Clockwork Prince (The Infernal Devices, #2) Clockwork Prince discussion


140 views
Is Tessa.....wrong?

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Katherine Leslie Cheung Does anyone think Tessa is being mean in a way?

1. Tessa falls in love with Will, but Will is such a jerk to her, so she wants to forget about him.
2. Tessa starts to like Jem because Jem is really nice too. They get very intimate in Jem's bedroom.
3. Tessa and Will kiss in the balcony (I guess you can blame the drink).
4. Tessa and Jem kiss in the chariot.

I don't know. Tessa is young and confused, this I can understand, but it still does not justify her... fickleness. And it's really unfair to Will and Jem, who have no idea about each other.


message 2: by Iae (new) - rated it 5 stars

Iae I totally agree with you on this one. I'm no expert when it comes to love, but what i see here is that Tessa is somehow insensitive to what others feel for her. She does not know her effect on people. This is somehow one of the most common problem in a love triangle. There will always this one person insensitive enough to not know their effect on others in a certain way and eventually will be oblivious on how he/she just toyed around with the other parties' feelings. Unfortunately, that person in this story is Tessa.

In some ways, she is sensitive when it comes to problems and shit, she's also smart and very brave which makes her an attractive person (I can't blame Will or Jem for that matter), but she is so damn impulsive.

(view spoiler)

Well that's just my two cents about Tessa, it was just the situation and her being so impulsive that led to the shitty mess she's in. :P But hey let us look on the bright side, Clockwork Prince won't be so good and so damn frustrating if Tessa and the situation wasn't like that. :P


message 3: by Ana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ana Although I do like Tessa I have to agree. In a way she has been unfair to both Will and Jem, the story would be very different if the boys knew that she was kissing both of them.

But we can't just hold her to account because the boys must know that they are behaving in a way that could ruin Tessa's respectful reputation in society.

Even if it is different for shadowhunters, they are still in Victorian England. An era where it would have been considered quite forward for a girl to kiss/be intimate with two boys at once especially ones that are as good friends as Will and Jem.

Tessa sees how both boys rely on each other and make each other stronger. She must realise that by giving both of them hope she's behaving in a way that could really damage Will and Jem's friendship forever.

I just hope that their parabatai bond is strong enough to survive whatever happens with Tessa because I really like Jem and Will's relationship.

However, the fact they are parabatai and very close friends who know practically everything about each other I find it quite odd that they don't realise that they are both in love with Tessa.


message 4: by Katherine Leslie (last edited Jun 16, 2012 03:19PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Katherine Leslie Cheung Iae: Oblivious and insensitive! Those are the words I was looking for. I can't believe it never crossed her mind that what she was doing could ruin these guys' friendship. I can't stand that part either. She was sobbing like she was...mistreated and betrayed. Tessa stood by the decision because she was decent enough to keep a promise, but she acted like it was a duty to marry Jem. I feel revolted. What the hell? Jem could totally find someone who loved him with her whole heart.

Oh Lord I hope Jem finds someone who loves him in The Clockwork Princess. He deserves happiness.

Ana: Jem is the good guy! He's said he wished to hang out with her along with a chaperon. I guess it is considered very inappropriate for a boy and a girl to live together like that in that era, but in the shadowhunter world they have the Institute, they see one another all the time. They are young, things happen...
But Jem is so nice and gentlemanly and he plans a future with Tessa.
Maybe Tessa is brave. Maybe she's attractive. She can't do that to the two best guys in the world!?

Everybody is preoccupied with Mortmain and, you know, Will is a jackass with everyone and Jem is nice to everyone LOL it's not easy to see what's happening between them.


Marisa This is a case where the girl falls for the dark and mysterious boy that shuns her. She really loves Will but she should not be with him. Jem is perfect for her because he is grounded and is himself at all times. This is however, also a case of 20th century friendzoning. Tessa loves Jem but she thinks she loves Will also. Jem is the perpetual friend even though she is engaged to him.


Rahel Abraham Katherine wrote: "Does anyone think Tessa is being mean in a way?

1. Tessa falls in love with Will, but Will is such a jerk to her, so she wants to forget about him.
2. Tessa starts to like Jem because Jem is real..."


thats something i never understood how did will not know about her and jem because their flirting seemed obvious to me :P


message 7: by Iae (last edited Jun 17, 2012 01:22AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Iae Katherine wrote: "Iae: Oblivious and insensitive! Those are the words I was looking for. I can't believe it never crossed her mind that what she was doing could ruin these guys' friendship. I can't stand that part e..."

I hope you're right about Jem finding someone who could love him and be just ultimately happy. But i have this feeling that he won't be happy in the end. Jem is one of those characters that you just feel that they're fated to be lonely. hahaha. I don't know why but i feel it from his character. It's like something's gonna happen and then he'll end up being the one to sacrifice everything and be the martyr for everyone he loves. Although, Will also has that tendency and is actually being the martyr at the end of the book but my bet's on Jem for the future events that might happen. Oh i just hope that doesn't happen. I like Jem to be happy because as you have said, He deserves it.

Rahel wrote: "Katherine wrote: "Does anyone think Tessa is being mean in a way?

1. Tessa falls in love with Will, but Will is such a jerk to her, so she wants to forget about him.
2. Tessa starts to like Jem b..."


I think Will was too preoccupied with his own problems. He was having hope that he could at last be free of the curse and be free to love anyone, in his case, Tessa. I believe Will does see the flirting at some point but choose to ignore it since Jem is always kind to everyone. Even Tessa didn't realize how Jem felt about her until their heated encounter with each other.

Marisa wrote: "This is a case where the girl falls for the dark and mysterious boy that shuns her. She really loves Will but she should not be with him. Jem is perfect for her because he is grounded and is himsel..."

I love it that you compared it to a case of 20th century friendzoning. True enough, Jem is a perfect example of a guy who is usually left in the friendzone. However he may become one of the few who will be able to escape the zone. But i don't bet on that much. It's hard to escape the friendzone.


HAHA! as i read through my replies I started to laugh it's like I'm really bias towards Will. HAHAHA. Anyways, before anyone can point it out, i'm already admitting guilty of that accusation. hahaha. I just can't resist the Herondale boys. Genetics. Ugh.


Alexandra Tessa was definitely insensitive and oblivious - she was obviously not over Will yet as soon as she realizes that Jem likes her, she just thinks "Oh. Okay. He's nice." Also, when one of her reasons for marrying Jem (as she describes them to Will) is that he believes it will keep him alive, you can just tell that there's some pity and not romance involved there. Jem deserves someone who can love him completely, and Will deserves someone who can help him find himself and recover from those five wasted years. You can see which one she fits into better. She is very impulsive also. She doesn't really think things through (in fact, she tries to block them from her mind so she doesn't have to think about them).

I despise love triangles because they always reflect badly on the characters. (The only thing that this one accomplishes better than others is leaving us hanging on who really is going to end up with who.) Will and Jem are oblivious to eachother's feelings, but also to Tessa's conflicted ones. Tessa is oblivious to Will's true feelings, and insensitive towards their feelings about eachother until she finally looks around herself at the end and realizes that she's made a huge mess. Then that whole "I'm dreaming...oh, wait, that was real?" thing just shows how fickle she is. I actually sort of liked Tessa until this book, which is really unfortunate because I love the Shadowhunter world.


message 9: by Sarah (last edited Jun 17, 2012 01:05PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sarah Ann I totally agree.

But you all were saying that Jem and Will don't know about each other but that's not fully true. Will finds out in this book about Jem and Tessa. But I understand what you all meant.

I think that in the third book she'll get a reality check, I don't know what that will mean for her feelings between the two guys. But I think she'll realize that she was leading one of the guys on when she was clearly in love with the other one.

No guy, bad or good, should be lead on by a girl that will never truly love them in the end. So Tessa made a mistake there.

Love Triangles suck.


Chisom I've been reading what you guys have been saying and i agree on some parts but i really don't think that with Cecily suddenly appearing in the trilogy that Jem will magically stop loving Tessa and immediately fall in love with Will's sister. I mean be serious people! Isn't it a little unreal? Jem fell in love with Tessa because he felt like he'll never have the kind of love and relationship his parents had he needed her to be his soulmate. And yes Tessa is very confused and her heart isn't all for Jem but just like the book said...

"I cannot sever them, one from the other. I cannot be responsible for such a thing." "I cannot tell either of them the truth"

she did think of Jem and Will's relationship and understood that she is hurting them both (mostly Will though) But it wasn't like she did it on purpose. Plus i don't think that she is really hurting Jem since he doesn't really know the whole thing


message 11: by Katherine Leslie (last edited Jun 23, 2012 07:39PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Katherine Leslie Cheung Chisom *AngelBooky* wrote: "I've been reading what you guys have been saying and i agree on some parts but i really don't think that with Cecily suddenly appearing in the trilogy that Jem will magically stop loving Tessa and ..."

Well. I can't say you're wrong. Obviously you won't hurt someone who doesn't know what you've done. Still doesn't mean Tessa is not betraying Jem's trust by marrying him but loving another man.


Rachel I think the only way somone could truely judge her situation is is they are in it. She doesn't plan to hurt them, but things just get out of hand and she really likes them both. That is why it's called a love triangle. Its full of juicy drama!!!!!!!!!


Ashley Rachel wrote: "I think the only way somone could truely judge her situation is is they are in it. She doesn't plan to hurt them, but things just get out of hand and she really likes them both. That is why it's ca..."

haha i think that was put very nicely!


Katherine Leslie Cheung Rachel wrote: "I think the only way somone could truely judge her situation is is they are in it. She doesn't plan to hurt them, but things just get out of hand and she really likes them both. That is why it's ca..."

I think people are being easy on Tessa because she is a girl. What if it's a boy who likes one girl but leads the other on? We call him jerk.
I think every one who leads people on and gets involved in more than one relationships doesn't plan to hurt, unless that person is just plain cruel.


message 15: by Iae (new) - rated it 5 stars

Iae Rachel wrote: "I think the only way somone could truely judge her situation is is they are in it. She doesn't plan to hurt them, but things just get out of hand and she really likes them both. That is why it's ca..."

Exactly. Tessa was leading them both by being oblivious and insensitive. Also, the situation was also a result of Tessa being that way. Although we can also say that Will and Jem also contributed to this result, the biggest mistake was Tessa's by leading both of them on. (Will can be blamed of being secretive but just like what they say some things are better left unsaid. and Jem can be blamed by being Jem. Actually, imo Jem did nothing wrong. hahaha. :p)


message 16: by Mhelgzbritannia (last edited Jun 25, 2012 02:24PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mhelgzbritannia I honestly think that Tessa is at fault here, by being so insensitive and rash. She hastily decides that Will is not for her and felt so broken (well I can agree with her being broken, who wouldn't feel bad that the person you love is being mean to you... SO MUCH). It's just too unfair for Jem to be mislead in such a way (though it is obvious to me that he loved Tessa too)

The point is... a person can't just grab another person and kiss them just because the person she loves broke her heart.

That's so cruel. I feel bad for Jem, she deserves another girl.


Alexandra I totally agree with that bolded statement.


Rachel I still stick with wht I said b4 though... And if a guy did exactly wht Tessa did then he is doing exactly whta I said b4. You dnt know wht its like until it happens! So I'm not sure you could blame Tessa and if it was aguy him...


Julianna She's bumbling through her relationships and hurting both of them. She needs to get her act together. But another thing we have to take into consideration is that this takes place in the Victorian Era, where girls weren't expected to be wise and make decisions.


message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

i guess she does take her own sweet time on who to choose and makes out with both boys, which is kinda unfair


message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Mhelgzbritannia wrote: "I honestly think that Tessa is at fault here, by being so insensitive and rash. She hastily decides that Will is not for her and felt so broken (well I can agree with her being broken, who wouldn't..."
i totally agree with u


message 22: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel I agree with the vast majority of these statements. I think that Tessa did both boys a tremendous disservice by not being honest with either of them. I feel bad for both, but Jem mostly has my sympathy. I just feel like the poor guy is being led on by thinking he's about to marry his soulmate/dream girl and she only thinks of him as a friend. He was just a convenient solution to the guy she really wants not returning her affections and that made me sad for him. I never really thought about Jem and Cecily but I'd be open to that possibility.


back to top