Fifty Shades of Grey (Fifty Shades, #1) Fifty Shades of Grey discussion

yes or no

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Linda (new) - added it

Linda Has anybody read this book and what did you think about it. I have read some good and some bad reviews.

Lauren (aplpeach) I just finished the whole trilogy in 4 days. I agree some of the writing could have been a little better, and bits of it were kind of annoying, but overall the story makes up for it in my opinion. Ana and Christian are characters that you could completely lose yourself in. I would definitely recommend these books to you. Don't listen to others reviews. You have to judge for yourself. Some of the negative reviews I think are coming from people who were actually uncomfortable reading about this kind of stuff. For her first time novels I think that these books were fantastic. Read them.

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy Lauren (aplpeach) wrote: "I just finished the whole trilogy in 4 days. I agree some of the writing could have been a little better, and bits of it were kind of annoying, but overall the story makes up for it in my opinion...."

I read the first book, and I was not uncomfortable with the content at all. I thought the writing was atrocious and the repetitive phrases made my head hurt. Also the fact that this was a Twilight fan fiction, I just could not get past the rip off characterization and plot thread. So for me, the sexual, BDSM content had nothing to do with my 1-star rating.

Lauren (aplpeach) Amy wrote: "Lauren (aplpeach) wrote: "I just finished the whole trilogy in 4 days. I agree some of the writing could have been a little better, and bits of it were kind of annoying, but overall the story make..."

I genuinely believe that some people like you hated the books and some people were just uncomfortable. The reason I say this is because I have a few friends who have read the books and after some discussions about them, we discovered some loved them, and some found fault with them because of the content. They were uncomfortable. I am not saying all negative comments are because of that just some. I was merely suggesting to Linda that she should form her own opinion because you never know why some people feel the way they do. I must agree with you however that some of the writing was sloppy, juvenile, and a little annoying at times. She could have found some better ways to express some of the repetitive sayings that she used I absolutely agree there. I am not seeing the twilight in it however. I have read that before and I do not know where it fits in. That confuses me a little.

message 5: by Amy (new)

Amy Lauren (aplpeach) wrote: "Amy wrote: "Lauren (aplpeach) wrote: "I just finished the whole trilogy in 4 days. I agree some of the writing could have been a little better, and bits of it were kind of annoying, but overall th..."

Check this out for the Twilight references listed (there were about 50 points of reference): http://www.fiftyshadesofplagiarism.bl...
I could not get past the characterization rip off.

Alyssa Amy wrote: "Lauren (aplpeach) wrote: "Amy wrote: "Lauren (aplpeach) wrote: "I just finished the whole trilogy in 4 days. I agree some of the writing could have been a little better, and bits of it were kind o..."

Some of those examples are pretty ridiclous to call plagiarism against and others are just so common that it's just silly. Like trying to copyright the phrase 'That's Hot." Some of them don't even make sense...^^; (How is it plagiarism when characters are opposite?)

I get that it looks pretty similar in some aspects but when I read that series I did not once think of Twilight but maybe it I knew before hand I might looked for similarities.

message 7: by Amy (last edited Jun 16, 2012 01:51PM) (new)

Amy Alyssa wrote: "Amy wrote: "Lauren (aplpeach) wrote: "Amy wrote: "Lauren (aplpeach) wrote: "I just finished the whole trilogy in 4 days. I agree some of the writing could have been a little better, and bits of it..."

It's more than the few phrases. It the personalities of the main characters - how those characters respond to each other and the events they go through. The purpose of a fanfiction is to take the original author's characters and write them into an alternate universe - that is why Ana and Bella are essentially the same personality and Christian and Edward are essentially the same personality - this started as a Twilight fanfiction, which is essentially a form of plagiarism that is somewhat allowed for the sake of taking your favorite characters and playing them out in different scenarios. How are the characters opposite? Ana is a shy, clumsy, bookish girl who cannot believe this "god" of a man is interested in her. She will do about anything for him, and she blushes at even the thought of him. Christian is a wealthy, beautiful "god" of a man who finds himself attracted to this ordinary girl against his better judgment. He warns her repeated to stay away from him because he is bad and dangerous, but he just can't stay away from her. He is amused with her reaction to things and tries desperately to understand why this sweet girl wants him because he is so bad/evil. He is constantly trying to protect her and is really hung up about her beater of a car and wants to shower her with gifts she doesn't want because she feels like she doesn't even deserve him, let alone lavish gifts. Sound familiar? Oh yes, that's Bella and Edward. And Jose? The male friend of Ana who is in love with her but wants more from her, forcing a kiss on her to try to convince her to choose him. Yep, Jacob in Eclipse. I knew beforehand this book's origins, so maybe that's why everything screamed out at me "Twilight" - only with whips and chains instead of vampires.

M.R. Linda wrote: "Has anybody read this book and what did you think about it. I have read some good and some bad reviews."

I am just finishing the third book; I felt the entire series was entertaining. Like anything else it really comes down to personal preference. It was certainly a quick read and really that is what I look for-I have to read enough about complicated subject matter for work, so this "fits the bill." I agree with the other post that much of the negative review comes from individuals not liking or simply uncomfortable with the subject matter. I will tell you, in my opinion, book 2 and 3 were very different from the first.

message 9: by Orlaith (last edited Jun 20, 2012 08:05AM) (new)

Orlaith It's a pretty fluffy read. It's not the best-written series, and it won't be winning any literary awards, but if you want to turn your brain off for a bit, give it a go.

There are better books out there, but there are worse too. Take it for what it is: pure fantasy. Not just the sex scenes, but the extravagant life-style, the bottomless bank accounts, it's a bit of escapism from everyday life.

I've heard from some people that the sex scenes were too bdsm-focused and a bit shocking, and from others that they were pretty tame and nothing compared to other bdsm novels, so I guess it all depends on your own outlook.

Personally, I enjoyed the series. As I said, hardly the best books I've ever read, but I liked switching my brain off and delving into their world.

message 10: by Robin - (last edited Jul 03, 2012 07:06PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Robin - Wicked By Design Orlaith wrote: "It's a pretty fluffy read. It's not the best-written series, and it won't be winning any literary awards, but if you want to turn your brain off for a bit, give it a go.

There are better books ou..."

I completely agree with everything you said.

I personally don't get the Twilight reference though I never really understand how people get so upset with comparing and crying 'rip off' with so many books. Most of these books follow the same basic formula with their own flair thrown in, which is fine (with me anyways lol)

I haven't read a whole lot of erotica because it's not something that really interests me but I have wound up reading a few that were highly recommended due to the story and I must say that fifty shades is quite tame. I don't get how shocked people were over the sex in the book but again, as said, it's all perception.

I thought it was a decent read and I enjoyed it for what it was.. it's always a good idea to walk into any book without a set of expectations, otherwise you are more then likely going to be disappointed.

message 11: by Jenna (new) - rated it 1 star

Jenna i read the book and didnt like it either it was plotless the whole first book was nothing but sex dont get me wrong i like erotica novels but atleast the ones ive read had plots. The authors repeativeness killed me to she found one funny thing to say and re used it over and over again it got very old. BUT with that being said im still stickin in there and im on the 2nd one and it is getting better. Atleast in this one there is some drama/suspense. (a bad guy, lelia)

message 12: by Jenna (new) - rated it 1 star

Jenna Alyssa wrote: "Amy wrote: "Lauren (aplpeach) wrote: "Amy wrote: "Lauren (aplpeach) wrote: "I just finished the whole trilogy in 4 days. I agree some of the writing could have been a little better, and bits of it..."

i thought of twilight several times there are a couple times in the first book where Christina says a line ALMOST word for word for what Edward said

Jamie If this is plagiarism, half the books written, classics included, would be plagiarism...

Lauren (aplpeach) Jenna wrote: "Alyssa wrote: "Amy wrote: "Lauren (aplpeach) wrote: "Amy wrote: "Lauren (aplpeach) wrote: "I just finished the whole trilogy in 4 days. I agree some of the writing could have been a little better,..."

I am just curious as to what lines those would be? I have heard it compared to twilight before but I don;t see it.

message 15: by Candace (last edited Jul 05, 2012 11:21AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Candace NO....JUST NO.... Unless you enjoy that kind of kinky fuckery. then yes. :}
Theres noo plot. just sex, sex, and ermm oh wait, more sex. And a faire share of immaturity.

Johnathan Jenna wrote: "Alyssa wrote: "Amy wrote: "Lauren (aplpeach) wrote: "Amy wrote: "Lauren (aplpeach) wrote: "I just finished the whole trilogy in 4 days. I agree some of the writing could have been a little better,..."

There are similarities with Twilight, with that being said i thought the characterization and the plot were better than Twilight. Twilight is a book i hated, FSOG i actually enjoyed. It's not all sex either for those that think that it is. The writing is not great but when you are pulled in by the story you hardly notice.

message 17: by Jenna (new) - rated it 1 star

Jenna Johnathan wrote: "Jenna wrote: "Alyssa wrote: "Amy wrote: "Lauren (aplpeach) wrote: "Amy wrote: "Lauren (aplpeach) wrote: "I just finished the whole trilogy in 4 days. I agree some of the writing could have been a ..."

what plot would that be? in the first book that is, where was the climax in the story. There wasnt one in the first book, the 2nd one yea there was a plot a story line but i just dont see it in the first. girl meets boy girl falls for boy and lots of sex. If you took out all the sex scene in the first book u wouldnt have a book