ONTD Book Club discussion

Monthly Suggestions > July Suggestions!

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Wigs (new)

Wigs (wigsnatcher) | 556 comments Mod
Hey guys! Time to start suggesting what you think you want to read next month! Hopefully some of you are enjoying the June books :3 Have at it!

message 2: by Wigs (new)

I noticed that a lot of have The Forest of Hands and Teeth on our to-read list so I'll just throw that one out there for now.

The Forest of Hands and Teeth (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #1) by Carrie Ryan

message 3: by Tamara✨ (last edited Jun 15, 2012 09:46PM) (new)

Tamara✨ (jeremyhillaryboob) i read this book, Zoo City, earlier this year and i really enjoyed it! i think it's something different to what is normally read here!

message 4: by Laura (new)

Laura (javamonster) | 13 comments I heard good things about Fury. I've been meaning to read this one for a while

message 5: by Alicia (is beyond tired of your *ish) (last edited Jun 16, 2012 02:45AM) (new)

Alicia (is beyond tired of your *ish) (ostensiblya) | 71 comments Wigs wrote: "I noticed that a lot of have The Forest of Hands and Teeth on our to-read list so I'll just throw that one out there for now.

The Forest of Hands and Teeth (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #1) by Carrie Ryan"

I will be such a bitch in the comments of that book, haha. Raaaaage.

I feel bad suggesting anything since I may not even get to American Gods this month now after I suggested it and another pile of books for this month. Sigh. But:

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

I'll probably be back with more.

message 6: by Krista (last edited Jun 16, 2012 08:09AM) (new)

Krista (leia1912) | 12 comments Okay, if you want a snark choice, why not "The Selection"? http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10...

Or, also for the snark category--and brace yourself here for the most cracktastic book of all time--"Switched," aka the book in which a teenage girl discovers she's a troll princess.

(Yes. I love this book because I can't even talk about it without crying laughing at how horrible it is.)

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/85...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OO8LsD...

message 7: by Wigs (new)

OMG YES YES The Selection for snark of the month I totally support this!!!

message 8: by Krista (new)

Krista (leia1912) | 12 comments It is the Bachelor meets the Hunger Games with a strong slant of Fox News paranoia thrown in. How can you go wrong?

message 9: by Megan (new)

Megan (bookbrats) | 125 comments Mod
Clearly, I hated The Selection, so you're on your own if you go with that one, LMAO.

My suggestion was going to be Shatter Me for snark.

message 10: by Wigs (new)

Oh yes obvs please throw out as many snark suggestions as you want since it's a separate vote!

message 11: by Florci Flor (new)

Florci Flor | 6 comments Hi, this is my first time commenting I'm not part of the ONTD community because I don't have a Livejournal account but I always read and read the comments... Why don't we read something with more substance?? Something like Man's Searching for Meaning by viktor Frankl because The Selection seems stupid (not sorry to say) and I really want to discuss a book with other people :)

message 12: by Wigs (new)

Well if you notice like this month we've been reading multiple books. Substance wise, I find that the books that win are usually something with wide appeal and are fairly easy to tackle within a busy lifestyle. I myself never read srs bizness books but the suggestions are always welcome! And welcome to ONTD book club!

message 13: by Wigs (new)

And the shitty books are purposeful, because it's ontd and we live for snark.

message 14: by forestsprite (new)

forestsprite | 10 comments I want an ARC of Stormdancer (see http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10...), but I won't hold my breath.

I might start a fantasy epic for the summer, but I'm not sure that's up everyone's alley (especially after so many people just finished or are still reading ASOIF). I started Tad William's Memory, Sorrow and Thorn trilogy but if it doesn't catch me I might also look at Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy. Or something by Robin Hobb or J.V. Jones or Joe Abercrombie. I think someone was stanning for J.V. Jones in one of the many book posts, but I might be misremembering. Anyone have any recs?

message 15: by Megan (new)

I'm trying to hunt down a copy of Stormdancer, but it'll be out in August even if nobody gets it.

(Blogging has its benefits - I have copies of books for October and November sitting on my bookshelf waiting to be read, mwahaha.)

But in other news, I want to suggest Nick Hornby's A Long Way Down and Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater and... hrm... Oryx and Crake again!

Alicia (is beyond tired of your *ish) (ostensiblya) | 71 comments Nonfic read: Sex on the Moon The Amazing Story Behind the Most Audacious Heist in History by Ben Mezrich

Snark read: Modelland (Modelland, #1) by Tyra Banks

message 17: by Fran (new)

Fran (narflet) | 36 comments I feel bad suggesting anything as I've only just started on 1 of the June reads (Stiff), but a couple I want to read are Fahrenheit 451 and Frankenstein (because I've just seen the brilliant National Theatre production), both of which could do as a 'classic' read (if that's something we're going to do)?

message 18: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (ttakats) How about Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury in honor of his death (which was a few days ago for you who are not aware!)

message 19: by Wigs (last edited Jun 17, 2012 05:22PM) (new)

Taylor wrote: "How about Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury in honor of his death (which was a few days ago for you who are not aware!)"

That's on my to-read list so I'm here for that.

Also, I read Frankenstein a couple years ago for a class. It wasn't that bad in terms of like, classic 19th century lit. I think it was pretty readible!

message 20: by Megan (new)

We could go all out and read War and Peace.

message 21: by Wigs (new)

Never!!!!!

NEVER

message 22: by forestsprite (new)

forestsprite | 10 comments I don't feel like War and Peace is a summer reading book. I'd be on board for Bradbury, preferably not Fahrenheit 451, only because I've read it already and I'm selfish that way. It's an awesome book, though.

message 23: by Peyton (new)

Peyton | 7 comments No one believed I was destined for greatness.

I propose The Queen's Vow: A Novel Of Isabella Of Castile since I just got it, and it's apparently full of court intrigue. I think ONTD could get on board with that.

message 24: by Mia (new)

Mia (mia-culpa) | 67 comments lol @ War and Peace, but I like the idea of reading some Bradbury. I haven't read any of his.

I'm having trouble finding time to read at all, so good audiobook recommendations would be nice.

Maybe Graceling since that trilogy is finally completed (and I've been waiting to start it until it was... no more GRRM burns, please). I've also been meaning to read Crown Duel which I heard was fun. And heck, Starship Troopers so I include at least one Scifi.

message 25: by Mia (new)

Mia (mia-culpa) | 67 comments Wigs wrote: Also, I read Frankenstein a couple years ago for a class. It wasn't that bad in terms of like, classic 19th century lit. I think it was pretty readible!

Frankenstien is so rad, especially all the backstory about it's writing. I've been meaning to try and read Shelley's other book The Last Man.

message 26: by Emy (new)

Emy (emy0lee) | 92 comments I don't really know what to suggest for this month. Trying to think of things that might have a wider appeal:
One Day, The Princess Bride? Or maybe one that people are less likely to have read: The Tiger's Wife?

I'd be on board for Radbury. Snark-wise, I think I'll have to skip this month, unless it's Modelland, because I have to know what all that crazy shit on ANTM was all about.

Frankenstein is a great read from what I can remember (read it 20 years ago!) so if you're curious about it, you should definitely check it out.

message 27: by Samah (new)

Samah Majadla | 6 comments How about Good Omens, White Teeth, Looking for Alaska, or A Prayer for Owen Meany for fiction and The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat or Outliers: The Story of Success (I've read The Tipping Point by the him and it was great) for nonfiction?

message 28: by Lina (new)

Lina Rivera (linarivera) | 12 comments Once again I'm throwing out the suggestion of my novel, Vizcaya! I can offer the group a free PDF to download and read. :)

Alicia (is beyond tired of your *ish) (ostensiblya) | 71 comments Regular reads: The Flame Alphabet by Ben Marcus The Boy in the Suitcase by Lene Kaaberbøl Crocodile on the Sandbank (Amelia Peabody #1) by Elizabeth Peters (suggested them last month)

message 30: by Peyton (new)

Peyton | 7 comments Alicia wrote: "Regular reads: The Flame Alphabet by Ben Marcus The Boy in the Suitcase by Lene Kaaberbøl Crocodile on the Sandbank (Amelia Peabody #1) by Elizabeth Peters (suggested them last month)"

Love Amelia Peabody!

message 31: by Alicia (is beyond tired of your *ish) (last edited Jun 21, 2012 02:39AM) (new)

Alicia (is beyond tired of your *ish) (ostensiblya) | 71 comments Peyton wrote: "Love Amelia Peabody!"

Ooh, that's cool. I bought the Omnibus super cheap on Kindle so I need to get started reading them at some point!

message 32: by Emy (new)

Emy (emy0lee) | 92 comments Alicia wrote: "Peyton wrote: "Love Amelia Peabody!"

Ooh, that's cool. I bought the Omnibus super cheap on Kindle so I need to get started reading them at some point!"

Was this offer available recently?

Alicia (is beyond tired of your *ish) (ostensiblya) | 71 comments Emma wrote: "Was this offer available recently?"

No, sorry, it was back in March before the Omnibus came out.

message 34: by Emy (new)

Emy (emy0lee) | 92 comments Alicia wrote: "Emma wrote: "Was this offer available recently?"

No, sorry, it was back in March before the Omnibus came out."

Nevermind. :)

message 35: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (optimisticlyricist) | 11 comments Emma wrote: "I don't really know what to suggest for this month. Trying to think of things that might have a wider appeal:
One Day, The Princess Bride? Or maybe one that people are less likely to have read: Th..."

I've always wanted to read The Princess Bride, so I'm down with that.

message 36: by Wigs (new)

Polls are up!

message 37: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 45 comments I like Zoo City or some Bradbury in fiction.

Devil in The White City or Outliers for non-fiction.

I feel bad for not reading American Gods this month. I will try to finish it this month. I barely cracked the spine. :(