Vaginal Fantasy Book Club discussion

Tangents/Off-Topic Discussions > Online course on Fantasy and Science Fiction (free)

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 72 comments I found this orignally on the Sword and Laser forum and though I know a lot of us are members there too, I thought it might be of interest for this group as well.

Coursera is offering a free course this summer, called "Fantasy and Science Fiction: The Human Mind, Our Modern World"

It's online, free and accessible to anyone over 18. The original poster on S&L has taken one of their online courses before and said she was impressed by it. I thought it sounds very interesting and I signed up for it. You can find more information and/or sign up here: https://www.coursera.org/#course/fant...

message 2: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 493 comments Mod
I signed up for it! I'm also taking a Sociology course through them right now, this is the first week so I don't have too much of an opinion yet but it seems like it should be an interesting experience.

If anyone else is taking it I'd love to have a thread we could discuss on (my sociology course has 30,000 people so discussions there move crazy fast) and maybe even set up some hangouts to discuss?

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 68 comments I just signed up. :)

message 4: by Kim (new)

Kim Peek | 9 comments Patricia wrote: "I found this orignally on the Sword and Laser forum and though I know a lot of us are members there too, I thought it might be of interest for this group as well.

Coursera is offering a free cour..."

Thanks for the information Patricia, I just signed up also.

message 5: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 72 comments Vicky wrote: "I signed up for it! I'm also taking a Sociology course through them right now, this is the first week so I don't have too much of an opinion yet but it seems like it should be an interesting experi..."

I'm definitely in favor of a thread once it starts. Hangouts sound great too, though I probably wouldn't be able to join in there (no cam, no mic, I feel like I'm from the stone age ;))

Btw, isn't it amazing how the internet enables us to 'take a class' with thousands of others from all over the world? Plus it kind of makes me happy to see so many people eager to learn. I signed up for a number of other courses, have a few more on my wishlist for a later time but I feel oddly excited and motivated.

message 6: by Seawood (new)

Seawood I'm in :) I wonder if it might be worth a joint group with the folks from S&L? There are at least a few of us in both groups so we'd perhaps end up repeating ourselves at least a bit.

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 89 comments Just signed up! I wouldn't mind setting up a separate group for the class here on goodreads, just so we don't hijack the VF forums with non-club related stuff too much.

message 8: by Jeffery (new)

Jeffery Sargent (thesarge) | 169 comments I'm down with it...just signed up. Currently already taking online classes through Devry...

message 9: by Vicky (last edited Jun 16, 2012 07:00PM) (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 493 comments Mod
I agree with having a separate group so we don't cross post or hijack... so I made one! Link is below and I'm going to post this in the S&L thread.

http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/7...

message 10: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (nanceebee) | 56 comments I never knew about this site, how awesome! I've been out of school for while, and I kinda miss it so without super heavy course loads, and still learning sounds fun..

Might sign up, got to check summer plans first!

message 11: by Seawood (new)

Seawood Thanks Vicky! :)

message 12: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 72 comments Joined the new group :) Thanks for setting it up Vicky!

message 13: by Laura (new)

Laura (lorcoops) | 22 comments I'm so in. This looks fascinating. Thanks for sharing the link :)