Into the Forest discussion

Film/TV /Radio Adaptations > Snow White and The Huntsman

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shereen (new)

Shereen Vedam | 144 comments I'm hoping to see this one this weekend. If anyone's seen it, I'd love to hear what you thought of the movie.

I've read good and bad reports. It sounds like the romance element wasn't done that well, which was disappointing to hear. The visuals are supposed to be stellar though, with lots of fantasy elements, which makes me smile in anticipation.

I'll post my take of the movie later.

message 2: by Jeanna (new)

Jeanna | 18 comments Just saw it last Friday. I enjoyed it but didn't think it was amazing. The visuals were pretty great, I agree. Charlize Theron was awesome and evil. Kristen Stewart was way better than she was as Bella. And what's-his-name (the Huntsman) was really, really attractive. Yum. :)

I admit I wanted a little more romance, but I didn't think it was done poorly, just not enough.

Did you end up seeing it? What did you think?

message 3: by Shereen (new)

Shereen Vedam | 144 comments Hi Jenna,

I agree with you, the visuals were great.

Here's my take on the movie:
Snow White and The Huntsman

Shereen

message 4: by Michele (new)

Michele | 520 comments Jeanna wrote: "And what's-his-name (the Huntsman) was really, really attractive. Yum..."

You didn't recognize him? It was Thor :) He's also going to be in a remake of Red Dawn later this year (with Tom Cruise's son Connor).

message 5: by Jeanna (new)

Jeanna | 18 comments Michele: Recognized him, just didn't know his name and was feeling too lazy to look him up.

And Shereen, that was a great point about fairy tales; I definitely want the romance too. Sigh.

message 6: by Michele (new)

Michele | 520 comments Jeanna wrote: "Michele: Recognized him, just didn't know his name and was feeling too lazy to look him up..."

Chris Hemsworth. Definitely notice-worthy :) He was on Conan O'Brian earlier this month talking about playing the Huntsman, very funny -- see here.

message 7: by Cindy III (new)

Cindy III So funny. I really like it when actors share funny stories like that. I want to go see the film after seeing the clip, but also want some romance...so I probably won't see it until it is available on DVD.

message 8: by Shereen (new)

Shereen Vedam | 144 comments I heard that the filmakers are considering a sequel to this one. Thought you guys might be interested in hearing that.

Sequel talk

Shereen

message 9: by Michele (new)

Michele | 520 comments Saw it today. Meh. Visually gorgeous; plot and dialog-wise, a bit lacking. Hallucinatory mushrooms were a nice touch, and the black feather cloak. Was I supposed to feel sorry for the Queen? If so, did not.

message 10: by Jeanna (new)

Jeanna | 18 comments That clip with Hemsworth was funny, thanks.

On the subject of the queen, here's what I thought: I don't think the backstory for her was supposed to make us feel sorry for her but to help us understand that there was complexity to her evil. I actually liked that. She was still evil and horrible, but she wasn't just this flat person who was bad just because she felt like it. It was nice to see a reason (even if it was a completely spazzy one).

message 11: by Kristina (new)

Kristina Wojtaszek | 23 comments I just saw this with my sister in law, and I liked, didn't like it. It is worth seeing just for the visual effects and great music and such. I agree that the plot does dissapoint. However, I wasn't disappointed at all by the romance aspect. I loved the twist there (even though I figured who her real prince was). I also loved seeing her in armor, leading them to war at last. And the fairy forest was cool for sure. One thing that disappointed me was that I was told it was supposed to be truer to the original Snow White Grimm story. I didn't see that. The far far back original, I thought, had 7 bandits, not dwarfs, and it seemed silly to me that they reverted to the Disneyish dwarfs in this movie. Also, I thought I read in the original it was Snow White's biological mother, rather than a stepmother, who grew jealous and wanted her heart. They changed it later, wanting it to be less terrifying for children (same happened with Hansel and Grettel-- going from bio mother to stepmother, and I believe a few other old tales as well). So if you are looking for the absolute oldest Snow White tale in this movie, you won't find it really. Definately reccomend watching though, if just for fun.

I was very interested in seeing this because *Big Announcement!* I am having my own Snow White version published soon!! I will keep you posted if any are interested, but it should be coming out in a couple of months or so!

message 12: by Shereen (new)

Shereen Vedam | 144 comments Nice sum up of the story,

And congratulations, Kristina, on your book coming out :) Must be very exciting!

message 13: by Kristina (new)

Kristina Wojtaszek | 23 comments Thank you Shereen! If you're at all interested, here's my site, the book announcement will come in a couple months. Meanwhile, just having a blast blogging about and exploring fairy tales and stories in general :)
www.authorkw.wordpress.com

message 14: by Red (new)

Red Tash (redtash) | 7 comments Is it even still in the theatre? Seems like they don't stay that long anymore.

message 15: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) | 1388 comments Mod
Surlalune Blog has noted that the sequel for the movie is being changed. Snow White (Stewart) is being dropped and the sequel will focus on the Huntsman only. Possible because of the affair between Stewart and the director.

I have to say, I haven't seen the movie, but it seems like the whole thing is punish the woman. She's been fired, but the director hasn't. And I don't even like Stewart.

message 16: by Jalilah (last edited Aug 15, 2012 01:08PM) (new)

Jalilah | 4282 comments Mod
Do you know if the sequel will have the same director?(I forget his name, I don’t read tabloids except while standing in line at the grocery store!) If yes, THAT would really be unfair!
Infidelity is never good, but Kristen Stewarts is half his age! Also so many Hollywood stars cheat but are forgiven later on. Just look at Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt. I don’t see why K Stewart should be singled out.

message 17: by Christine (last edited Aug 15, 2012 01:36PM) (new)

As of right now, the same director is still on board. But they changed writers, so who knows? According to the article, an inside source says the director will not change. It's suppose to be a spin-off. Originally, the writer was suppose to pen two Snow White movies, and then one hunstman movie.

Jezebel is reporting that supposedly the director's wife put down her foot - if he wanted to work on thier marriage, he couldn't work with Stewart.

message 18: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmathelemon) Saw this a while ago, REALLY worth seeing in my opinion! Kristen acting improves leaps and bounds with better scripts, and it's not often you hear such a good English accent from an American actress. I thought the story was a great take on Snow White, the twists were original, it had girl power and the graphics are STUNNING!

message 19: by Christine (new)

Well, it sounds like the second movie isnt' going to have girl power.

message 20: by Shereen (last edited Aug 17, 2012 06:18AM) (new)

Shereen Vedam | 144 comments For me, the story itself, the plot and special effects, especially the fantasy elements, were great.

I'd be happy if they manage to put some "emotions" into the second one and maybe not shy away from the romance aspect. Romance is not a dirty word, and I believe it's at the heart of most fairy tales, even the gruesome ones.

Movie scandal notwithstanding, I'm looking forward to the sequel for two reasons:
a) the filmmakers seem to be making a genuine attempt to make it "different" from the first.
b) the filmmakers are making another fairy tale (yay!)

message 21: by Shereen (new)

Shereen Vedam | 144 comments I read an interesting article on the renewed interest in fairy tales in modern pop culture (also mentions this latest film and its fantasy elements).

Thought it might interest some here:
•link: Another bite of the poisoned apple...

Favourite line:
"The very idea of, maybe not feminist fantasy, but female-led fantasy, at least, feels like it answers a particular need to broaden the focus of, and audience for, some of the most financially successful films and television shows."

message 22: by Jalilah (last edited Oct 01, 2012 09:23AM) (new)

I finally got the see this last night.
Over all I liked it. The special effects were great. I especially liked the magical forest with the mushrooms.
The romance element.. Well, there wasn't any. That seems to be a current trend and I also find it disappointing.
Charlize Theron was fantastic as an evil witch. I liked the fact that there was some background story on her. It made the witches character less one dimensional.
I think this filming was only “truer” to the original Grimm story in the sense it was more gruesome than the Disney version.
I usually like Kristen Stewart, but found she was miscast as Snow White. She did not convey the purity, innocence and beauty that Snow White is supposed to have.

message 23: by Shereen (new)

Shereen Vedam | 144 comments Nice summary, Jalilah.

That last sentence about Kristen, did you mean she DID convey Snow White's "purity, innocence and beauty" or she DID NOT convey it?

message 24: by Jalilah (new)

Shereen wrote: "Nice summary, Jalilah.

That last sentence about Kristen, did you mean she DID convey Snow White's "purity, innocence and beauty" or she DID NOT convey it?"

Oh spelling error! I meant did NOT. Steward is too California girl for me to be believable as Snow white.
Off hand, I can't think who would be better, but I imagine the role with a European Actress
By the way I'd love to read one of your novels Shereen.
What is a good one to start with?

message 25: by Shereen (last edited Oct 01, 2012 05:21PM) (new)

Shereen Vedam | 144 comments Okay, that's what I thought. I didn't think she quite fit that role either.

(rest sent privately)