SOS: Serious Overload of Series discussion

RIP: Dead/Expired Threads > LISTEN UP! June is Audiobook Month

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (last edited Jun 16, 2012 03:49AM) (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28264 comments [image error]

Share your favorite audiobooks, narrators, times and spots to listen, etc.

Feel free to list/rate your audiobooks and their narrators here.

How often do you listen to audiobooks? Do you have a favorite series or narrator you like to listen to?

message 2: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28264 comments How often do you listen to audiobooks?
I typically listen to 1-2 a month; more or less depending on availability at my library.

I've been tempted to purchase an audible membership, but haven't yet. Does anyone belong to audible? How do you like it - worth the monthly fee?

Do you have a favorite series or narrator you like to listen to? I love listening to Ward's BDB books whenever possible. I have also been enjoying re-reading (listening) to Nalini's Psy-Changeling books lately.

Don't forget, http://www.audiobooksync.com/ is offering free audiobooks during the summer. Thanks to AH for sharing the link w/us each year. This year's downloads run from: June 14 - August 22, 2012.

However, they do have some non-US restrictions, which can be viewed here: http://www.audiobooksync.com/free-syn...

message 3: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 6371 comments Thanks for passing on the post! I've actually only listened to one audiobook...but keep meaning to increase that...

message 4: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 2752 comments How often do you listen to audiobooks?
I usually have an audiobook and a print/ebook going so I'm listening to an audio ALL the time.

Does anyone belong to audible? How do you like it - worth the monthly fee?
Depends on how many audiobooks you listen and the availability at your library. They have tons of sales (almost once a month) where you can get audiobooks cheaply. Most of the time the library doesn't have the audios right away so if it's a series I follow (Iron Druid chronicles, etc.) or a book I want quickly, I just get them from Audible.

Do you have a favorite series or narrator you like to listen to?
Outlander series narrated by Davina Potter - long books but amazing narration
Iron Druid Chronicles narrated by Luke Daniels
Immortals After Dark narrated by Robert Petkoff (my latest addiction...I had heard the narration was good but the guy was AMAZING and the accents were really well done)

I also listen to many other genres so anybody who wants to try an audio feel free to ask me.

message 5: by Josie (new)

Josie | 1967 comments I've only recently begun to use audiobooks, so I'm a bit of a newbie. I started The Dresden Files this year and on #5 so far, so on average it takes me about a month to read each (I think they're about 10 hours long at the moment).
I'm definitely interested in reading other audiobooks but I think I'd borrow them from libraries instead of buying them.

message 6: by Gin (new)

Gin | 99 comments I am usually always listening to and reading a book. I would say on average I listen to 2 books a month. Sometimes more if I'm listening to a series that I'm really in to. They go so much slower than actually reading.

I love audible, it is well worth the price to me. I'm very particular about the books that I listen to. I try to stick with the ones that come highly recommended in audio. I find some narrators can actually make a book better than if you would have read them. I like having the freedom of picking what I want when I want it. I like being able to read all of the reviews on audible as well.

I think my favorite audio series would have to be the Downside Series by Stacia Kane. The narrator was perfect!

message 7: by Lis (last edited Jun 16, 2012 12:50PM) (new)

Lis | 3552 comments I'm an audiobook FIEND. It's my way of "reading" when I have to do housework, gardening, cooking and entertain myself during my long daily commute. I often read books first and if I like the series then "re-read" in audio. I've never done audible, just iTunes and crashed my laptop with all the storage so now I have an external drive for the files, so beware.

Favorites:
Davina Porter for Diana Gabaldon's OUTLANDER series is awesome and an all time fav.
Marguerite Gavin does several like Kim Harrison's THE HOLLOWS series,
Jennifer Van Dyke does Mead's DARK SWAN
Justine Eyre does Nalini Singh's GUILD HUNTER series
Bahni Turpin does KANE's DOWNSIDE GHOST
Johanna Parker does Charlaine Harris' SOOKIE STACKHOUSE series and the Savannah books for Kelly Armstrong's WOMEN OF THE OTHERWORLD series.
Jeanne Stein's ANNA STRONG CHRONICLES
Richelle Vincent's GEORGIA KINCAID SUCCUBUS Series

Also really enjoyed the HUNGER GAMES trilogy in audio.

When releases come out in Hardcover first I prefer to spend a few $ more and get the audio, so I have tried a few Karen Marie Monings FEVER series and Highlander series. But Phil Gigante is not one of my favs for read sexy scenes for some reason.

These are OK:
Kimberly Alexis does he more recent LKH's ANITA BLAKE series
And Laurel Merlington does her MEREDITH GENTRY series.
Jennifer Estep's ELEMENTAL ASSASINS
Faith Hunter's JANE YELLOWROCK series
Rachel Vincents SHIFTER series.
CE Murphy's NEGOTIATOR series.
Jennifer Armintrout's BLOOD TIES series had odd character voices...

Recently tried Veronica Roth's Divergent series for YA series. And did the TWILIGHT series too along with 2nd 50 shades book, but found those less appealing in audio.

I've also enjoyed a few of JR Ward's BDB Series, Nalini Singh's PSY CHG rereads and Maggie Shayne's WINGS IN THE NIGHT and Christine Feehans NIGHTWALKER and CARPATHIAN series. Lyndsay Sands Vampires and Kenyon's DARK HUNTER series. Brenda Joyce's MASTERS OF TIME, Gena Showalter LORDS OF THE UNDERWORLD,

Some partial series reads I tried were a few fantasy series: Terry Goodkind's
SWORD OF TRUTH and CL Wilson's TARIEN SOUL, but I get a little ADD on fantasy and prefer to read them.

message 8: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 2752 comments Lis - If you buy a lot of audiobooks, I totally recommend you get an Audible membership. You have to pay a monthly fee but this gets you a credit which you can use to get a book. But the best thing is that they have like a million sales (at least once or twice a month) where you can get audiobooks really cheap.

For instance, now they have a sale where members could get 25% off member prices (which are already 30% cheaper than regular list prices.) I was able to get the audiobooks for No Rest for the Wicked and Wicked Deeds on a Winter's Night for $7.35 each. If I had bought them at iTunes, I would have paid $14.95 each.

message 9: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28264 comments Thanks for the audible info, DG. I'll have to reconsider it, maybe ask for a membership as a Christmas gift or something. That way I won't feel guilty if I don't "live up to" the monthly fee.

Great lists! My library has Hunger Games and I'll probably listen to them whenever I decided to do a re-read.

Marguerite Gavin narrates Kitty Norville and The Hollows, so I find it disorienting initially when I start one of those audiobooks. (Like, Hey! Why's Kitty talking to Jinks?! LOL!) And, sometimes I find her voice more appealing when I speed it up a bit vs. listen at regular speed. (I know, I'm odd)

message 10: by AH (new)

AH | 2271 comments I've been listening to Bloody Jack: Being an Account of the Curious Adventures of Mary "Jacky" Faber, Ship's Boy - It's suitable for all ages and is a lot of fun. I think that there are 9 books in the series and Jacky is hilarious. The narrator, once you get used to her accent, is pretty good. The only thing about this series is that there is a lot of description of everything which is OK considering it's 1) an audio book and 2) historical - so the descriptions are good.

message 11: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 2752 comments Steph - Audible usually has a free membership trial for a month or whatever. I just don't know if you'll be able to sign up to the US site from Japan. There are tons of issues with audiobook right so sometimes book availability is not the same by country.

message 12: by Valerie ~ Val Hall ~ (last edited Jun 20, 2012 12:29PM) (new)

Valerie ~ Val Hall ~ | 8449 comments How often do you listen to audiobooks?
Not on a regular basis really but I like to have one handy for repetitive tasks.

I have really just started so my experience is limited. Mostly I use library audiobooks. I found out that dislike female voices.

Do you have a favorite series or narrator you like to listen to?
Harry Dresden series by Jim Butcher, series narrated by James Marsters
A Song of Ice and Fire series by G.R.R. Martin, narrated by Roy Dotrice
Night Angel series by Brent Weeks, narrated by Paul Boehmer
Lords of the Underworld by Gena Showalter, narrated by Max Bellmore
The Demon Cycle series by Peter V. Brett, narrated by Pete Bradbury
A Land Fit for Heroes series by Richard K. Morgan, narrated by Simon Vance

Some of them changed the voice and diction to differentiate between characters.

On a side note...anyone has an opinion on graphic audio? I listened only to a short story from the Night Angel....the sound of wind, sword action and all that was a bit loud for me.

message 13: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 2752 comments I prefer male narrators too, Valerie. For me it's more important for the guys to sound manly than for the women to sound feminine.

message 14: by AH (new)

AH | 2271 comments Valerie ~ Val Hall ~ wrote: "How often do you listen to audiobooks?
Not on a regular basis really but I like to have one handy for repetitive tasks.

I have really just started so my experience is limited. Mostly I use library..."

We've listened to
Jacob Two-Two Meets the Hooded Fang (Jacob Two-Two Adventures in audio and it was a full production, different voices, music, sound effects. For kids, it was awesome - In fact there never seemed to be any kids in the car when this one was playing.

message 15: by Steph Ann (new)

Steph Ann | 1163 comments I only recently began listening to audiobooks when I have downtime at work, but I've found that I can typically get through 1-2 books a week. I've only listened to a handful so far, but my favorite narrator at the moment is Susan Ericksen, who narrates JD Robb's In Death series.

I mainly use the library to get my audiobooks, as I can never tell how busy I'm going to be at work on a given day, so I don't want to commit to paying for a subscription somewhere.

message 16: by Josie (new)

Josie | 1967 comments Has anyone listened to the Night Huntress series, narrated by Tavia Gilbert? Do you recommend it?