The Help The Help question

Book Club Recommendation
Kyrie Taylor Kyrie Jun 15, 2012 03:40PM
Can some people please recommend a book for my book club to read? We are currently rereading The Help for lack of a choice. This is a book club with a lot of members from my church so the content needs to be mostly clean. Thank you!

Vivian (last edited Aug 02, 2012 06:00PM ) Jul 25, 2012 12:21AM   0 votes
Author:Sue Harrison - The Ivory Carver Trilogy , or the Storyteller Trilogy. Great books ,clean,interesting, different,very great reads !
A book I recently read would be a very great read for your church book club, The Pirate and The Puritan by Mary Clayton.It's a clean(no sex) well written story with wonderful characters.It was a really fun read.Great plot twists and adventure.Also The Shack by W. Paul Young.

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Water for Elephants is also a good book. The story is basicly a love story but the secondary story is also great. i really liked it. I also loved the movie.

Bookishnymph *needs hea* (last edited Aug 15, 2012 09:22AM ) Aug 13, 2012 08:39PM   0 votes
Kyrie wrote: "Can some people please recommend a book for my book club to read? We are currently rereading The Help for lack of a choice. This is a book club with a lot of members from my church so the content n..."

Saving CeeCee Honeycutt by Beth Hoffman and Nefertiti by Michelle Moran would both be good club books.

Oh, I thought of another good book club read, The Weird Sisters by Eleanor Brown. :)

if you can cope with amazing writing but controversial and thought provoking matter i cant rate the room by emma donoghue enough , it had me thinking about it for weeks afterwards
for pure fun i would go with
miss pettigrew lives for the day , miss hargreaves ( sorry cant remember authors name ) or any of the mapp and lucia books which are all amazing

Maybe your bookclub would like to read a true story about a young southern girl that was married to a commercial fisherman. She and the children went through a lot of hard times. Story took place mostly in the 1950's through the 1970's. This is a clean book, has only one bad word in the whole book. "Memories of a Fisherman's Wife" by Alma Jean Irving.

I suggest The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. It's a very thought-provoking read.

It might be nice to read a throw back like "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn". Our book club did this one a couple of years ago and it lead to a great discussion about how times have changed but some fundamental things never do.

Kyrie wrote: "Can some people please recommend a book for my book club to read? We are currently rereading The Help for lack of a choice. This is a book club with a lot of members from my church so the content n..."

I would suggest "I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings" by Maya Angelou. It is a beautifully written book. But it does have two chapters where she is raped as a child. If you are uncomfortable with that then I would suggest "To Kill A Mockingbird". I think that these would be good supplements to "The Help".

Hi Kyrie - I am in a book club and composed of about 50% of people from my church. Other than The Help, some of the books most widely enjoyed by our book club so far have been 'Secret Life of Bees' and 'The Thirteenth Tale'. We are currently reading 'One Day' so Im looking forward to some interesting discussions. Please let us know what you decide - it may inspire us with our future choices. Enjoy!

A relatively new author, Alex Sheridan has a new book 'Finding Round' up on Amazon.com that would work well for you. It is all about a family and the trials and tribulations they are going through in their marriage and in raising their children. It is all about how much the couple loves ones another but are struggling in their marriage due to his job taking him away from home for the past 18 yrs. He loves his work and feels he's making a huge contribution, though he truly doesn't like being away from his family during the work week. Their teenage son removes a sphere from a mine and takes it home w/him, which creates all kinds of serious consequences and causes his sister to become very ill, but doctors are having great difficulty diagnosing the reason for her illness. It is a truly wonderful book, and one that keeps a person turning pages to learn what happens to the characters, and whether the couple is going to be able to save their marriage.

Cleopatra: A Life by Stacey Schiff. It's academic, not fiction, but it's very engrossing and readable. Check it out!

Cisco Thank you.
Jul 08, 2012 02:55PM · flag

Does your book club like memoirs? "Three Weeks With my Brother" ~Nicholas and Micah Sparks~, believe me Nicholas Sparks had a very interesting childhood. "The Glass Castle" ~Jeannette Walls~, also a memoir. "A Dogs Purpose" ` W. Bruce Cameron~ a novel, you don't have to be a dog person to love this book. Happy reading!

i don't know if u have already read where the read fern grows but i ay that.... that or the thief lord

Has your book club read Anne Patchett's "State of Wonder"? This is a wonderful book that sparks a lot of discussion as evidenced by the comments on Goodreads.

"Modoc:The True Story of the Greatest Elephant That Ever Lived" by Ralph Helfer is great. "For One More Day" by Mitch Albom is good. Also "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Pie Society" by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows is a good read, also. My book club that I attend is all people from my church.

The Giver by Louis Lowry is a really good book
If you are looking for something like The Help then read Roll of Thunder Hear my Cry

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows is a really good choice.

To Kill a Mockingbird by Lee Harper.
Great Village by Mary Rose Donnelly.
Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden.

Hope this helps.

Michelle Still Alice by Lisa Genova would be a good book for discussion and it is an interesting read.
Jul 14, 2012 09:47AM · flag

"The Bonesetter's Daughter" by Amy Tan, good exploration of family/culture/prejudices, also "Burmese Days" by George Orwell, complicated/multi-dimensional characters caught in a moment in history.

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

The Book Thief (other topics)
The Help (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Markus Zusak (other topics)