Christian Fiction Bloggers discussion

Archives > Historical Romance

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new)

Melanie (lovebeingvegan) | 9751 comments Mod
What are some of your favorite Christian historical romance books? Please share!

message 2: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (lizr8900) | 318 comments A Voice in the Wind and An Echo in the Darkness were amazing! I was so in love with Marcus and Hadassah that I haven't picked up As Sure As the Dawn yet but I've heard it's just as good as the first two.

message 3: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new)

Those are by Francine Rivers, right? I haven't read them, but I should probably check them out. :) I think I've only read one of her books - Atonement Child - it was great. :)

message 4: by Rel (new)

Rel (relz) | 4 comments Great books, Elizabeth :)

Here's some more recent ones you might enjoy:

Laura Frantz's The Colonel's Lady, Courting Morrow Little and The Frontiersman's Daughter

Jody Hedlund's The Doctor's Lady and The Preacher's Bride

Susan May Warren's Heiress and Baroness

Sarah Sundin's Wings of Glory series

I could go on!

message 5: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new)

Loved "The Colonel's Lady", "Heiress", and "Baroness"! Haven't read the others...

message 6: by Rel (new)

Rel (relz) | 4 comments I highly recommend Jody's books, Melanie :) Similar in style to Laura's books - fabulous historical detail along with the romance.

message 7: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (lizr8900) | 318 comments I just got the Colonel's Lady in the mail today! I'm so excited to start it, I've heard really good things about it. I also downloaded The Frontiersman's Daughter, The Doctor's Lady and The Preacher's Bride a while back and haven't read them yet.

If anyone hasn't read A Tailor-Made Bride, Head in the Clouds, To Win Her Heart and Short-Straw Bride by Karen Witemeyer they were all excellent as well.

message 8: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (lizr8900) | 318 comments Melanie wrote: "Those are by Francine Rivers, right? I haven't read them, but I should probably check them out. :) I think I've only read one of her books - Atonement Child - it was great. :)"

You absolutely should! I haven't read any of her other books yet but I'll have to check out The Atonement Child. I think it was just released with a beautiful new cover and that's a wonderful excuse to buy it =>

message 9: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (lizr8900) | 318 comments Rel wrote: "Great books, Elizabeth :)

Here's some more recent ones you might enjoy:

Laura Frantz's The Colonel's Lady, Courting Morrow Little and The Frontiersman's Daughter

Jody Hedlund's The Doctor's La..."

I recently got Baroness now I just have to track down Heiress so I can get started.

message 10: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new)

Elizabeth wrote: "I just got the Colonel's Lady in the mail today! I'm so excited to start it, I've heard really good things about it. I also downloaded The Frontiersman's Daughter, The Doctor's Lady and The Preache..."

I've heard SO many GREAT things about Karen's books, but haven't read any of them. :( Will have to, though! :)

message 11: by Rel (new)

Rel (relz) | 4 comments Melanie wrote: "Elizabeth wrote: "I just got the Colonel's Lady in the mail today! I'm so excited to start it, I've heard really good things about it. I also downloaded The Frontiersman's Daughter, The Doctor's La..."

I agree - Karen's books are fabulous :)

message 12: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (baseballblondie) | 1180 comments Favorite Historicals huh?

Lori Wick - My all time favorite series of hers is the Californians (Whatever Tomorrow Brings, As Time Goes By, Sean Donovan, & Dononvan's Daughter)

Mary Connealy - Out of Control, In Too Deep

Julie Lessman - Passion Most Pure and the rest of hers.

Karen Witemeyer - Tailor-Made Bride, Head in the Clouds, To Win Her Heart, Short Straw Bride

Jody Hedlund - Preacher's Bride, Doctor's Lady

My favorite of Tracie Peterson is Across the Years

Lynn Austin - Eve's Daughters (it's my favorite of hers)

Janette Oke - Love Comes Softly Series, Canadian West Series, Prairie Legacy Series, Woman Named Damaris, Roses for Mama (and so many more)

Liz Curtis Higgs - Here Burns My Candle, Mine is the Night, Thorn in My Heart, Fair is the Rose, Whence Came a Prince, Grace in Thine Eyes

Linda Windsor - Maire, Riona, Deidre, Healer, Thief, and new one Rebel

And I can keep going and going and going like the Energizer bunny.

message 13: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new)

Dawn wrote: "Favorite Historicals huh?

Lori Wick - My all time favorite series of hers is the Californians (Whatever Tomorrow Brings, As Time Goes By, Sean Donovan, & Dononvan's Daughter)

Mary Connealy - Out ..."

Great list! I absolutely loved Out of Control and In Too Deep by Mary Connealy - they are favorites of mine! I plan on reading A Passion Most Pure this summer (hopefully).

message 14: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (lizr8900) | 318 comments Melanie wrote: "Dawn wrote: "Favorite Historicals huh?

Mary Co..."

Julie Lessman is great and A Passion Most Pure is Still my favorite of hers! It's really an AMAZING book!

message 15: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new)

Elizabeth wrote: "Melanie wrote: "Dawn wrote: "Favorite Historicals huh?

Lori Wick - My all time favorite series of hers is the Californians (Whatever Tomorrow Brings, As Time Goes By, Sean Donovan, & Dononvan's Da..."

I've heard it is great - glad you loved it! :) I hope I enjoy it when I read it! :)

message 16: by Cathy (new)

Cathy Elizabeth wrote: "I just got the Colonel's Lady in the mail today! I'm so excited to start it, I've heard really good things about it. I also downloaded The Frontiersman's Daughter, The Doctor's Lady and The Preache..."

Elizabeth wrote: "I just got the Colonel's Lady in the mail today! I'm so excited to start it, I've heard really good things about it. I also downloaded The Frontiersman's Daughter, The Doctor's Lady and The Preache..."

I love Karen Witemeyer's books! I can't wait to start Short-Straw Bride!

I also love any historical fiction by Siri Mitchell, Liz Curtis Higgs, Francine Rivers, Laura Frantz, Tracy Higley, Nancy Moser, Deeanne Gist, Julie Klassen...they are all fantastic historical fiction writers! I always look forward to their next book. :)

message 17: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) Elizabeth wrote: "I just got the Colonel's Lady in the mail today! I'm so excited to start it, I've heard really good things about it. I also downloaded The Frontiersman's Daughter, The Doctor's Lady and The Preache..."

I have read A Tailor-Made Bride and I have recently purchased the other 3. I really enjoyed it! It was the first book that I read as historical romance Christian fiction!

message 18: by Karen (new)

Karen Witemeyer | 7 comments Diane and any other interested parties - For those of you who have read A Tailor-Made Bride, there is a deleted epilogue on my website that you might enjoy. It gives a little more closure to Jericho and Hannah's story. I love lingering over the happy endings and had fun with this one. It didn't make it into the final book, but I saved it for anyone who would like to read it. You can find the link under "Bonus Material" on my books page.

http://www.karenwitemeyer.com/books.html

Enjoy!

message 19: by Abbi (new)

Abbi Karen wrote: "Diane and any other interested parties - For those of you who have read A Tailor-Made Bride, there is a deleted epilogue on my website that you might enjoy. It gives a little more closure to Jerich..."

That was awesome! Thank you so much! I have loved every bit of your books and this was no exception. Keep up the good work-please!-I can't wait for Crockett's story!

message 20: by Karen (new)

Karen Witemeyer | 7 comments Abbi wrote: "Karen wrote: "Diane and any other interested parties - For those of you who have read A Tailor-Made Bride, there is a deleted epilogue on my website that you might enjoy. It gives a little more clo..."

So glad you enjoyed it, Abbi!

message 21: by Diana (new)

Diana (dianalesirebrandmeyer) | 25 comments I'm loving the list of books. Tailor-Made Bride was a good one, Karen!

If any of you have time I'm doing a giveaway of my book A Bride's Dilemma in Friendship, Tennessee on Penny Zeller's Blog
http://pennyzeller.wordpress.com/2012...

short link
http://wp.me/px01z-WA

message 22: by Diana (new)

Diana (dianalesirebrandmeyer) | 25 comments Cathy wrote: "Elizabeth wrote: "I just got the Colonel's Lady in the mail today! I'm so excited to start it, I've heard really good things about it. I also downloaded The Frontiersman's Daughter, The Doctor's La..."

Short-Straw Bride is her best book ever!!!! I had to keep reading until the end.

message 23: by Diana (new)

Diana (dianalesirebrandmeyer) | 25 comments Melanie wrote: "Dawn wrote: "Favorite Historicals huh?

Mary Co..."

Oh Yeah! Mare Connealy is such a fun writer to read.

message 24: by L (new)

L These two books by the same author, book 1 'the pillars of the earth' and book 2 'world without end' the sequel do incorperate religion in the dark ages which may or may not be to your taste. Covering quite raw topics these two novels display the beliefs of those at the time, within a backdrop of the greatest cathedral ever built. From nuns to monks, to lords, warriors and archbishops this is an era of change, of rivalry, bloodlust, intregue and seductions. It is a time of great conflict as those indaviduals with dreams and ambition push forwards, knocking others out of their way. When i first read Pillars of the Earth i did not think that i would like it that much, as it is quite gory, explicit and strait talking- Ken Follett says things as they are. I was therefore extremely shocked when i found that i loved it and how increadible his writing actually is. Other than Lord of the Rings these two books are at the top of my list of 'greatest works of fiction ever written'.

The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett
World Without End (The Pillars of the Earth, #2) by Ken Follett

message 25: by Aerykah (last edited Sep 25, 2012 08:30AM) (new)

Aerykah | 1404 comments Melanie wrote: "What are some of your favorite Christian historical romance books? Please share!"

Oh gosh! My favorite genre! :D

Ekaterina (Heirs of Anton, #1) by Susan K. Downs Nadia (Heirs of Anton, #2) by Susan K. Downs Marina (Heirs of Anton, #3) by Susan K. Downs Oksana (Heirs of Anton, #4) by Susan K. Downs by Susan K. Downs & Susan May Warren
Candle in the Darkness (Refiners Fire #1) by Lynn Austin Fire by Night (Refiners Fire #2) by Lynn Austin A Light to My Path (Refiners Fire #3) by Lynn Austin by Lynn Austin
To Win Her Heart by Karen Witemeyer Short-Straw Bride by Karen Witemeyer by Karen Witemeyer (All of Karen's, really, but these 2 are my fav)
Petticoat Ranch (Lassoed in Texas #1) by Mary Connealy Calico Canyon (Lassoed in Texas #2) by Mary Connealy Out of Control (The Kincaid Brides, #1) by Mary Connealy by Mary Connealy
The Silver Sword (The Heirs of Cahira O'Connor , No 1) by Angela Elwell Hunt The Golden Cross by Angela Elwell Hunt The Velvet Shadow (The Heirs of Cahira O'Connor, #3) by Angela Elwell Hunt The Emerald Isle (Heirs of Cahira O'Connor) (Book 4) by Angela Elwell Hunt by Angela Elwell Hunt
A Lady of High Regard (Ladies of Liberty, #1) by Tracie Peterson A Lady of Hidden Intent (Ladies of Liberty, #2) by Tracie Peterson A Lady of Secret Devotion (Ladies of Liberty, #3) by Tracie Peterson Brides of Gallatin County Boxed Set The Complete Series A Promise to Believe In/A Love to Last Forever/A Dream to Call My Own by Tracie Peterson by Tracie Peterson
Fancy Pants (Texas Historical Series, #1) by Cathy Marie Hake Forevermore (Texas Historical Series, #2) by Cathy Marie Hake by Cathy Marie Hake
Books by Bodie Thoene & Brock Thoene

And SO MANY MORE!! But I'll stop now... ;)

message 26: by Diana (new)

Diana (dianalesirebrandmeyer) | 25 comments Those are some of my favorites but I have to add Tamera Alexander and Tamara Leigh! Both of them have new books coming out. I can't wait!
Diana

message 27: by Diana (new)

Diana (dianalesirebrandmeyer) | 25 comments I just started reading Love's Reckoning by Laura Franz. I can tell it's going to be winner.
Diana

message 28: by Salyna (new)

Salyna | 55 comments @Diana I finished reading that book a little over a week ago! So good! I wrote a review on it in my blog: http://kissedbooks.blogspot.com/

message 29: by Diana (new)

Diana (dianalesirebrandmeyer) | 25 comments Salyna wrote: "@Diana I finished reading that book a little over a week ago! So good! I wrote a review on it in my blog: http://kissedbooks.blogspot.com/"
I loved that book. Laura Franz is one of my favortite writers. I did read the book but didn't review it. Not sure why...lack of time?

I love your site! Nice job with the reviews. If you ever want to review my books let me know. :) Oh I'm tweeting your blog post.
Diana

message 30: by Naomi (new)

Naomi Musch (naomimusch) | 7 comments You people are after my heart. It beats historicals.