Great Middle Grade Reads discussion

GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > New MG Books or Series

Comments Showing 1-50 of 83 (83 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by S.W. (new)

S.W. (swlothian) | 843 comments Mod
This thread is so we can share and discuss new Middle Grade books or Series that have grabbed our interest.

message 2: by S.W. (last edited Jul 02, 2012 04:50PM) (new)

To get the ball rolling I thought I'd list my current favourite series.
Yes ..... It's mine and I am biased, but, I'm only human and would love the stories to be enjoyed by kids.
These books are full of history, action and adventure and aim to engage and excite kids whilst teaching them the importance of loyalty and teamwork.

The Golden Scarab (The Quest Series - Book 1) by S.W. Lothian The Cursed Nile (The Quest Series - Book 2) by S.W. Lothian

Ok so that's me done, I'm very keen to discover other great MG books/series.

message 3: by Marie (new)

Marie Stroughter (oneknittingmama) | 2 comments The Fifties Chix, by Angela Dage Larsen. Time traveling teen girls. Themes: friendship, time travel, ingenuity, cooperation

M.

message 4: by Laurisa (new)

Laurisa Reyes (lwreyes) | 18 comments I have a bad habit of reading the first book in a series and not reading book 2. Book One's I've read recently include Inkheart, Ranger's Apprentice, Narnia, Spiderwick Chronicles and The Bartimeaus Trilogy. However, there is one series where I read every book because I liked it so much - The Shadow Children series by Margaret Petersen Haddix. I need to read more book 2's if I expect people to read my sequel coming out next year. lol!

message 5: by S.W. (new)

Laurisa wrote: "I have a bad habit of reading the first book in a series and not reading book 2. Book One's I've read recently include Inkheart, Ranger's Apprentice, Narnia, Spiderwick Chronicles and The Bartimeau..."

Sounds like you need to set aside a month to read some book 2s.

message 6: by Laurisa (new)

Laurisa Reyes (lwreyes) | 18 comments Yep. The first book two I'm reading is Shadows by Ilsa Bick (sequel to Ashes) but its not MG.

message 7: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Bulion I've just read A CROOKED KIND OF PERFECT by Linda Urban and loved it. It might tend more toward "tween." Looking forward to reading her new book HOUND DOG TRUE. Here's a link to the Kirkus review of my new middle grade novel, THE UNIVERSE OF FAIR.https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-re...
Here's to summer reads!

message 8: by Scott (new)

Scott Clements (scottclements) | 43 comments If you like a good, clean, treasure hunt adventure, check out Gasparilla's Treasure

Sorry, a bit of shameless self promotion :-) Can't help myself...

Gasparilla's Treasure by Scott Clements

message 9: by GAdawgs11 (new)

GAdawgs11 | 1 comments i loved the hunger games
i also loved the book stealing bases

i just love books

message 10: by Kristianne (new)

Kristianne (mamaswan) the typical pre-teens are reading (in order of observed popularity);

Maximum Ride series, Witch & Wizard series by Patterson
Hunger Games series by Collins
Eragon series by Paolini
Percy Jackson series, Heroes of Olympus series, Kane Chronicles series by Riordan
Diary of a Wimpy Kid series by Kinney
The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod Series by Brewer
Shiver series by Stiefvater
Dreamhouse Kings series by Liparulo
Incarceron series by Fisher
Gallagher Girls series by Carter
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Riggs
Inkheart series by Funke
Missing series, Shadow Children series by Haddix
The False Prince by Nielsen
Beautiful Creatures Series by Garcia
Riley Bloom series, Immortals series by Noel
Bartimaeus series by Stroud
Septimus Heap Series by Sage
Clockwork Prince series by Clare
Divergent by Roth
Legends by Lu
Fallen series by Kate

...and I recommend
Matched series by Condie
Paranormalcy series by White
Birthmarked series by O'Brien
Entwined by Dixon
Distant Waves by Wyen
Dark Souls by Morris

message 11: by Dani (new)

Dani (daniutter) | 2 comments Kristianne wrote: "the typical pre-teens are reading (in order of observed popularity);

Eragon series by Paolini
Percy Jackson s..."

GREAT list! thanks for putting it together! I recommended Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children to my 8th graders this year, and they loved it!
Another book that my kids (girls in particular) love is A Child Called It. It certainly isn't new, but it never fails, every year I have several girls who chekc it out of the library, read it and love it.

message 12: by L.S. (new)

L.S. Hullinger | 26 comments I've been wanting to read Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children and keep forgetting to add it to my list. Thanks for the reminder :-)

message 13: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Bulion I second that recommendation! I loved Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children.

message 14: by S.W. (new)

Kristianne wrote: "the typical pre-teens are reading (in order of observed popularity);

Eragon series by Paolini
Percy Jackson s..."

Thanks Kristianne, what a great list. There's plenty in there to keep me busy for a long while.

message 15: by Mike (new)

Mike Gasaway (00gasman00) | 6 comments Kristianne wrote: "the typical pre-teens are reading (in order of observed popularity);

Eragon series by Paolini
Percy Jackson s..."

AWESOME list. My 12 year old has read most of those but I need to forward that to her. Thanks a ton!

message 16: by S.W. (new)

Mike wrote: "Kristianne wrote: "the typical pre-teens are reading (in order of observed popularity);

Eragon series by Paol..."

Wow Mike, your daughter must be a reading machine to have read most of that list.

message 17: by Mike (new)

Mike Gasaway (00gasman00) | 6 comments She is. She can sit and go through a book pretty fast AND retain the knowledge. She scares me. I think she does it also because she is a writer and wants to learn more not just about stories but how to craft them.

message 18: by S.W. (new)

She should start her own blog and review some books.

message 19: by Kristianne (new)

Kristianne (mamaswan) That is awesome, Mike! My daughter has read about half the list but in the last year, she got into reading Manga and Anime with a club at school. Now I have set an ultimatum, LOL, for every Manga she reads, she has to read a 'real' book too. ;)

message 20: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Puddle (trishapuddle) | 4 comments Here is my Rascals Series. They come as paperbacks and also eBooks. This series is aimed at reluctant readers and is full of humour, however the stories are also gross and aimed to make children laugh. So far they've had five star reviews on Amazon.

Star-Crossed Rascals by Patricia Puddle Star-Crossed Rascals

Rascals Sing at The Opera House (Star-Crossed Rascals #2). by Patricia Puddle Rascals Sing at The Opera House (Star-Crossed Rascals #2).

message 21: by Mike (new)

Mike Gasaway (00gasman00) | 6 comments S.W. wrote: "She should start her own blog and review some books."
I may just encourage her to do that. She can't stay off her nook :)

message 22: by S.W. (last edited Jul 26, 2012 04:45PM) (new)

Mike wrote: "S.W. wrote: "She should start her own blog and review some books."
I may just encourage her to do that. She can't stay off her nook :)"

I've recently suggested the same thing to my son, and plan to post it on my blog if he does one. I'd be happy to post your daughter's if you want too. (no obligation, just a thought)

message 23: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Allen | 1 comments Laurisa wrote: "I have a bad habit of reading the first book in a series and not reading book 2. Book One's I've read recently include Inkheart, Ranger's Apprentice, Narnia, Spiderwick Chronicles and The Bartimeau..."

You might try reading further in Chronicles of Narnia. Book 3---Voyage of the Dawn Treader--was may favorite.

message 24: by LJ (new)

LJ (LJBoothe) | 16 comments Laurisa wrote: "I have a bad habit of reading the first book in a series and not reading book 2. Book One's I've read recently include Inkheart, Ranger's Apprentice, Narnia, Spiderwick Chronicles and The Bartimeau..."

AMEN! The Shadow Children series is my all-time favorite series, though the last few books might be considered YA?

message 25: by Krista (new)

Krista Breen (kristamichellebreen) | 46 comments Yes please encourage your kids to start a book blog! Much as I like and appreciate adult reviews, really the kid readers keep me going.

message 26: by L.S. (new)

L.S. Hullinger | 26 comments Krista wrote: "Yes please encourage your kids to start a book blog! Much as I like and appreciate adult reviews, really the kid readers keep me going."

I feel the same way! I love it when the target audience (middle grade) are able to give me feedback on what worked and didn't work for them with my books.
There is a site called Kindle Kids Corner and they allow kids to choose your books for reviews for school. Mine haven't been reviewed yet but I'm hoping with the paranormal theme maybe by Halloween some will choose mine.

message 27: by Lisa (last edited Jul 31, 2012 04:31PM) (new)

Lisa Orchard | 54 comments I've started a new series! It's called The Super Spies series and I've got two books out, "The Super Spies and the Cat Lady Killer" and "The Super Spies and the High School Bomber". They're realistic without being graphic and there is no swearing or questionable content in them. I would characterize them as edgy Nancy Drew. I would love to hear what you think! :)

Check them out here www.lisaorchard.com

message 28: by Sue (new)

Sue If you do start a kids blog, count my daughter in ! That would be amazing !!

message 29: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Ledwith | 23 comments Hey, I've started a mid-grade/YA time travel series with the debut of The Last Timekeepers and the Arch of Atlantis. You can check it out on my website:
www.sharonledwith.com

Cheers, all!

message 30: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Orchard | 54 comments Patricia wrote: "Here is my Rascals Series. They come as paperbacks and also eBooks. This series is aimed at reluctant readers and is full of humour, however the stories are also gross and aimed to make children la..."

Thanks for posting! I've got a first grader and he's not quite a reluctant reader, but I think he'd enjoy these books! Especially the gross part! :)

message 31: by Joseph (new)

Joseph Marro | 4 comments I have started a younger MG series called:
"Bastion Guardian of Covington"
If you like a "Disney style" adventure I welcome you to take a look. The reviews it received so far have been fantastic. Bastion Guardian of Covington

message 32: by Serena (new)

Serena Schreiber (serena_schreiber) S.W. wrote: "Mike wrote: "S.W. wrote: "She should start her own blog and review some books."

I've recently suggested the same thing to my s..."

Oh yes, it's all about the kids' reviews. Kids have said the most surprising things about my book, good and bad, cutting through all preconceptions of age and gender! Let's hear it for the middle graders!

message 33: by S.W. (new)

Serena wrote: "S.W. wrote: "Mike wrote: "S.W. wrote: "She should start her own blog and review some books."

I've recently suggested the same ..."

Sounds like there's some support for this kind of thing.
How does this sound, I'm prepared to publish book reviews by GMGR members' kids on my blog swlothian.wordpress.com . Maybe someone could suggest a rating scale that could be used (eg. stars, coconuts, apples, or whatever).
So if any members have kids who would like to give it a go please let me know.

message 34: by Krista (new)

Krista Breen (kristamichellebreen) | 46 comments I will gift Kindle editions to any kids that want to do reviews. No problem.

message 35: by Serena (last edited Aug 02, 2012 10:25PM) (new)

Serena Schreiber (serena_schreiber) Krista wrote: "I will gift Kindle editions to any kids that want to do reviews. No problem."

Great idea, Krista! I'd be happy to donate a Kindle or Nook edition for our middle grade reviewers. Count me and Finn in.

Finn's Ship (Finn's Travels, #1) by Serena Schreiber

message 36: by Serena (new)

Serena Schreiber (serena_schreiber) S.W. wrote: "Serena wrote: "S.W. wrote: "Mike wrote: "S.W. wrote: "She should start her own blog and review some books."

I've recently sugg..."

For the rating scale, maybe worms? as in bookworms?

message 37: by S.W. (new)

Krista wrote: "I will gift Kindle editions to any kids that want to do reviews. No problem."

Serena wrote: "Great idea, Krista! I'd be happy to donate a Kindle or Nook edition for our middle grade reviewers. Cou..."

Serena wrote: "For the rating scale, maybe worms? as in bookworms? "

Serena and Krista, I've set up a separate discussion for this so we can see what other members think of the idea.

message 38: by S.W. (new)

Sue wrote: "If you do start a kids blog, count my daughter in ! That would be amazing !!"

Hi Sue, I've set up a separate discussion for this topic to see how much interest we have for this in the group.
Cheers

message 39: by Joseph (new)

Joseph Marro | 4 comments Wow you have a fantastic Idea here! I will donate a Kindle Edition.

message 40: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Ledwith | 23 comments S.W. wrote: "Krista wrote: "I will gift Kindle editions to any kids that want to do reviews. No problem."

Serena wrote: "Great idea, Krista! I'd be happy to donate a Kindle or Nook edition for our middle grade..."

S.W. wrote: "Krista wrote: "I will gift Kindle editions to any kids that want to do reviews. No problem."

Serena wrote: "Great idea, Krista! I'd be happy to donate a Kindle or Nook edition for our middle grade..."

Count me in too! I'll also donate a Kindle or whatever format is required! This is totally a wicked-awesome idea!

message 41: by S.W. (new)

Hi all..... Any comments about kids reviewing books can be posted on the separate thread. So I can keep track of them all in the same place.
Cheers

message 42: by Sue (new)

Sue Sharon wrote: "S.W. wrote: "Krista wrote: "I will gift Kindle editions to any kids that want to do reviews. No problem."

Serena wrote: "Great idea, Krista! I'd be happy to donate a Kindle or Nook edition for our..."

My duaghter would love to read your book on her Nook.

message 43: by S.W. (last edited Aug 03, 2012 07:34AM) (new)

Sue wrote: "My duaghter would love to read your book on her Nook"

Hi Sue,
Could you please add your comment to the MG Reviews by Kids thread. I'd like to keep all of the related comments together. Once I know there is enough interest in the kids review concept I'll work on a way to get it started.
Cheers

message 44: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Orchard | 54 comments S.W. wrote: "Sue wrote: "My duaghter would love to read your book on her Nook"

Hi Sue,
Could you please add your comment to the MG Reviews by Kids thread. I'd like to keep all of the related comments together..."

Sue wrote: "Sharon wrote: "S.W. wrote: "Krista wrote: "I will gift Kindle editions to any kids that want to do reviews. No problem."

Serena wrote: "Great idea, Krista! I'd be happy to donate a Kindle or Nook ..."

Hi Sue, if you are interested in The Super Spies series I will gift you a copy for your Nook. I would just need to have an e-mail address to do that. :)

Lisa Orchard

message 45: by Mark (new)

Mark Harmon | 4 comments I am doing a series on fun interactive KF8 Kindle books that parents can use to have fun teaching their kids to read. If you are interested, here is one example:

Parents of Small Children Will Love This One.

Here is a short video that shows the latest state-of-the-art KF8 Fixed Formatting techniques being used to create this magical, interactive Kindle ebook that just might be the most fun a parent can ever have teaching their small child to spell the names of 145 of our favorite animals. Here is the video link:

http://bit.ly/SeeHappy2

This Kindle ebook is titled:

TAP-N-SPELL Kids Reading Fun - 145 Fun Animals - Kids Learn to Read and Spell Flashcard Ebooks With Happy the Clown!

This will be some of the greatest fun that you and your child have ever had while teaching your child to spell. Just tap on each of the 145 pictures of fun animals and the spelling of the animal's name will pop up along with a funny kids joke about that animal.

Each page will have amazing fun facts about the last animal on the page. You and your child will laugh all the way through this Kindle ebook while you teach your child to spell the names of each of the 145 fun animals and learn amazing facts about the animals as well.

message 46: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nmhdiver) | 8 comments I am a new author and would love everyone's feedback on my book, The Farmhouse Secret. It is going to be the first of four and is geared toward 4-8th grade, although some adults have read it and enjoyed it as well. I am hoping to be an accessible author in that I am open to dialogue with my readers regarding my books, the writing process or the publishing process. Is this something this club would be interested in? Thank you, Nicole Hardison

message 47: by D.R. (new)

D.R. (drmar120) | 6 comments My middle grade ghost adventure, Johnny Graphic and the Etheric Bomb, is now up as a paperback giveaway in the middle grade giveaways section here at Goodreads (for shipment in the U.S.). That's through 9-28. I'm also offering free e-copies to young reviewers in the new Reviews by Kids section here in Great Middle Grade reads.

message 48: by LJ (new)

LJ (LJBoothe) | 16 comments D.R. wrote: "My middle grade ghost adventure, Johnny Graphic and the Etheric Bomb, is now up as a paperback giveaway in the middle grade giveaways section here at Goodreads (for shipment in the U.S.). That's th..."

I must have missed something--how do we get to the give away?

message 49: by S.W. (new)

LJ wrote: "D.R. wrote: "My middle grade ghost adventure, Johnny Graphic and the Etheric Bomb, is now up as a paperback giveaway in the middle grade giveaways section here at Goodreads (for shipment in the U.S..."

Hi LJ....here's the link to the giveaway post that D.R. has mentioned......

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

Cheers

message 50: by LJ (new)

LJ (LJBoothe) | 16 comments Thank you. I found it and I entered the contest. It looks like a great book.

LJ

S.W. wrote: "LJ wrote: "D.R. wrote: "My middle grade ghost adventure, Johnny Graphic and the Etheric Bomb, is now up as a paperback giveaway in the middle grade giveaways section here at Goodreads (for shipment..."

« previous 1