Goodreads Feedback discussion

Bugs > HTML issue

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by jenjn79 (last edited Jan 09, 2009 02:39PM) (new)

jenjn79 | 521 comments I noticed an oddity today on a book's description...it had a first line that was bolded and italicized, then the rest was supposed to be normal print. However, the italics stopped after the first line, but the bold continued.

I checked the coding and it was correct.

After a little experimenting, I found a weird issue. If you don't close the tags in a certain order, some of the tags aren't ever closed.

For example:

(b)(i)Happily Ever After(/i)(/b)
The End

Would show up correctly with "Happily Ever After" bold and italic, and "The End" normal.

But if you did it:

(b)(i)Happily Ever After(/b)(/i)
The End

It shows "Happily Ever After" bold and italic, but "The End" also still bolded (no italics) when it shouldn't.

There seems to be a bug not allowing HTML closing tags to be read unless they are coded in a certain order. (It may be proper coding to close them that certain way, but it doesn't usually stop an HTML reader from interpreting it right anyway)

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael Economy (michaeleconomy) Tags that aren't properly nested are invalid html, not just 'proper coding'.

As long as you properly nest all your html tags, you should be fine!

message 3: by jenjn79 (new)

jenjn79 | 521 comments I understand that html tags should be closed according to how they were opened. My point was just that even if it's wrong, closing tags in an improper order still generally allows it to be read and displayed the way a person meant it to be. I even tested that out on a page on my website...closing the tags in the wrong order. And it displays fine. But it doesn't on GR anymore. The tags have to closed according to how they were opened. And yeah, sure, that's the way it should be done, but the fact of the matter is, most people don't know that. They just know that they need to close the tags they opened. They don't care what order.

I guess I'm just not understanding why this is suddenly an issue on GR when I don't remember it being one before.

message 4: by mlady_rebecca (new)

mlady_rebecca | 2048 comments I'm guessing GR moved to a more strict HTML standard.

A site that follows a strict standard will work for more browsers and platforms. Taking advantage of an error in a given browser just means you've limited your site to using that browser.

message 5: by Michael (new)

Michael Economy (michaeleconomy) I recoded that portion of the site recently to remove a few bugs and to make that code a bit faster.

We have to properly sanitize user input to prevent users from doing malicous things (like making the entire page underlined) and while it is theoretically possible to fix the case of (u)(i)text(/u)(/i) its very difficult to do in practice.

The old way we were doing it did allow you to do (u)(i)this(/u)(/i) but under certain cases it would allow you to leave open tags, and in certain cases make the entire page bold/italicized/etc.

message 6: by jenjn79 (new)

jenjn79 | 521 comments Michael, thank you for explaining the reasoning behind the change. I can understand why it was necessary to do something like that...though it does cause a problem similar to what you are trying to rectify. I've come across a number of places where the tags were closed in the wrong order and so one of the formats continues on.

Perhaps it would be helpful to add a note about this in the places that give information on using the html tags (like in reviews).

message 7: by Michael (new)

Michael Economy (michaeleconomy) I'll add a note in the next release. Thanks for the feedback!