To Kill a Mockingbird To Kill a Mockingbird question

Banned and/or Challenged Books
Barbara Barbara Jun 16, 2012 09:59AM
I printed out a list of these books last year from "ala.org". My question is what do you think of the list and in your opinion what books that are on it are worth reading for the sake of history or being a classic. I have read The Great Gatsby, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Color Purple, Lolita and Lord of the Rings. The only one I did not get anything from was The Great Gatsby. I have started the Grapes of Wrath and wonder if I should continue reading as it is a large book.

I just took a look at the list you are referring to. I would personally recommend The Catcher in the Rye, Catch-22, Slaughterhouse-Five, Cat’s Cradle, 1984, Of Mice and Men, Invisible Man, Animal Farm, and The Jungle.

I just finished Ulysses myself and, while I found it interesting and often entertaining, be warned that it is not for the casual reader. It is consistently ranked as one of the most difficult books ever written in any language, and for good reason.

I find Kurt Vonnegut to be an excellent author, so any of his other books are also worth the read. I've heard that One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is good, but I haven't yet read it. Lord of the Flies, Song of Solomon, and A Separate Peace were all decent. I read The Call of the Wild when I was really young and liked it then, but I don't remember it well enough to judge whether or not I would still enjoy it as an adult.

Other than The Color Purple and Lolita, which I plan to read, I have read and agree with your opinions of the other books you mentioned. I haven't read The Grapes of Wrath or any of the other books on that list (assuming you are referring to this list http://www.ala.org/advocacy/banned/fr...).

Whatever you do end up reading, I hope you enjoy!

Sandi Knapp It is a sin to ban any book. We cannot like every theme but whatever was written was in the context of the history of that time. Samuel Clemons works ...more
Jul 12, 2013 09:26AM

I agree with Sean, Sue, and Beth. I write about the same people Steinbeck did, and I worship at the altar of his greatness. No kidding.

Shelley
Rain, A Dust Bowl Story
http://dustbowlpoetry.wordpress.com

Nothing gets a book attention like being banned, but this list is made up of highly recommended books that have banned, not banned book that became famous, just more famous.

For the love of God, please read The Grapes of Wrath! It is everything a novel should be, and everything any novelist should aspire to. It's compassionate and utterly epic. For me, it is brilliant beyond words, and easily one of the greatest novels ever written.

The concept of banning books is about the same to me in effectiveness and ease of enforcement as the banning of clouds from appearing in the sky.

I took a look at this list and was shocked to say the least. I have read most of the list, and what I haven't is either on my nightstand and will be read this year or is on my amazon.com wish list and will be read next year.

On this list are Pulitzer Prize winners, Nobel Prize winners, Hugo Award winners, many of whom are the cream of the crop when it comes to the written word. Some of these books changed society, like Sinclair's The Jungle. I truly cannot believe that these books are on here.

That being said, if it's advice you're looking for on what to read and what not to read, I would suggest that you READ EVERYTHING ON THIS LIST. Personally, I hate the Great Gatsby, I even commented on a thread here on Goodreads, but I would still suggest that you read it. To Kill a Mockingbird? Please, Harper Lee's ONLY book, and one of the greatest books ever written. Catcher in the Rye? Infamous and famous, both at the same time. Vonnegut is on here? WTF? Aside from being my favorite author, he redefined the science fiction genre, as well as the satire genre. Capote's In True Blood? That book is the father of every true crime book ever written since.

READ THESE BOOKS, you will thank me later.

deleted member Jun 16, 2012 10:48AM   0 votes
I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you asking if these books are worth reading because they're classics or because they're banned?

You should read Grapes of Wrath because you're interested in it, not because it's on some list. Reading literature isn't checking things off a list. It's about engaging with art in order to expand one's horizons and conceptions of the world.

I disagree with the above poster. I've found that banned books are almost always great books, too. I've just read three YA banned books and they were all good.

Slaughterhouse-Five is a great book, perhaps the great american novel of the late 20th century. Definitely read that.

I looked at this list and couldn't believe the books that were on it and then when you read the reasons they were challenged, all I can say is that I'm glad I was raised by a mother who did not censor what I read or said that something wasn't "age appropriate." I hate that expression. I read Tolstoy when I was 12 yrs old and the only thing my mother said was if there is something you don't understand then ask me about it. Thank you Mom for helping to develop my lifelong love of reading.

Patrick (last edited Jun 16, 2012 11:59AM ) Jun 16, 2012 11:56AM   0 votes
Definitely read The Grapes of Wrath and anything else by Steinbeck that you can get your hands on! I would say though, if you only read one of his novels, pick up East of Eden. I don't think it was ever banned or challenged, but it is amazing!

I am also reading through a few banned books from a list I have. Don't get trapped into reading them for the sole reason that they have been challenged. Controversial content doesn't always ensure that a work is interesting or well written, or that it is relevant to your experiences.

Sandi Knapp East of Eden is a wonderful book with so many themes. It has everything--i mean everything.
Jul 08, 2013 10:20AM · flag