Next Generation Authors discussion

Recommendations :) > What do you want to see on the site?

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (velliya) | 441 comments Mod
Tell me what you would like to see and do on this site :)

message 2: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 16, 2012 02:07AM) (new)

Well, with the roleplays maybe you could do something that is totally different compared to the other roleplays that are on Goodreads. Something totally out of this 'world' and just...different. It could be heaps more interactive with may more elements and something that ANYONE can contribute to- sometimes it's really hard to join in a roleplay epecially if it's been going on for a while as the beginning has already past. Some rolplays are just pointless to join. Maybe something with more visuals (e.g. descriptions, images or a link to another site that has more components than what you can already put on Goodreads)

message 3: by Rachel (new)

I jnow what you meab, sometimes I miss out on some really awesome roleplays. I was thinking that the roleplays are either set in different worlds, th

message 4: by Rachel (new)

(sorry) that we, the members design before hand, because that's what authors do. Or, we could have a couple of tribute roleplays to our favourite authors :) (we'd be very selective though)
We'd make the stories not as specific so that people can join whenever :)
thanks for your ideas.

message 5: by Beryl (new)

Beryl S.K. Nanowrimo discussions. If you don't know what Nano is, it stands for 'national novel writing month', and it takes place during every Novemeber. It's a writing challenge where a person has to write a 50k word novel in a month.

Although there is already a huge nano forum on the official site, here we could have more personal discussions, share ideas, give tips and be more available to each other.

The other thing is that doing this kind of challenge is possible any time, really. I'll be writing a new novel during the month of july and the month of august, attempting 100k each. Maybe some people would like to do it with me? :D

message 6: by Rachel (new)

That sounds awesome! I cant believe that I've never herd of it! I definately think that we should do something 'Nanowrimo' orientated :D great suggestion!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Beryl wrote: "Nanowrimo discussions. If you don't know what Nano is, it stands for 'national novel writing month', and it takes place during every Novemeber. It's a writing challenge where a person has to write ..."

That is an awesome idea!

message 8: by Beryl (new)

Beryl S.K. Nanowrimo also does a summer challenge here: http://campnanowrimo.org/

although only in june and august, which is what inspired me to do it in summer too.

I have links of sites that provide word counters too, to help anyone keep track of how far they've gone and what they have left to do, although if you sign up for nano/ camp nano you get one on your homepage.

♬ ☮ Priya ♀ ♏ {Smoke and Starlight} ☠ ☯  (darkskies) | 23 comments I was wondering if we could create a create a folder where members can post their writings for others to read and get critiques. Or share their ideas at least. You did mention something like that in the group discussion.

message 10: by Rachel (new)

Yeah definately, that was one on the main reasons I created the group for :)
Go ahead, I'll be creating one soon :)

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

A place where we could share parts our writing.

message 13: by Beryl (new)

Beryl S.K. Sharing parts of our writing seems rlly fun. Here's this site called figment (http://figment.com/) where people post their stories, or shorts, online.

I bet there are countless of other sites like that, and it seems pretty cool. I'm just personally really terrified someone would steal what I post? Because you never know... Just wanted to know people's opinion on this, because maybe we could post some of our more completed stuff there? We could discuss it here, and see what kind of reviews we get there?

message 14: by Rachel (new)

We're all witnesses here ;) no one will steal your ideas if they really appreciate them :)

♬ ☮ Priya ♀ ♏ {Smoke and Starlight} ☠ ☯  (darkskies) | 23 comments Also, www.wattpad.com is a really awesome site! I'm pretty much addicted to it. Some stories there are much better than published ones.

message 16: by Rachel (new)

Yeah, all we want to do is encourage authors to share.
I'm working on two books at the moment, one, I've been workinf on for about 2 years and the other, I've just started on.
The latter, I'll put up first, because it's so early in development taht I'd really love to hear everyone's opinions :)
I'm gonna try and put it up in the next few hours if I can.

message 17: by Elisar (new)

Elisar (ehlihr) | 92 comments Are we going to have any short story competitions? [Inspired by a picture, a famous quote, etc.] I think it would be a great writing exercise. :)

message 18: by Rachel (new)

Yep, I'm gonna get one of the other mods to do that though, I suck at short stories XD

message 19: by Elisar (new)

Elisar (ehlihr) | 92 comments Lol. I have like, thirty of them on my laptop. But those are the GOOD ones [in my opinion]. The other ones… *shudder*

message 20: by Rachel (new)

haha I've written one or two, but they're more like letters than sgort stories :P

message 21: by Elisar (new)

Elisar (ehlihr) | 92 comments That reminds me… In the fourth grade (view spoiler) we had to do an assignment in which we wrote a short story on how Mount Everest came to be. I read it today, and felt my stomach churn. It was… horrible.

message 22: by Elisar (new)

Elisar (ehlihr) | 92 comments Rachel wrote: "haha I've written one or two, but they're more like letters than sgort stories :P"

That’s cool! I had to write a letter to a [fake] pen-pal in Nepal for International Day. [Same reason for above ^.^]

message 23: by Rachel (new)

I have the same thing! I read stuff from like five years ago and I'm like "What is this?" tthey're so bad

message 24: by Elisar (new)

Elisar (ehlihr) | 92 comments Yeah… Except, five years ago, my sentences consisted of this:

The buny jumped overr the rok and piked upp the carut.

message 25: by Elisar (new)

Elisar (ehlihr) | 92 comments Ah, being six was awesome.

message 26: by Elisar (new)

Elisar (ehlihr) | 92 comments Yup.

message 27: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 47 comments I would like to do a chat room

message 28: by Rachel (new)

Cool :) I'll set one up.

message 29: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 47 comments Alright perfect

message 30: by L (new)

L Topics connected to writing (*as aspiring authors group*) so roleplays, poetry and challenges to get those creative juices flowing.

Book discussions on current works and different genres.

message 31: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin (elspethgordie) | 196 comments Mod
Good idea, we'll definitely be starting up some more roleplays soon, and I'd also like to have some short story contests. Or maybe not contests, just places to write and get opinions.
When we start up group reads (really soon) we'll definitely put up some discussions, and I'll also put up some general ones- e.g. Harry Potter, Hunger Games, etc.

message 32: by L (new)

L Caitlin wrote: "Good idea, we'll definitely be starting up some more roleplays soon, and I'd also like to have some short story contests. Or maybe not contests, just places to write and get opinions.
When we star..."

Sounds great!

message 33: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 47 comments That sounds perfect