The Sword and Laser discussion

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Walrus (new)

Walrus | 80 comments I read a Post Apocolyptic book called Babylon AD that has nothing to do with the movie of the same name.

It was assigned reading in Sophmore High School English. Maybe I have the name wrong.

Is anyone else familiar with this book? I read it circa 1986.

message 2: by Richard (new)

Richard | 221 comments A quick google suggests Alas, Babylon.

message 3: by Walrus (new)

Walrus | 80 comments +Richard, did you know that Google makes over 500 changes a year to its search engine?

After I searched 3 times and didn't find the answer, they may have changed it so that you were able to find the answer quickly.

Or your search skills are better than mine, or were your fingers and hands broke? Are you that lazy that you have to point out how much lazier you are?

Your comment comes across to me as someone who doesn't like to volunteer to help, but would rather get everyone else to use Google, so you wouldn't have to do anything, such as treat somebody as better than your self.

Here is a challenge tell me what Bible verse the italicized words are from, in the above paragraph.

Here are some helps: 1. Its in a Pauline Epistle
2. Translation used NIV 1984
3. http://www.biblegateway.com

message 4: by Sharon (new)

Sharon | 1 comments I was also going to suggest that you might be looking for the book _Alas, Babylon_ by Pat Frank. It is considered a classic and is on a lot of high school reading lists. And, as someone who loves the post-apocolyptic genre, I would say it is one of my favorite books. I've read it multiple times (including once out-loud w/my husband).

message 5: by Richard (new)

Richard | 221 comments If I didn't want to volunteer help, I wouldn't have bothered trying a google search myself, I would have just ignored the question, as I had no idea what you were talking about. I know google can be frustrating at times, either returning a gazillion links to wade through or none at all when looking for something very specific, but taking it out on me is not going to encourage me to help you in the future.

If this was the book you were looking for (something you have not yet addressed), than I was helpful. If not, say so & we can try to find other suggestions for you.

For the record, I searched for "post apocalyptic books" the top results for which were basically various top ten lists, & the book suggested was somewhere in the middle of Amazon's list. I took a brief look at the description & it looked like something that would have made it onto a school reading list. If that hadn't worked, I would have added "babylon" to the search to try to get a better result. If that had given me nothing, I would not have replied at all.

Joe Informatico (joeinformatico) | 888 comments After thoroughly perusing the Global Books in Print database, Richard and Sharon might be correct. There are no title results for "Babylon A.D." or "Babylon AD". Whereas not only are there are several editions of Alas, Babylon (most still in print), there are also several study guides and handbooks for teachers for it, suggesting it's a common addition to school curricula.