Beyond Reality discussion

SERIES—List & Discussions > Honor Harrington--AT ALL COSTS -SPOILER DISCUSSION

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) A place to discusss the book and use spoilers.

message 2: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 98 comments I don't know how everyone else has felt about this book, but I'm enjoying it. I think the war strategies on both sides make sense and are interesting. I am also feeling much more accepting of the Honor/Hamish/Emily thing. I really hated it at first, but I like the fact that the three of them seem to be acting like adults, and I like that Emily is so involved.

message 3: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) I thought Weber did the whole paparazzi/news hound thing well. It was just as disgusting here as it is in real life.

message 4: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Kathi | 3107 comments Mod
Finished last night...
Here are my thoughts:
This was a satisfying read on many levels... Honor's personal life, big developments in the Republic of Haven and Kingdom of Manticore conflict (both diplomatically and militarily), and the bringing in of the various side-book story lines.

Honor's personal life: I am very glad that Honor's affair of the heart with Hamish has been resolved. I do see Emily and Honor as amazingly mature women in terms of the solution, and it's odd that the ultimate solution was not their idea at all. Hamish just seems to be along for the ride (and the siring of children). I still don't understand the deep connection Honor feels with him--that's one thing that Weber has not made "real" for me.

Diplomacy between Haven & Manticore: ARGHHH!! Between Queen Elizabeth's inability to see past her (justifiable) rage and resentment and the Havenites' inability to manage their diplomacy without interference... well, it was heartbreaking to see the possibility of peace so thoroughly derailed.

The military conflict: Yikes! The body count, especially of the last engagement, was appalling. Will it make a difference in finally bringing about a ceasefire and a possibility of peace? I will say that Weber has evened the balance and so the battles are somewhat more interesting, although I confess I still skim over the parts about how far and how fast different missiles can fly. I get the gist of what each thing can do (the Katanas, the Apollos, etc.) but I ignore the "specs" and the details. The results are clear enough.

I tried to find out how many more books Weber expects to write in this series. I think I'd like to see it wrap up fairly soon, although the pullers of strings (mostly behind the scenes) need to be discovered and defeated, too.

message 5: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 98 comments Kathi - those are great comments! I agreed with all of them, and wow - you are right - it was so frustrating to see the peace efforts just fall apart, when people on both sides were seeking it.

message 6: by Marty (new)

Marty (martyjm) | 310 comments Finally finished. I am still dismayed by the personal life.
I think Weber writes much more interesting and believable characters on the Haven side mostly. McKeon never feels like a real person to me for instance while Pritchart does.
Also the way he treats the tree cats as "cute", and like teddy bears these warriors are all reaching for, while at the same time expecting us to take them seriously as an intelligent species hits me wrong.
I still enjoy enough but do hope it is drawing to an end.

message 7: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Kathi | 3107 comments Mod
Marty, I have to agree with your comments about the treecats. And yet I keep reminding myself about their bonding with humans and the depth of that bonding, which really adds an emotional aspect to their relationship with their human partners (and carries over, somewhat, to their relationships with all humans who are open/accepting of them). That bond seems to be strengthened by physical contact.

message 8: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 626 comments I finished this yesterday. I skimmed quite a bit. I like math, but spare me. I prefer the characters to the stats.

message 9: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 626 comments Something's been bugging me for several days now. Why would Shannon name her new toy after the 'evil' character in Sherlock Holmes? The Havenites would not see themselves as evil so why associate themselves with it?

Is this, perhaps, the author and/or the Manticoran point-of-view being telegraphed?

message 10: by Carl (new)

Carl Bussema I'm sure you could find a whole group dedicated to discussing whether Moriarty was evil or just misguided/misunderstood. At any rate, he was brilliant and cunning, and a technology that is designed to be sneaky is a reasonable fit.