Moonlight Mile (Kenzie & Gennaro,#6) Moonlight Mile question

Angie as a computer whiz?
Vinaya Vinaya Jun 15, 2012 01:52PM
Angie is now a computer whiz and yet in Sacred she was computer-illiterate. I know at least 12 years have passed but this plot point irks me.

I started "Gone Baby Gone" and could not get through it. I hated them both. And I thought the writing was well beneath some of Lehane's other books (Mystic River, Shutter Island). I read "Moonlight Mile" because it fit my book group's criteria for the month and it was the only one of its kind in the house I hadn't already read - "books with a blue cover." Anyway, I read it and, for the most part, liked it. The writing, in spots, was a little...I don't quite know what. It irritated me, just like "Gone Baby Gone." They're both just too quick and clever to be believable. But the story was good, overall.

deleted user I suppose if believability is your criteria of quality, then surely Lehane's entire oeuvre fails. ...more
Aug 03, 2012 10:44PM

I loved the Kenzie/Gennarro series, have read them all several times. But I was highly disappointed in this one. I got the feeling every one was pressuring Lehane to write another K & G book, so he cranked this one out just to get them off his back.
I want to know why, too, he dumped them after 5 books and never went back to them until this one. I think he could have had a very successful career just with them.
But I think Mystic River was one of the best books I've ever read. And infinitely better than the movie. Gone, Baby, Gone, the movie, while following the book fairly closely, didn't work for me because the actors didn't fit my mental image of the main characters.

deleted member Jun 16, 2012 01:11AM   0 votes
Why can't somebody learn how to use a computer in twelve years? Seems acceptable to me.

Well, Angie always struck me as the type of person who wouldn't be able to tolerate being incompetent at anything, so I could see her having decided to become a computer whiz in the past 12 years.

I agree that this wasn't the best book, but I thought it was a nice send-off for Angie and Patrick. I was satisfied.