Historical American Presidents Discussion Group discussion

Immigration

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Drew (new)

Drew Spevak | 7 comments I know that Americans, historically, have had a love/hate relationship with immigration. Currently, Obama has provided what is labeled as a temporary solution. What make me curious is....

..that it is an election year.
..that Congress has been allegedly sitting on a bill that is supposed to be a longer term solution for immigration
..it establishs guidelines for the immigrants to follow, yet is being labeled as amnesty
..Glenn Beck/Rush Limbaugh still have any listeners left
..the immigration process is so stinking complicated, yet most Americans believe its easily achieved
..that people are complaining about having educated, schooling or military-based immigrants with no criminal background
..that they are allegedly going to be job-stealing

I have all of these thoughts about what is the agenda here....part of this, I sense, is politically motivated. Obama could use the, most likely, Democratic support traditionally offered by the immigrant-oriented. The GOP potentially sabotaging even some progress shown by Obama, in the face of the election. I would be interested in knowing the real GOP stance on immigration. I don't think the Boehner/Cantor 'let's wait and see' approach doesn't tell me anything...

Anyway, anyone have any thoughts? I want to kick this around academically....although I would admit that I find any pointed media personalities annoying (that includes MSNBC, in case someone was thinking of accusing me of being liberal.

-D

message 2: by Arminius (new)

Arminius | 72 comments Mod
Ronald Reagan's Immigration policy:

The Immigration Reform and Control Act (IRCA), Pub.L. 99-603, 100 Stat. 3359, enacted November 6, 1986, also Simpson-Mazzoli Act, is an Act of Congress which reformed United States immigration law.

In brief the act:[1]

required employers to attest to their employees' immigration status.
made it illegal to knowingly hire or recruit unauthorized immigrants.
granted amnesty to certain seasonal agricultural illegal immigrants.
granted amnesty to illegal immigrants who entered the United States before January 1, 1982 and had resided there continuously.

message 3: by Arminius (new)

Arminius | 72 comments Mod
Theodore Roosevelt's view:

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language. And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.'