Gore and More discussion

Authors > Richard Laymon

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kevin (last edited Jun 16, 2012 08:57AM) (new)

Kevin (spiralcity) | 406 comments Mod
Are there any fans of Richard Laymon lurking this group?

If so, what is your favorite book from this author?

message 2: by William (new)

William (wmcc) Yeah,i would call myself a fan,although i haven't read nearly as many as i would like.
My favourites (in order)

One Rainy Night(My first Laymon book and still my fave)
The Stake
Island
Night in the Lonesome October

Least favourite

Flesh
Fiends

I just thought i would mention i recently read The Killing Kind by Bryan Smith and found it very similar to Laymon.Just in case anyone is running out of Laymon books to read,lol.

message 3: by Kevin (last edited Jun 16, 2012 09:22PM) (new)

William, welcome to the group.

I also enjoyed "One Rainy Night", It read like a horror movie.

One Rainy Night

I just finished a Bryan Smith book, "Darkened". Not a bad book but not exactly great.

Darkened

Smith has been compared to Laymon for some time now. After reading Darkened I can say I see a bit of similarity, but just a bit.

message 4: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 1 comments I'm a huge fan. I've read all of his books that I've found in ebook format.
I really loved the beast house series.
I also enjoyed the island, although I didn't find it as captivating.

message 5: by Eric (new)

Eric Greenfield wow, I have never heard of Laymon before today. which would make a good first Laymon book to read?

message 6: by Kevin (new)

Eric, try One Raing Night.

One Rainy Night by Richard Laymon

message 7: by Kevin (last edited Apr 04, 2013 12:51PM) (new)

Jenny wrote: "I'm a huge fan. I've read all of his books that I've found in ebook format.
I really loved the beast house series.
I also enjoyed the island, although I didn't find it as captivating."

I read most of his books, I enjoyed The Island, but my favorites are One Rainy Night, In The Dark, The Traveling Vampire Show, and The Stake.

Body Rides was also very good.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

My favorite Laymon novels:

The Cellar by Richard Laymon The Beast House by Richard Laymon After Midnight by Richard Laymon Dark Mountain by Richard Laymon

message 9: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (stephanielux) Im currently reading my first richard laymon book, Endless Night. Im not sure how i feel about it yet. Its interesting and I'm wondering where he is going with it. It isn't what i expected. The only thing i didn't like was at the beginning when theres murderers in the house and Jody seems completely calm. Im not much older than her and i cant imagine myself being able to stay in complete control like that. Anyways, im excited to find out what happens!

message 10: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (stephanielux) Okay i will be sure to read them too.

message 11: by Paul (new)

Paul Losada | 8 comments Just wanted to thank this group for introducing me to Richard Laymon. I recently stumbled across used copies of One Rainy Night and Endless Night--I still need to read the latter but I can see why One Rainy Night is a favorite here. I agree with Kevin that it very much reads like a quick paced horror/action film. I finished it in about 2 days. The Stake sounds like a particularly cool plot, so I'm hunting that one down next.

Now if I could only work up some enthusiasm for Ed Lee...

message 12: by Kevin (last edited Jan 20, 2014 03:35AM) (new)

Hi Paul,
Im glad you enjoyed One Rainy Night.

Richard Laymon has a striped down, to the point style about his writing. Some people cant stand his prose, claiming he lacks character development and tends to drift towards unbelievable plot lines.

I find that these complaints are what makes Laymons books so fun to read. They come across as fast passed, B-rated horror novels, and this works well for me when reading guilty pleasures.

I just find Laymon books to be pure fun, and that's what it's all about when all is said and done.

message 13: by Jacob (new)

Jacob Rayne | 6 comments Paul wrote: "Just wanted to thank this group for introducing me to Richard Laymon. I recently stumbled across used copies of One Rainy Night and Endless Night--I still need to read the latter but I can see why ..."

I loved The Stake.

message 14: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Costello My best Laymon book to date has to be Body Rides. Just started Island and it's pretty average for me at the moment and 95 pages in....

message 15: by Kevin (new)

Andrew wrote: "My best Laymon book to date has to be Body Rides. Just started Island and it's pretty average for me at the moment and 95 pages in...."

I enjoyed Island. I hope it picks up for you.

message 16: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Costello My word it's picked up!

message 17: by Jacob (new)

Jacob Rayne | 6 comments Love Island. One of his best

message 18: by Michael (new)

Michael | 5 comments What's the one about the Ouija board and the campers?

message 19: by Jacob (new)

Jacob Rayne | 6 comments Darkness Tell Us

message 20: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Costello I may try Love Island next

message 21: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Costello I was joking by the way, like Laymon would do a book called Love Island, ha!

message 22: by Lonnie (new)

Lonnie (easydemon) | 3 comments Andrew wrote: "My best Laymon book to date has to be Body Rides. Just started Island and it's pretty average for me at the moment and 95 pages in...."

Island was the first book followed by Body Rides which pretty much got me hook on his work. After reading The Traveling Vampire Show I joined Leisure Book club and bought every Laymon books that I could get my hands on. I think I read about 10 of them. I just started collecting the Kindle editions.

message 23: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (shaysmiles) My favorite is Night in the Lonesome October. I have also read Island, and the end really got to me.

message 24: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis I love the The Beast House series too.
But I agree with Shay about Night in the Lonesome October. I really LOVED that one. I could not put it down.

message 25: by Nurse (new)

Nurse Nightmare | 4 comments Personally I loved After Midnight I could not put that book down fast pace gruesome and wonderful!!

message 26: by Tom (new)

Tom | 17 comments To Wake the Dead
The Woods are Dark

Both totally over the top fun. Do NOT read if you are easily offended.

message 27: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth McKinley | 677 comments Mod
Laymon is the master of cheesy B-horror. Some people get a little uppity that the characters are shallow and the plot is thin and full of flaws, but that's the beauty of a B-movie. You don't rent them for Academy Award winning acting or script. The same is true for reading Laymon. He was one of the pioneer splatterpunks.

message 28: by Jessie (new)

Jessie | 31 comments I stumbled upon him not long ago and I was so happy! I just love sick bloody horror for some reason and this guy delivers. Endless night was a great read. I still have lots of his to read yet, so yay me!

message 29: by D20 (new)

D20 | 173 comments Ken wrote: "but that's the beauty of a B-movie. You don't rent them for Academy Award winning acting or script."

Just thought this bears repeating. A good story does make a B-movie better though.

message 30: by matthew smith (new)

matthew smith | 3 comments its like I found my haven lol I own all of laymons books my favorite book was night in the lonesome October its hard for me to choice which book is my favorite but that one has to be it I have read it 11 times now savage is another fav of mine

message 31: by Kevin (last edited Jul 29, 2016 03:26AM) (new)

Scott wrote: "I enjoy watching b-movies from time to time, but reading invests more time and effort, so I expect more."

There is nothing wrong with his prose and his stories move quick and for the most part fluid. The B-movie remarks are based on his splatter punk style. There are some over the top ideas showcased at times and the sex can be gratuitous, so if you are easily offended then I would say Laymon is not for you.

I have to be honest, if you are reading horror for ground breaking prose and new world views, then you are reading the wrong genre. I'm not saying there are no gifted writers in the field, there are a few, but this is not the place to hunt down the next great world renown writer.

I mostly read this genre for a get-away, escapism, the books are simple , guilty pleasures.

message 32: by Kevin (new)

D20 wrote: "Ken wrote: "but that's the beauty of a B-movie. You don't rent them for Academy Award winning acting or script."

Just thought this bears repeating. A good story does make a B-movie better though."

Have you read Laymon? His stories and ideas are his best gift, it's the character depth that seems a bit thin at times and can also be repetitive.

message 33: by Kevin (last edited Jul 30, 2016 12:26AM) (new)

Scott wrote: "Kevin wrote: "I have to be honest, if you are reading horror for ground breaking prose and new world views, then you are reading the wrong genre."

I don't agree at all; there are Great writers in ..."

Sorry, but I think otherwise. There are good writers in horror such as Gifune, Clive Barker, Bradbury, and maybe Simmons, but their work is not high literature nor is it intended to be.

Bryan Smith is adequate at best not to mention so many others. I'm not saying they can not write, but there is a HUGE difference between literary quality and pulp for the masses. Horror is and has been pulp for the masses since it's inception, though some have managed to take it to higher levels, Imajica comes to mind.

I think there is quality in horror but not on the level of high literature. Bradbury had a gift of making his prose dance and sing. A lyrical writer with colorful prose. A gifted story teller.

If you have ever read a Keeley review you would begin to understand the difference between academic and scholarly verse pulp for the masses, ( or at least get Keely's view on the subject). Although I have my differences with Keeley and disagree with many of his reviews, I do respect his views and great insight to literature as a whole.

Debatable? Possibly.

message 34: by Kevin (last edited Jul 30, 2016 03:09AM) (new)

Scott wrote: "You're pretty condescending for someone who doesn't seem have read very widely in genre."

Really? Everything I have mentioned I have read and then some, and if you took the time to examine all 47 pages of books I have read you would have realized my folders are not updated, and by simply looking in my horror folder you have missed many, many books I have read inside and outside this genre, but I digress, I truly have no desire or need to go there, what would be the point?

Condescending? I guess if a person feels challenged by such trivial matters it may come across as such.

As I stated, it's all debatable for those up to the dull challenge of such a task. I for one rest my case and chose to move on.

If you do decide you would like to have an intelligent, peaceful conversation and refrain from ad hominem when you feel challenged, then feel free to add your thoughts here, but try to remain civil and make clear and precise points.

And thank you for calling me pretty, although my name is not Condescending, it's Kevin. :)

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) Sorry to say I'm not a Laymon fan, although it's clear he's well loved by the majority of horror readers. The one I enjoyed most was Endless Night. I've read about 5 of his books.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) Kevin wrote: "If you have ever read a Keeley review you would begin to understand the difference between academic and scholarly verse pulp for the masses, ( or at least get Keely's view on the subject). Although I have my differences with Keeley and disagree with many of his reviews, I do respect his views and great insight to literature as a whole."

Can you give a link to Keeley? Do you mean someone on Goodreads or a reviewer elsewhere?

message 37: by Kevin (last edited Jul 30, 2016 01:27AM) (new)

Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder* wrote: "Sorry to say I'm not a Laymon fan, although it's clear he's well loved by the majority of horror readers. The one I enjoyed most was Endless Night. I've read about 5 of his books."

Some love him, some hate him. I know he is not for everyone.

Keeley has many reviews on this site with some great conversations among academics as well as the general population. You may disagree with many of his reviews but the conversations are intelligent and amusing.

If you look for George Martin's Game Of Thrones and skim through the reviews, you will find Keeley's 1 star review, and you can follow him from there.

message 38: by Nurse (new)

Nurse Nightmare | 4 comments After Midnight After Midnight - hands down my favourite so far of Laymons, in saying that I still have a few of his to explore :)