that matter. Some romances make me laugh because of how stupidly they’re written. I can stand it if it’s an adventure/fantasy/horror/mystery with hints of romance.

message 14: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (Christinesbookshelves) | 47 comments I love reading all kinds of books

message 15: by ᴋᴜsᴇʏᴏ (new)

ᴋᴜsᴇʏᴏ (kukyo) Paranormal, sci fi and fantasy, romance, dystopian, contemporary, fiction, adventure, horror

message 16: by Caitlin (new)

wow- alot (:

message 17: by ᴋᴜsᴇʏᴏ (new)

ᴋᴜsᴇʏᴏ (kukyo) :) I know! I love reading <3

message 18: by Caitlin (new)

:) it's good to have a variety- or else you'll get bored

message 19: by Rachel (new)

True that :P

message 20: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (Christinesbookshelves) | 47 comments I like to read biography books

message 21: by Caitlin (new)

i've read some biographies in the past, and my favourite is probably Mao's Last Dancer, but i would like to read some others- i still haven't read The Diary of Anne Frank, so i'll to get to that! :)
Hamza- why??? i DETEST horror. absolutely hate it.

message 22: by Rachel (new)

I don't do horror, it keeps me awake at night for many weeks. I love a good thriller though.

Biographies are nice, but sometime they're a strain. I did love Moa's lat dancer though :)

message 24: by Alde (new)

Alde Baron (alde_baron) | 3 comments I enjoy reading fantasy and non-fiction, both toward humor / satire. I'm a sucker for books written by stand up comics, and fantasy that offers quirky/odd/absurd approach to engaging me with real-life dilemmas.

I'm glad to see lots of fantasy fans here.

message 25: by Rachel (new)

I love satirical novels! You should read "What white people like"
Great book

message 26: by Lucinda (new)

Lucinda *Fantasy fiction***

I also do love science-ficiton as well.
Historical (and historical combined with crime or fantasy)
classics such as Austen, Bronte and Dickens
Plays & poetry

...and anything else!

message 27: by Caitlin (new)

I don't read poetry much, but now I've actually just started reading Emily Dickinson's poetry, and they're quite good!
For science fiction, I like dystopian or post-apocalyptic, and I also like anything futuristic that comments on society (like 1984)

message 28: by Rachel (new)

POETRY!
I LOVE IT!

message 29: by Lucinda (new)

Lucinda Rachel wrote: "POETRY!
I LOVE IT!"

Have you ever read Tennyson's works?? (I have written a poem myself in his style, which was good fun).

message 30: by Rachel (new)

No, I haven't, I'll definitely look into them.
I'm just about to start reading Paradise lost, it looks so interesting

message 31: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (Christinesbookshelves) | 47 comments What's everyone talking about?

message 33: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (Christinesbookshelves) | 47 comments Oh i see and the person that works at a drug store has the same name as you

Althea *Go wolves and dragons!*(Coach Hedge) Inigo (Eiyah_Fantasyfreak) | 57 comments Christine wrote: "Oh i see and the person that works at a drug store has the same name as you"

*blinks*

message 35: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (Christinesbookshelves) | 47 comments Why are you blinking?

Althea *Go wolves and dragons!*(Coach Hedge) Inigo (Eiyah_Fantasyfreak) | 57 comments Christine wrote: "Why are you blinking?"

Nothing...

message 37: by Rachel (new)

Um, I don't know where drugs comes in... XD
But we're talking about our favourite genres and suggesting books under said genres that we think others would enjoy.
You are now enlightened ;)

message 38: by Rachel (new)

Um, I don't know where drugs comes in... XD
But we're talking about our favourite genres and suggesting books under said genres that we think others would enjoy.
You are now enlightened ;)

Althea *Go wolves and dragons!*(Coach Hedge) Inigo (Eiyah_Fantasyfreak) | 57 comments Fantasy and Science fiction!

message 40: by Rachel (new)

Those are mine too!!!

Althea *Go wolves and dragons!*(Coach Hedge) Inigo (Eiyah_Fantasyfreak) | 57 comments Rachel wrote: "Those are mine too!!!"

:D It takes you to a new world and makes your imagination and creativity wild:)

message 42: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (Christinesbookshelves) | 47 comments I love to read all kinds of books

message 43: by Rachel (new)

Althea- I know right? It's so magical.
Christine- so do I, having a variety is always good. Though I do tend to have favourites, namely, Fantasy :)

message 44: by Aria (last edited Aug 08, 2012 07:57AM) (new)

Aria Ahmer (ViraMage) | 28 comments fantasy and adventure and science fiction :o) i like writing them but i also like writing thrillers, mysteries, and SOME horror suspenseful books are the best!

message 45: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (Christinesbookshelves) | 47 comments What's your favorite book to read Rachel?

message 46: by Rachel (new)

I love reading the Hobbit, which is a great fantasy novel, Christine :) What do you like to read?

unread topics | mark unread