Crow Lake Crow Lake discussion

Almost finished Crow Lake, by Mary Lawson

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Paul Lima I've almost finished Crow Lake, by Mary Lawson. I love the book and am 20 pages from the end. Just letting all that has transpired settle (there were many tears, of joy oddly enough) before making the mad dash to the finish. Strong narrative voice. Teasing foreshadowing, without giving away the details. Lovely flow and strong characters you care about in a meaningful situation. Looking forward to the finishing the book; not looking forward to the read to be over.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I loved it too, Paul and it stays with you long after you've finished. I would also highly recommend 'The Other Side of the Bridge' if you haven't already read it. It's a shame she hasn't written any more.

Paul Lima Thanks for the recommendation. Some authors are darn good. Some are darn prolific. And a few are darn good and darn prolific!

Ellen I read Crow Lake years ago, and I still remember sitting on my sofa, crying, when it was over. I'm pretty sure the crying was just as much due to the fact that the book had ended, as due to the story line. I would also highy recommend "The Other Side of the Bridge"

message 5: by Maisie (last edited Jun 24, 2012 03:05PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Maisie I loved both of these books and wish Mary Lawson would write more. Guess quality wins over quantity. I thought her language was lyrical and the story stays with you.

Paul Lima I too was all weepy - probably through the last dozen or so pages of Crow Lake. I wanted more, but knew it had to end where it ended. I was being selfish! :-)

message 7: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 26, 2012 09:39AM) (new)

Yes! I loved this book, found it by accident via an amazon thingy. Am going to try 'The way the crow flies' by Ann-Marie MacDonald later. '(Other side...' ok, but preferred 'Crow...').

Any more Canadian writers anyone? (Not Margaret Atwood).

Best wishes all.

Paul Lima I have a collection of short stories, "Rebel in the Back Seat"! But if you are looking for a good read ... I've always enjoyed the dearly departed Paul Quarrington's quirky sense of humour. If you haven't read any Robertson Davies, start with Fifth Business. Great read. Also, I'd suggest Timothy Findley's The Wars.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Paul wrote: "I have a collection of short stories, "Rebel in the Back Seat"! But if you are looking for a good read ... I've always enjoyed the dearly departed Paul Quarrington's quirky sense of humour. If you ..."

You are a writer? I will look you up! :))
Thanks for this recommendation.

Dianne Hosking Try Alice Munro, a Canadian writer of short stories, won the International Booker prize in 2012

message 11: by Paul (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paul Lima Jill wrote: "You are a writer? I will look you up! :))"

I am a freelancer writer, I confess -- articles and corporate work. But I've always written short stories and put a collection together an self-published it. I also have a dozen non-fiction books to my credit, on business writing and the business of freelance writing. "Rebel in the Back Seat" is my only work of fiction. I'm biased, very biased, but I feel the stories work and the book makes for a solid and entertaining read.

message 12: by Faye (new) - rated it 5 stars

Faye Love this book! Found this by mistake, sounded interesting and loved it. I would like to read more of this author.

message 13: by Paul (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paul Lima She only has one other book out, I believe: The Other Side of the Bridge. Haven't read it but have heard very good things about it.

Joanne I recently read Crow Lake. I found it repetitive and poorly written. Hearing about the old neighbor lady's noisy teeth over and over again, for example.

Michele One of my favorite as was The other Side of the bridge

message 16: by Paul (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paul Lima I haven't read 'The other Side of the bridge' yet, but really liked 'crow lake'.

Ellen Mary Lawson has a new book Road Ends just out this year. Another great read!

Biblionorth Ellen wrote: "Mary Lawson has a new book Road Ends just out this year. Another great read!"

True.

Debra I must have been in a different sort of mood because I rated it a so-so book. The relationships among the people were interesting but left me waiting for tragedy after every page. I'm glad I read the book and will probably read it again based on the reviews of others.

message 20: by Sam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sam McColl Love Mary Lawson's work, savoured every word.

Sam McColl

message 22: by Faye (new) - rated it 5 stars

Faye read Crow Lake years ago. it is a book that has stuck in my mind. good read.

Biblionorth Dianne wrote: "Try Alice Munro, a Canadian writer of short stories, won the International Booker prize in 2012"

She won the international Booker in 2009, and Nobel 2013

Jacqueline Carpenter I loved this book too !!