Historical Fictionistas discussion

HF Book Lists > Western European history in 15 novels, from the Vikings through WWII

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Garth (new)

Garth Recommended additions/changes? I recognize that the list is heavy on Ken Follett and American authors. I'm especially interested in recommendations for HF on French Revolution, Napoleon, and post-WWII Western Europe. Thanks.

1. 900s: The Long Ships by Frans G. Bengtsson
2. 1000s: The Physician by Noah Gordon
3. 1100s: The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett
4. 1300s: World Without End by Ken Follett
5. 1400s: The Agony and the Ecstasy by Irving Stone
6. 1500s: Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel
7. 1500s: Elizabeth I by Margaret George
8. 1600s: Galileo's Daughter: A Historical Memoir of Science, Faith and Love by Dava Sobel
9. 1700s: A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
10. 1800s: The Song of Departure: A Novel and The Sun of Austerlitz: A Novel by Max Gallo
11. 1900s: Fall of Giants by Ken Follett
12. 1910s: All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque
13. 1930s: A Postcard from the Volcano: A Novel of Pre-War Germany by Lucy Beckett
14. 1940s: Schindler's List by Thomas Keneally
15. 1940s: The Complete Maus by Art Spiegelman

message 2: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) | 17 comments Gulland's Josephine trilogy for the napoleonic era...

message 3: by Garth (new)

Garth Jennifer wrote: "Gulland's Josephine trilogy for the napoleonic era..."

This looks great -- thanks!

message 4: by Holly (new)

Holly Weiss (hollyweiss) | 295 comments Garth, both this and your list for American History look great. Thank you for sharing them!

message 5: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie I agree with Holly. Fantastic lists. Why don't you do one for Asia?

message 6: by Garth (new)

Garth Chrissie wrote: "I agree with Holly. Fantastic lists. Why don't you do one for Asia?"

@ 4 & 5: That's very kind of you. Sure, I'll try my hand at doing one for Asia.

message 7: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Garth, I have all my books sorted by setting rather than time period so I appreciate your method. I don't remember where each book fits in time-wise.

message 8: by JoLene, Mistress of the Challenge (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1287 comments Mod
I second the recommendation for the Josephine trilogy by Gulland.
I also high recommend Sharon Kay Penman work, specifically When Christ and His Saints Slept which also covers the 1100's. It is the first part of a trilogy --- the second two books are about Eleanor of Aquitaine.

message 9: by Beth (new)

Beth Camp How about adding German writer Oliver Potzsch for The Hangman's Daughter. Excellent read set in Bavaria in the 17th Century.

message 10: by Gabriel (last edited Jun 20, 2012 04:43AM) (new)

Gabriel I think Cornwell Bernard has some historical fictions that could be added. His Grail Quest Series would fit nicely in the Hundred Years War time period. Cornwell has also a Sxaon Series when the Saxons invaded England and I never read his Sharpe Series, but looking at his books it is around the napoleonic era as well. Looking over some of my books could use Jeffrey Archer's First Among Equals First Among Equals by Jeffrey Archer set in the 1980's The Last Kingdom (The Saxon Stories, #1) by Bernard Cornwell Sharpe's Eagle (Sharpe, #8) by Bernard Cornwell
The Archer's Tale (The Grail Quest, #1) by Bernard Cornwell

message 11: by James (last edited Jul 31, 2012 05:13PM) (new)

James | 34 comments I am sorry but any list of Western European historical fiction that does not include a single work of Alexandre Dumas has not been well researched. I am not meaning to offend, but it confuses me that the most celebrated Historical Fiction author ever is not even mentioned.

In addition Scaramouche Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini is another good book for French Revolution.

message 12: by Michael (new)

Michael Schmicker Garth wrote: "Recommended additions/changes? I recognize that the list is heavy on Ken Follett and American authors. I'm especially interested in recommendations for HF on French Revolution, Napoleon, and post-W..."

Aloha Garth:
Tale of two Cities for the 1700s? Great choice! Just finished listening to it via one of those "100 classics for $5" iPhone apps. Read it in high school but I had forgotten how absolutely great it was. Dickens is in a class by himself as a writer.
Cheers,
Michael

message 13: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Crampton (cramptonmargaret) | 8053 comments Agreed

message 14: by Michael (new)

Michael Schmicker Garth wrote: "Recommended additions/changes? I recognize that the list is heavy on Ken Follett and American authors. I'm especially interested in recommendations for HF on French Revolution, Napoleon, and post-W..."

Aloha Garth:
It's not fiction, but a companion to the 14th century should be Barbara Tuchman's splendid book "A Distant Mirror."
Cheers,
Michael