The Pen Is Mightier Than The Sword discussion

Writing > Romance

Comments Showing 1-50 of 67 (67 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by ℂᖺαᖇᒪἷ℮ ⊰1017 &Tardis⊱, This is my witty title (head mod) (new)

ℂᖺαᖇᒪἷ℮ ⊰1017 &Tardis⊱ (charlie_awesome) | 766 comments Mod
How do you write a romance? How much detail involved? How many pages of girly thoughts about Mr. Perfect before you tear your hair out (Twilight, anyone?)

message 2: by Sierra~Kelley (new)

Sierra~Kelley Please don't get me started on Twilight!

message 3: by Shreya (new)

Shreya Kashyap (shreyakashyap) | 32 comments Do you actually want a crappy account or a real decent one ?

message 4: by Sierra~Kelley (new)

Sierra~Kelley I'll go with a real decent one...

message 5: by Shreya (last edited Jun 16, 2012 11:56PM) (new)

Shreya Kashyap (shreyakashyap) | 32 comments Yea, so that obviously excludes Twilight and what I believe should be included is not the thoughts of how your prince is gonna be, rather something realistic, may be a total never-thought-of-it situation when suddenly at some time your fate favoured something and you got to experience romance. Even if there is a dream, a fastidious explanation feels redundant and takes away all the juice and interest of the reader and is the thing which attracts me more towards the Classics which transcend all these levels.

message 6: by ℂᖺαᖇᒪἷ℮ ⊰1017 &Tardis⊱, This is my witty title (head mod) (new)

Thank you!

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah1324) | 328 comments I hate when they over-sex it. That just makes me mad.

message 8: by Shreya (new)

Shreya Kashyap (shreyakashyap) | 32 comments Yea, agreed and when it feels like they are overwhelming any situation not just that when it could have been kept simple.

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah1324) | 328 comments Yep. There is good romance and bad romance.

message 10: by ℂᖺαᖇᒪἷ℮ ⊰1017 &Tardis⊱, This is my witty title (head mod) (new)

Sarah wrote: "I hate when they over-sex it. That just makes me mad."

Same! Bleh I hate that

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah1324) | 328 comments IKR!!! It is like come on, YUCK!

message 12: by Shreya (new)

Shreya Kashyap (shreyakashyap) | 32 comments So Charlie what are your plans, gonna write one or its ready already ?

message 13: by ℂᖺαᖇᒪἷ℮ ⊰1017 &Tardis⊱, This is my witty title (head mod) (new)

Wondering how much to incorporate into my sci-fy story. Romance is not my strong suit.

message 14: by Sherri (new)

Sherri (fabledhattress) Ooh! Charlie! You should look up Jennifer Fallon's Tide Lord series, it's scifi and it has just a bit of romance. But just a warning the first one and second are the best of the series

message 15: by ℂᖺαᖇᒪἷ℮ ⊰1017 &Tardis⊱, This is my witty title (head mod) (new)

Cool! Thanks for the recommendation!

message 16: by Sherri (new)

Sherri (fabledhattress) No prob! I'm currently on book four and its got about the average level of romance i guess but it goes well with the plot :)

message 17: by ℂᖺαᖇᒪἷ℮ ⊰1017 &Tardis⊱, This is my witty title (head mod) (new)

Sounds good!

message 18: by ℂᖺαᖇᒪἷ℮ ⊰1017 &Tardis⊱, This is my witty title (head mod) (new)

Yeah I like the way Gone did it!

message 19: by Lucy ~Graphite Wizard~ (last edited Aug 12, 2012 06:34PM) (new)

Lucy ~Graphite Wizard~ | 217 comments In my short stories. There will be romance expected. not like "Kissy, kissy, moo, moo, moo" like. real. Like, I have never really dated some one. But when it does come, I really won't wanna kiss them, I wanna hug them and tell them I love them. Or like them.

message 20: by ℂᖺαᖇᒪἷ℮ ⊰1017 &Tardis⊱, This is my witty title (head mod) (new)

Thank you!!

message 22: by ℂᖺαᖇᒪἷ℮ ⊰1017 &Tardis⊱, This is my witty title (head mod) (new)

Someone who is in agreement with me for once,

Lucy ~Graphite Wizard~ | 217 comments Thank you too! When I was little, I saw a teenage couple making out at a football game. It was really, really, gross.

message 24: by ℂᖺαᖇᒪἷ℮ ⊰1017 &Tardis⊱, This is my witty title (head mod) (new)

That's gross.

I see people making out in the hallways of my school *shivers* so NOT cute

message 25: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah1324) | 328 comments K am very glad I haven't seen anyone make out before. I've seen people kiss but there is a fine line between making out and kissing.

message 26: by Allison (new)

Allison (allibean) | 122 comments I've had to watch my parents making out. Nightmares, anyone?
I am in agreement about the realistic romance. I really can't stand it when the couple is being all sappy one minute and then the next they are creating some excuse to break up because the author can't think of a better plot device. Overdone drama is a real repellent for me.

message 27: by ℂᖺαᖇᒪἷ℮ ⊰1017 &Tardis⊱, This is my witty title (head mod) (new)

I know!

Lucy ~Graphite Wizard~ | 217 comments I means you "love" someone if you smash you lips together?

message 29: by ℂᖺαᖇᒪἷ℮ ⊰1017 &Tardis⊱, This is my witty title (head mod) (new)

I know! I hate that!

message 30: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah1324) | 328 comments I know right!

message 31: by ℂᖺαᖇᒪἷ℮ ⊰1017 &Tardis⊱, This is my witty title (head mod) (new)

:D

message 32: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah1324) | 328 comments :]

message 33: by Allison (new)

Allison (allibean) | 122 comments Oh, and the "soul mates" thing, in which the relationship requires no development whatsoever. It drives me nuts.

message 34: by lafon حمزة, Pensmaster! (new)

lafon حمزة نوفل (lafon) | 178 comments Mod
Guys what are you talking about? Clearly an insta-love triangle is completely accurate and incredibly likely to occur in the real world. Not to mention that boys will, in turns, fawn over and then assault girls. I make sure to take all my relationship advice from YA/PNR novels because clearly they are the pinnacle of human understanding of human interaction.

(view spoiler)

message 35: by Allison (new)

Allison (allibean) | 122 comments LOL, I think I like you.

message 36: by ℂᖺαᖇᒪἷ℮ ⊰1017 &Tardis⊱, This is my witty title (head mod) (new)

The love interest is the most beautiful girl in he story. All male wants is girls body.
Another character attempts to rape girl- no matter the genre of the book!
Girl is smart witty and gorgeous and ANNOYING as hell and has (view spoiler) And all the book does is fantasize over girls body.
They instantly fall in 'love' over each others bodies.

And lafon that WAS GREAT!

message 37: by lafon حمزة, Pensmaster! (new)

lafon حمزة نوفل (lafon) | 178 comments Mod
Thanks Allison and Charlie.

What I find most weird though, is that a lot of these authors are female. I hate to ask but do any of you think like that? As a male, it does absolutely nothing for me. And it's actually quite creepy. Finally if I was ever* to be attracted to a girl it would be because of how she thinks, and acts, not how she looks (sure beauty is something humanity looks for naturally, but I don't want that if it means sacrificing being able to have an intelligent conversation).

*And by ever I mean eventually.

message 38: by Allison (new)

Allison (allibean) | 122 comments What has happened to the romance genre? The generations have worn it down into this mere shadow of what it once was. Not that it was ever all that great, really, if you ask me, but it was a heck-of-a-lot better than this.
The love at first sight spiel will always, without fail, be about the attractiveness of the characters. How could it possibly be about their "charm" or "sparkling personalities" when the male and female leads have yet to actually converse? How can it be love before you have any idea what this person is actually like? Or their name, for that matter? In fact, I have often come across situations such as this in which the characters comment on the unexpectedness of their love interest's personality. The authors don't appear to know what they are trying to communicate, just taking a bunch of cliched, played out ideals of romance and throwing them together to create a "plot". I wonder if so many authors would do this, labelling it as romantic, if it weren't so overused.

Lucy ~Graphite Wizard~ | 217 comments I know, Shakesphere Romeo and Juilet was classy twighlight crummier than a big ol' biskit!

message 40: by ℂᖺαᖇᒪἷ℮ ⊰1017 &Tardis⊱, This is my witty title (head mod) (new)

lafon حمزة wrote: "Thanks Allison and Charlie.

What I find most weird though, is that a lot of these authors are female. I hate to ask but do any of you think like that? As a male, it does absolutely nothing for me...."

I KNOOOOOW.
I like when it's a make author better because they're so often better about romance! Which is so messed up from a girls point of view!
I would expect the lusting over girls being a make author thing. But it's usually female authors! Ugh. Books annoy me sometimes. Like the romance in the one I'm reading now, don't get me started!

In the book I'm writing, the romance takes a long time to develop, and the quickest one will not end well lol so I try to stay away from that.

message 41: by ℂᖺαᖇᒪἷ℮ ⊰1017 &Tardis⊱, This is my witty title (head mod) (new)

Lucy ~My fries!~ wrote: "I know, Shakesphere Romeo and Juilet was classy twighlight crummier than a big ol' biskit!"

Yes!!

Lucy ~Graphite Wizard~ | 217 comments Big ol' biscket!

message 43: by ℂᖺαᖇᒪἷ℮ ⊰1017 &Tardis⊱, This is my witty title (head mod) (new)

Lol!

Lucy ~Graphite Wizard~ | 217 comments I love saying that! But ya.

message 45: by Allison (new)

Allison (allibean) | 122 comments lafon حمزة wrote: "Thanks Allison and Charlie.

What I find most weird though, is that a lot of these authors are female. I hate to ask but do any of you think like that? As a male, it does absolutely nothing for me...."

Oh, didn't see this one.
In response to your question, I do believe an unfortunate number of girls think like this. And even some women. It is sad, but the world needs balance, I suppose. I, personally find it... well, a lot of things, really. I won't go into detail, we could be here all day. But no, I don't think like that. Gratefully.

Lucy ~Graphite Wizard~ | 217 comments I can't read. :D

message 47: by Allison (new)

Allison (allibean) | 122 comments Lucy ~My fries!~ wrote: "I can't read. :D"

Yet you can type... interesting...

message 49: by Leah (new)

Leah | 64 comments ℂᖺᗩᖇᒪἷᙓ ~Chaos Walking~ wrote: "That's gross.

I see people making out in the hallways of my school *shivers* so NOT cute"

I hear you! SO. GROSS.

ϮAʛʛⅇℛʊℵʛ {Supernatural Freak} (taggerung) | 7 comments I rarely read romances because the last thing I want to read is "lust lust lust, whoops there goes my virginity!" I HATE THAT GARBAGE!!!!! I want to keep my mind pure, not read that nonsense! So classics, and a few books from the 90's like Fortune's Journey and Ella Enchanted are about as far into romance as I get.

« previous 1