YA Apocalyptic and Dystopian Fiction discussion

Archived > The reasons we love YA Apocalyptic and Dystopian Fiction

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Melissa (Asarelah) (thebibliophiliccat) | 22 comments Okay, here's the question: Why do you love YA Apocalyptic and Dystopian Fiction so much?

I'll start: I love this genre so much for many reasons! First of all, I love the world building that authors get to show us and the way they can totally transport us into that world if written well. I love being able to imagine all the problems with the society and think of 1. how it could relate back to our own world and 2. how would I fix it if I were the hero/heroine. I majored in Sociology so delving into fictitious societies is not only fun, but rewarding for evaluating our own society.

I also love the way the characters can grow throughout the book because of being thrust into impossible situations that we will most likely never experience (hopefully!). That is what makes characters so great!

Lastly, I love the idea of these heroes/heroines being young adults as it reminds me of how important the youth of the world are and that they are not to be overlooked.

So, what are your reasons??

message 2: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) I so agree with all of the above! I just like the idea of reading a book that feels more real than so many other books in the YA genre. While I love fantasy and paranormal, dystopian provides a nice change to the camps and angels and dwarves lol

message 3: by Katrina (new)

Katrina Welsh (katrinawelsh_) I think I like Dystopians because it has the perfect blend of everything I love about books and stories. The best dystopians have action, adventure, strong characters, unique plots, romance and at the same time, tackles societal questions that could be related to our own. It's just great, I think.

Melissa (Asarelah) (thebibliophiliccat) | 22 comments Katrina wrote: "I think I like Dystopians because it has the perfect blend of everything I love about books and stories. The best dystopians have action, adventure, strong characters, unique plots, romance and at ..."

I agree Katrina! And David, it is nice to read someone that feels more real, though I LOVE fantasy :)

message 5: by David (new)

David Litwack | 8 comments Dystopian settings can be liberating to an author, letting them invent an arbitrary opposing force to the main characters, without the constraints of realty. Why so popular among young adults? They're the ones just coming to terms with a world that’s not quite dystopian but more awful than the innocent visions of their childhood?

The basic dystopian plot is what makes all great stories appealing. An individual wanting more from life, discovering things are worse than they thought and finding the courage to confront a world gone awry.

Readers of dystopian novels aren’t dwelling on burnt out worlds. They’re fascinated by what people have wanted since time immemorial: To prod the system to test its limits and discover how to spread their wings and fly.

message 6: by Jack (new)

Jack (jack_) I love YA dystopian because it can always be tied in with othe rented such as romance, comedy and action. The characters are also very strong willed.