Dreamspinner Press discussion

Jamie Fessenden
This topic is about Jamie Fessenden
Meet the Author > Meet Jamie Fessenden

Comments Showing 1-50 of 169 (169 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Dreamspinner (new)

Dreamspinner Press (dreamspinnerpress) | 2637 comments Mod
Jamie Fessenden, author of Saturn in Retrograde, joins us today from 1-6pm EST to chat about his books, answer questions, and more!

message 2: by Lena (new)

Lena Grey | 94 comments Dreamspinner wrote: "Jamie Fessenden, author of Saturn in Retrograde, joins us today from 1-6pm EST to chat about his books, answer questions, and more!"

Where will the chat be? Where do I connect to join?

message 3: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Fessenden | 182 comments Hi, Lena! This is where the chat will be. We're just getting started. Welcome!

message 4: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Fessenden | 182 comments So, to kick things off, my name is Jamie Fessenden and I'm an author of M/M erotic fiction who's published several novellas through Dreamspinner Press.

My current novella is called "Saturn in Retrograde" and is part of the "Time Is Eternity" Daily Dose anthology put out by Dreamspinner this month.

During the chat, I'll be giving away 2 free copies of "Saturn in Retrograde"! All you have to do is post something with the answer to a question I'll be asking, and I'll pick a winner at random (probably with the names-in-a-hat trick) to receive a copy!

So, welcome! Feel free to ask me anything!

message 5: by Thea (new)

Thea Nishimori (theanishimori) | 19 comments Well, since you *did* say "anything"...

First of all, enquiring minds want to know: Are you gay yourself?

Secondly, you must get a lot of ideas for books, so how do you weed out the ones that won't work and keep the ones that you do write out?

message 6: by Lena (new)

Lena Grey | 94 comments I'm here! Nice to meet you Jaime!

message 7: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Fessenden | 182 comments The first giveaway will be to someone who posts a response to the question, "If you could travel back or forward in time to any time period, what would it be?"

(I'll be thinking of a different question for the second giveaway.)

Also, if you already happen to own a copy of "Saturn in Retrograde", feel free to ask for a free copy of one of my other novellas. I'm flexible. ;-)

Other novellas I've written are:

"The Meaning of Vengeance" (A short story about Vikings)
"The Christmas Wager" (Christmas Victorian)
"We're Both Straight, Right?" (Silly college boy comedy)
"The Dogs of Cyberwar" (Cyberpunk -- part one of a trilogy that's still in the works)

message 8: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Fessenden | 182 comments Thea, I'm gay and proud of it. My husband and I were married in NH in the fall of 2010.

message 9: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Fessenden | 182 comments Hi, Lena! Nice to meet you, too!

message 10: by Lena (new)

Lena Grey | 94 comments I'm interested in getting to know more about you since I reviewed your book 'A Christmas Wager'

message 11: by Lena (new)

Lena Grey | 94 comments i love historicals

message 12: by Thea (new)

Thea Nishimori (theanishimori) | 19 comments Jamie wrote: "Thea, I'm gay and proud of it. My husband and I were married in NH in the fall of 2010."

Belated congratulations! :D

message 13: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Fessenden | 182 comments Yes, I love that review! Thank you for it. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have.

message 14: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Fessenden | 182 comments Thank you, Thea! It was quite the shindig, with Erich and I and a good deal of our guests dressed in Victorian clothing at a Victorian tea. Unforgettable!

message 15: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Fessenden | 182 comments Lena, although I haven't written another adult historical in a while (though I certainly have plans to do more), I did just release a YA novel about a young man growing up gay in Viking Age Iceland.

message 16: by Lena (new)

Lena Grey | 94 comments Jamie wrote: "Yes, I love that review! Thank you for it. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have."

My review? Really? I'm relieved to hear it. I'm relatively new at the reviewing game, at least professionally.

message 17: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Fessenden | 182 comments I've done a LOT of research on the Viking Age.

message 18: by Lena (new)

Lena Grey | 94 comments Your wedding sounds delightful! Do you have pictures?

message 19: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Fessenden | 182 comments Lena, I thought the review was very nicely done. :-)

message 20: by Lena (new)

Lena Grey | 94 comments i love 'stepping back in time' my daughter and her friends are into reenactments, ren faires, anything in the past. i've joined in a few myself. it's quite an experience.

message 21: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Fessenden | 182 comments I did end up having a chat with Erastes about all of the historical and cultural oddities in the novel. Apparently, the fact that I'm an American is REALLY obvious to Brits who read that novel. :-) But most people seem to enjoy the romance, even so.

message 22: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Fessenden | 182 comments Yes, we have dozens of pictures, though I'm not sure how many are online. Certainly there are a lot of them scattered around facebook, but perhaps I should put a small album of our best pics on my wordpress blog.

message 23: by Diane (new)

Diane (Diall68) | 36 comments Jamie wrote: "The first giveaway will be to someone who posts a response to the question, "If you could travel back or forward in time to any time period, what would it be?"

Hi Jamie!
Nice to meet you and thanks for taking the time to answer questions today! I was actually just looking up your books this week!!!

Belated congratulations to you and your husband!

As for time travel - I think I'd like to go forward to a place where people are people without bias or judgement of any kind would be amazing! A place where kids don't get bullied or feel they have to take their own lives and a fight for rights is not happening in North America, but simply be spreading around the globe! (too utopian?!?)

I'd love to be in that world, and I'd love for that to be not that far away - what do you think? Can that world only exist in the books I read and love?

And Lena, I love your reviews!!!

message 24: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Fessenden | 182 comments Lena wrote: "i love 'stepping back in time' my daughter and her friends are into reenactments, ren faires, anything in the past. i've joined in a few myself. it's quite an experience."

Yes, I used to be involved in some reenactment and I still have several friends who are. They're valuable to consult with about different time periods. :-)

message 25: by Crissy (new)

Crissy Morris | 15 comments Hi Jamie!!

message 26: by Crissy (new)

Crissy Morris | 15 comments If I could step back in time I would visit the Regency period in England...I think it would be neat to see all of the Lords and Ladies of the ton

message 27: by Lena (new)

Lena Grey | 94 comments Jamie wrote: "I did end up having a chat with Erastes about all of the historical and cultural oddities in the novel. Apparently, the fact that I'm an American is REALLY obvious to Brits who read that novel. :..."

Erastes is a real stickler for all things historical. Don't let those bloody Brits bully you, Jamie!

message 28: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Fessenden | 182 comments Hi, Diane! Glad you could make it! And thank you.

Yes, I'd love to think that's what our future has in store for us. And maybe it's true. The world is getting smaller and people are wearying of racism, sexism, homophobia and all the rest.

message 29: by Jules (new)

Jules Lovesbooks (juleslovesbooks) | 206 comments Well if I could move through time I would definitely go to medieval England! I studied medieval England and Europe in college and would love to see it in reality!

message 30: by Jacob (new)

Jacob Flores | 283 comments Nice to meet you, Jamie. I'm Jacob. :) Looking forward to this event.

Jamie wrote: "So, to kick things off, my name is Jamie Fessenden and I'm an author of M/M erotic fiction who's published several novellas through Dreamspinner Press.

My current novella is called "Saturn in Re..."

message 31: by Lena (new)

Lena Grey | 94 comments Diane wrote: "Jamie wrote: "The first giveaway will be to someone who posts a response to the question, "If you could travel back or forward in time to any time period, what would it be?"

Hi Jamie!
Nice to me..."

Wow! Thanks Diane! I do try hard to be fair and dig a little deeper than some. I love it when an author tells me how excited they are that 'i got it'

message 32: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Fessenden | 182 comments Hi, Crystal! Thanks for stopping by!

Yes, I like the Regency period as well. I had meant to make "The Christmas Wager" a Regency, but I got it into my head that I wanted Christmas trees, which forced me to place it several decades later. I'd love to write a proper Regency someday.

message 33: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Fessenden | 182 comments Lena wrote: "Jamie wrote: "I did end up having a chat with Erastes about all of the historical and cultural oddities in the novel. Apparently, the fact that I'm an American is REALLY obvious to Brits who read ..."

Oh, I took my lumps in a dignified manner, and after that she was very sweet. And very helpful about some questions I had. I'm a big fan of her's.

message 34: by Jacob (new)

Jacob Flores | 283 comments I would travel to my childhood in the '70's. I would like to view my childhood through adult eyes and appreciate all those things I took for granted.

Jamie wrote: "The first giveaway will be to someone who posts a response to the question, "If you could travel back or forward in time to any time period, what would it be?"

(I'll be thinking of a different q..."

message 35: by Sue (new)

Sue Brown (sue_brown) | 190 comments I love your books, Jamie.

message 36: by Lena (new)

Lena Grey | 94 comments I don't know what time period I'd like to visit. It all seems very romantic in books, but the harsh reality of past times, kind of puts a damper on it, that, and being a woman. I am quite partial to knights and dragons an such though. Maybe a trip back to those times would be interesting.

message 37: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Fessenden | 182 comments Juliana, medieval England would definitely be fun. I just submitted a YA fantasy novel to Harmony Ink Press. It's not strictly medieval, but like many sword and sorcery novels it has a medieval feel, and there's something very soothing about that time period. (Though perhaps not to people who actually lived it.)

message 38: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Fessenden | 182 comments Welcome, Jacob! How are you doing?

message 39: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Fessenden | 182 comments Sue wrote: "I love your books, Jamie."

Thanks, Sue! Likewise! ;-)

message 40: by Lena (new)

Lena Grey | 94 comments Jamie wrote: "Lena wrote: "Jamie wrote: "I did end up having a chat with Erastes about all of the historical and cultural oddities in the novel. Apparently, the fact that I'm an American is REALLY obvious to Br..."

I love Erastes stories. I'd read more if Carina Press had a contract with QMO Books. I adore Alex Beecroft's work too.

message 41: by Jacob (new)

Jacob Flores | 283 comments I'm well, Jamie. Thank you. Glad to be here to show my support. :)

message 42: by Lena (new)

Lena Grey | 94 comments Jamie wrote: "Juliana, medieval England would definitely be fun. I just submitted a YA fantasy novel to Harmony Ink Press. It's not strictly medieval, but like many sword and sorcery novels it has a medieval f..."

that sounds like fun, Jamie! I hope it works out well.

message 43: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Fessenden | 182 comments Jacob wrote: "I would travel to my childhood in the '70's. I would like to view my childhood through adult eyes and appreciate all those things I took for granted.

Jamie wrote: "The first giveaway will be to so..."

That would actually be VERY cool. I had a great childhood, despite the turmoil in the rest of the world. My life, as an 11-year-old in 1977 REVOLVED around Star Wars. :-)

message 44: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Fessenden | 182 comments Lena wrote: "Jamie wrote: "Lena wrote: "Jamie wrote: "I did end up having a chat with Erastes about all of the historical and cultural oddities in the novel. Apparently, the fact that I'm an American is REALLY..."

Yes! So far, I think "False Colors" still rates as my all-time favorite historical.

message 45: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Fessenden | 182 comments Jacob wrote: "I'm well, Jamie. Thank you. Glad to be here to show my support. :)"

Much appreciated!

message 46: by Lena (new)

Lena Grey | 94 comments I loved Star Wars too. Now I feel old though. I was 27 in l977.

message 47: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Fessenden | 182 comments Lena wrote: "Jamie wrote: "Juliana, medieval England would definitely be fun. I just submitted a YA fantasy novel to Harmony Ink Press. It's not strictly medieval, but like many sword and sorcery novels it ha..."

Thanks! I've got my fingers crossed!

message 48: by Jules (new)

Jules Lovesbooks (juleslovesbooks) | 206 comments Jamie wrote: "Juliana, medieval England would definitely be fun. I just submitted a YA fantasy novel to Harmony Ink Press. It's not strictly medieval, but like many sword and sorcery novels it has a medieval f..."

Yeah, it is so easy to make a fantasy medieval. I think the time period lends itself to sorcery! I think I would want to visit but not live I that time! From what I studied it was wonderful and terrible at the same time! And I always wanted to sword fight! This may be why my favorite books growing up we're the lord of the rings!

message 49: by Lena (new)

Lena Grey | 94 comments I enjoyed 'False Colors' as well. How could anyone be hotter than John and Alfie? Alex is such a nice person as well. She's been very kind to me.

message 50: by Jacob (new)

Jacob Flores | 283 comments Mine too, but there was also Wonder Woman and Charlie's Angels. I was determined to be a strong woman at an early age. LOL!

Jamie wrote: "Jacob wrote: "I would travel to my childhood in the '70's. I would like to view my childhood through adult eyes and appreciate all those things I took for granted.

Jamie wrote: "The first giveaway..."

« previous 1 3 4