The Readers Review: Literature from 1714 to 1910 discussion

2012/13 Group Reads - Archives > Sherlock - Reading Schedule

Comments Showing 1-50 of 165 (165 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Lynnm (last edited Jul 25, 2012 06:00PM) (new)

Lynnm | 3027 comments NOTE: EDITED ON JULY 25 TO MAKE A CHANGE IN THE SHORT STORIES FOR THE WEEKS OF JULY 29-AUGUST 4 AND AUGUST 5-AUGUST 11.

FINAL SCHEDULE:

Novels/short stories:

July 1-July 7: A Study in Scarlet (Part 1)
July 8-July 14: A Study in Scarlet (Part 2)
July 15-July 21: The Valley of Fear (Part 1)
July 22-July 28: The Valley of Fear (Part 2)/The Adventure of the Dancing Men
July 29-August 4: The Adventure of the Bruce-Partington Plans; The Five Orange Pips
August 5-August 11: The Naval Treaty; A Scandal in Bohemia
August 12-August 18: The Hound of the Baskervilles (Part 1)
August 19-August 25: The Hound of the Baskervilles (Part 2)
August 26-September 1: The Final Problem

Film/TV adaptations (correspond - for the most part - with the readings):

July 1-July 7: A Study in Pink (BBC Sherlock)
July 8-July 14: A Study in Scarlet (Reginald Owen)
July 15-July 21: The Blind Banker (BBC Sherlock)
July 22-July 28: The Dancing Men (Brett)
July 29-August 4: The Great Game (BBC Sherlock); The Naval Treaty (Brett); The Bruce Partington Plans (Brett)
August 5-August 11: A Scandal in Belgravia (BBC Sherlock); A Scandal in Bohemia (Brett)
August 12-August 18: The Hound of the Baskervilles (BBC Sherlock)
August 19-August 25: The Hound of the Baskervilles (Rathbone)
August 26-September 1: The Reichenbach Fall (BBC Sherlock); The Final Problem (Brett); Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (Rathbone)

NOTES:

(1) I am going to set up two threads for the Film/TV adaptations: one for the recent BBC Sherlock series and one for Brett/Rathbone/Other. People can watch how much or how little they want. But the information is there whatever someone wants to do.)

(2) I am also going to set up a Sherlock Holmes fan fiction/fanlore thread.

message 2: by Jo (new)

Jo (deronda) | 87 comments If I were to decide, I would have us read A Study in Scarlet and discuss it alongside A Study in Pink (BBC's Sherlock). Then any two of the three remaining novels.

Otherwise, I'd vote for option b), I'd be perfectly fine with that :)

message 3: by Lynnm (last edited Jun 16, 2012 05:53AM) (new)

Lynnm | 3027 comments Jo wrote: "If I were to decide, I would have us read A Study in Scarlet and discuss it alongside A Study in Pink (BBC's Sherlock). Then any two of the three remaining novels.

Otherwise, I'd vote for option b..."

Thanks, Jo! I had a feeling based on our prior discussions that you might vote that way. :-) I think it would be grand fun. But again, no pressure on anyone else to vote that way. ;)

And Jo, I will have a thread for the film/TV adapations. That way, no matter which way the votes go on the readings, those who are interested in the films/TV shows can have a discussion.

BTW - I just started watching the Jeremy Brett series. I've heard he was the best Sherlock, but I had never gotten around to watching. I liked the one episode I have watched (A Scandal in Bohemia) - Brett is a wonderful actor. (Although I prefer Ben... :-) ).

message 4: by Deborah, Moderator (new)

Deborah (deborahkliegl) | 4487 comments Mod
That couldn't be because Ben is much easier to look at???? (Only kidding). I don't care how we do this. I'm just excited about it. If you want to stay focused solely on Sherlock, then all of your approaches are great. If you want to see something non-Sherlock, we could always read one of Doyle's other stories. They are all good. Almost Sci Fi like.

message 5: by Lynnm (last edited Jun 16, 2012 07:52AM) (new)

Lynnm | 3027 comments Hmmmm...do you think? ;) He is easier to look at. :-)

I wouldn't mind reading one of Doyle's other stories - that would be interesting to compare and contrast, and get a different angle on his body of work. (And I like SciFi...)

And I was thinking after I last posted that it might be better - no matter what is voted on - to separate the books from the films/TV shows. That way each side can do their thing, and for the people who like both, they can just jump back and forth between threads.

message 6: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 220 comments I like Lynnm's proposal three, although I think doing all of them might be a little ambitious. Still, two months is a long time. I read Study in Scarlet at the end of May. (I was confused, and thought the group read started in June.) I watched the corresponding BBC/Moffat episode just after I finished reading the story, just so I could see how the two related. I found the comparison very interesting, and I think it would make a good topic for discussion. I don't know if everyone has access to the whole BBC series. I can get it through Netflix instant view, but I don't know how readily available it is otherwise.

message 7: by Deborah, Moderator (new)

Lynnm wrote: "Hmmmm...do you think? ;) He is easier to look at. :-)

I wouldn't mind reading one of Doyle's other stories - that would be interesting to compare and contrast, and get a different angle on his b..."

I'm in our lake house in Tenn. I have quite a bit of Doyle on my bookshelf in Mass (told you I was a fan). Let me take a look at some of the non-Sherlock stuff to give you some titles that you can look at. We will arrive back in Mass by the end of next week. I'm such a geek that I even have the annotated Sherlock Holmes!

message 8: by Lynnm (last edited Jun 16, 2012 09:54AM) (new)

Lynnm | 3027 comments Casceil's post reminded me that I should look into availability of the film/TV adaptations.

NOTE: YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PARTICIPATE IN THE FILM/TV ADAPTATIONS DISCUSSIONS...obviously. Whatever people want to do is fine. If you only want to participate in the book discussion, that's wonderful. If you only want to participate in the film/tv show adaptations discussion, that's great. If you want to do both, awesome! S'up to you.

This is information in case you would like to discuss the BBC Sherlock series but haven't yet watched the show. (I included Jeremy Brett and Basil Rathbone as well. I have a feeling that most folks will stay with the BBC Sherlock, but don't want Brett and Rathbone fans to feel left out).

BBC SHERLOCK:

- If you have Netflix, Series 1 is available via streaming. Series 2 - at this point - is only available via DVD.

- pbs.org is showing Series 2 for free via streaming through June 20 - in other words, you will have to rush. It is better to see Series 1 before Series 2, but the only thing you really need to know from Series 1 is that Moriarty is a bad bad bad man who doesn't like Sherlock. (And that's not a spoiler - you can figure that out rather quickly).

- iTunes - A Study in Pink (first episode from Series 1) is available for free. You can buy the other two episodes for $6.99 each, and each episode in Series 2 for $6.99. It is way less expensive if you buy the entire series all at once: for series 1, it is $8.99 non-HD, $12.99 HD; for series 2, it is $10.99 for non-HD, $16.99 for HD.

- Amazon instant - $4.99 for each episode in both Series 1 and Series 2. Again, far less expensive if you buy the entire series: series 1 is $8.99; series 2 is $9.99.

But again, for free, A Study in Pink on iTunes, PBS.org for Series 2 until June 20.

JEREMY BRETT:

- Netflix has streaming for the entire series.

- Amazon instant is $1.99 per episode

- Can't find on iTunes

BASIL RATHBONE:

- Netflix via DVD - all the Sherlock Holmes movies

- iTunes only has two movies available for $2.99 each for rent

- Amazon instant - only see the Hound of the Baskervilles for $1.99 via instant.

message 9: by Lynnm (last edited Jun 16, 2012 09:54AM) (new)

Lynnm | 3027 comments Casceil wrote: "I like Lynnm's proposal three, although I think doing all of them might be a little ambitious. Still, two months is a long time. I read Study in Scarlet at the end of May. (I was confused, and t..."

Yes, I agre, it might be a bit ambitious, but as you said, two months is a long time. And people don't have to read them all. They can come and out of the discussions.

message 10: by Rushyenka (new)

Rushyenka | 2 comments I love option 3 because apart from reading the stories, we can also see how adaptations vary across many dimensions: films/mini-series, historical/modern etc.

message 11: by Jessie J (new)

Jessie J (subseti) I'm new to the group, and this will be my first discussion, but I'm partial to option c, as well. Luckily, I managed to see Season 2 as it was aired on PBS.

message 12: by Lynnm (new)

Lynnm | 3027 comments Deborah wrote: "Let me take a look at some of the non-Sherlock stuff to give you some titles that you can look at. We will arrive back in Mass by the end of next week. I'm such a geek that I even have the annotated Sherlock Holmes! "

I took at look at some of the other non-Sherlock Holmes books, and the one that looked the most interesting was The Lost World with Professor Challenger. Sadly, it was written in 1912, which isn't the right timeframe for this forum. :-(

But it gave me the idea that for a future read, we might have people nominate science fiction books.

Since you know Doyle well, maybe there's a science fiction book that he wrote pre-1900? And there are other wonderful science fiction books from the 1800s: Verne, Wells, Poe, Kipling, even Twain's A CT Yankee in King Arthur's Court would qualify.

message 13: by Deborah, Moderator (new)

I'll have to check my Doyle stuff when I get back to Mass. We leave the lake on Wed bright and early and drive straight thru (about 15 hrs or so). I should be able to check by Friday. Luckily I spent all that time alphabetizing my library so I know right where they are. Plus I can check in my reference book. Such a nerd am I. Not an English major and have reference books on literature for my own use, not to mention an OED (yes the complete set).

message 14: by Jo (new)

Jo (deronda) | 87 comments Lynnm wrote: "Jo wrote: "If I were to decide, I would have us read A Study in Scarlet and discuss it alongside A Study in Pink (BBC's Sherlock). Then any two of the three remaining novels.

Otherwise, I'd vote f..."

Good idea indeed to have a separate thread to discuss films & TV adaptions ... As for the proposals, I think I'll be happy with whatever is decided on.

PS: Lynnm, right now I'm watching my first Brett movie, too! 'The Sign of Four'. Intriguing.

message 15: by Lynnm (new)

Lynnm | 3027 comments Deborah wrote: "I'll have to check my Doyle stuff when I get back to Mass. We leave the lake on Wed bright and early and drive straight thru (about 15 hrs or so). I should be able to check by Friday. Luckily I ..."

Well, if you are a nerd, then I am too! :-) And actually, being a nerd is a good thing today. As they said in the BBC Sherlock series, "Brainy is the new sexy."

And the OED is a great reference book. That's great that you have it.

message 16: by Lynnm (last edited Jun 17, 2012 12:28PM) (new)

Lynnm | 3027 comments Jo wrote: "right now I'm watching my first Brett movie, too! 'The Sign of Four'. Intriguing. "

I've only watched one so far, but I liked it. I'm going to watch a couple more this week. And as I'm reading through the Sherlock stories, Brett seems to be the one who portrays the character as written.

But I still like Ben best. ;)

message 17: by Linda2 (last edited Jun 17, 2012 06:14PM) (new)

Linda2 | 3743 comments Lynnm wrote: "Jo wrote: "right now I'm watching my first Brett movie, too! 'The Sign of Four'. Intriguing. "

I've only watched one so far, but I liked it. I'm going to watch a couple more this week. And as I'm ..."

New guy's creepy-looking, with tiny eyes. I lasted half an hour of the first show. Some stories should not be updated, some actors can't be improved upon.

Brett without the ghostly make-up:
http://www.fanpop.com/spots/jeremy-br...

But the stories are another matter. Do you think the novels have enough substance to take 2 weeks each?

message 18: by Lynnm (last edited Jun 17, 2012 07:19PM) (new)

Lynnm | 3027 comments Rochelle wrote: "Lynnm wrote: "Jo wrote: "right now I'm watching my first Brett movie, too! 'The Sign of Four'. Intriguing. "

I've only watched one so far, but I liked it. I'm going to watch a couple more this wee..."

Miss Rochelle - be nice. lol! To each their own. They all have merits. Rathbone, Brett, and Cumberbatch all are great actors, and from what I've seen so far, I've enjoyed the different adaptations. The Sherlock Holmes stories have the most adaptations of any literary fiction to date so Brett wasn't the first by a long shot and the BBC Sherlock series isn't going to be the last. In fact, there is going to be an NBC show called Elementary in the Fall - Johnny Lee Miller as Sherlock and Lucy Liu as a female Watson.

As for the novels, I've been going through and coming up with discussion suggestions, and so far, I've come up with quite a few ideas. (Of course, people can chat about whatever moves them as well). We'll see how it goes. If we find the discussions losing steam, as Deborah suggested, we can look at some of Doyle's other works.

message 19: by Jessie J (new)

Jessie J (subseti) Just to show you differing tastes: I was introduced to Sherlock Holmes as a child via the Basil Rathbone/Nigel Bruce movies, so they are forever Holmes and Watson to me.

I don't mind watching multiple adaptations, however. No one has mentioned the Richard Roxburgh or Matt Frewer versions of Holmes, for example. ;^)

message 20: by Lynnm (last edited Jun 17, 2012 07:25PM) (new)

Lynnm | 3027 comments Jessie, I really enjoyed the two Basil Rathbone/Nigel Bruce films that I watched. And next in my Netflix queue is their version of The Hound of the Baskervilles. I was telling my dad about watching them, and he said he loved them - he remembers all the terrible things Moriarty did to Sherlock in those films. (And Moriarty is still doing terrible things to Sherlock in the latest adaptations!)

But never heard of Richard Roxburgh or Matt Frewer! I'm going to have to Google them tomorrow. Thanks for the tip.

message 21: by Frances, Moderator (new)

Frances (francesab) | 1870 comments Mod
Rochelle wrote: "Lynnm wrote: "Jo wrote: "right now I'm watching my first Brett movie, too! 'The Sign of Four'. Intriguing. "

I've only watched one so far, but I liked it. I'm going to watch a couple more this wee..."

I have to agree Rochelle, that Brett seems to epitomize Holmes (and I read the books before watching the Brett series). I wouldn't have recognized him from the photo you posted-pretty impressive make-up/costuming. And while I often enjoy "modernizations" I think half the charm of Holmes is the whole "period" aspect-there could be no pea-soup fog or Baker St Irregulars or even a proper Mrs Hudson in a modern retelling. I do, however, look forward to watching the Cumberbatch series given the multiple rave reviews here and elsewhere.

I would go with c but also favour 2 threads-lets not mix our book discussions up with our movie discussions! (I must say one of my favourite things about this group is the separate social discussion thread!)

message 22: by Linda2 (last edited Jun 17, 2012 09:21PM) (new)

Linda2 | 3743 comments Jessie wrote: "Just to show you differing tastes: I was introduced to Sherlock Holmes as a child via the Basil Rathbone/Nigel Bruce movies, so they are forever Holmes and Watson to me.

I don't mind watching mu..."

I've seen Rathbone in movies on TV, and I've seen Nicol Williamson and Robert Stephens in films.

message 23: by Linda2 (new)

Linda2 | 3743 comments Frances wrote: "Rochelle wrote: "Lynnm wrote: "Jo wrote: "right now I'm watching my first Brett movie, too! 'The Sign of Four'. Intriguing. "

I've only watched one so far, but I liked it. I'm going to watch a cou..."

He was, bluntly, a hunk, almost unrecognizable as Holmes. In any case, he's the one I've seen the most. But I diverge. It would be interesting to try some of the books now.

message 24: by Jo (new)

Jo (deronda) | 87 comments Frances wrote: "And while I often enjoy "modernizations" I think half the charm of Holmes is the whole "period" aspect-there could be no pea-soup fog or Baker St Irregulars or even a proper Mrs Hudson in a modern retelling. "

I'm something of purist when it comes to film adaptations of Victorian literature (still haven't watched Great Expectations '98); but BBC's 21st century Sherlock seems to be my one exception. What a wonderful cast - and I don't just mean the main characters.

message 25: by Jessie J (new)

Jessie J (subseti) Nicol Williamson--that was "Seven Percent Solution" wasn't it, or something similarly titled? I haven't thought of that in years!

message 26: by Linda2 (new)

Linda2 | 3743 comments I read the book, then saw the film, and saw it again on TV. But I just remembered that it wasn't a Doyle book.

message 27: by Linda2 (new)

Linda2 | 3743 comments Jo wrote: "Frances wrote: "And while I often enjoy "modernizations" I think half the charm of Holmes is the whole "period" aspect-there could be no pea-soup fog or Baker St Irregulars or even a proper Mrs Hud..."

Catch the G.E. that was done on PBS about 3 months ago. It's as faithful to the book as the 1946 version, although I think the American version was cut.

message 28: by Lynnm (new)

Lynnm | 3027 comments Frances wrote: "I would go with c but also favour 2 threads-lets not mix our book discussions up with our movie discussions! (I must say one of my favourite things about this group is the separate social discussion thread!) "

The book and the film/tv adapation threads will definitely be separate.

Although I will say that the film/tv adapation thread won't merely be social. We will have in-depth discussions about the films/tv shows as well. There are a lot of ideas embedded in the shows.

Good grief, I can't wait for the discussions to start. :-) So many things to talk about, both in the books/stories and the film/tv adaptations.

message 29: by Lynnm (last edited Jun 18, 2012 06:53AM) (new)

Lynnm | 3027 comments Jo wrote: "I'm something of purist when it comes to film adaptations of Victorian literature "

I feel the same way about a lot of the classics. Jane is my favorite author; some of the remakes and updates, I just adore. Others, not. And some remakes and updates that I love, I see comments from others who absolutely loathe and despise them.

This might be a good place to start in the film/tv adapation thread when July 1 finally rolls around: why do we accept some film/tv adapations but not others?

Again, not to be answered here, but might be a good place to start the film/tv adaptation thread discussion.

message 30: by Lynnm (new)

Lynnm | 3027 comments Jeremy Brett fans: I can't seem to find a version of A Study in Scarlet in any of the Brett episodes. Can find the other stories we are doing, but not that particular novel. Do you recall if there was an episode that was based on A Study in Scarlet that I missed?

message 31: by Linda2 (last edited Jun 18, 2012 08:24PM) (new)

Linda2 | 3743 comments Lynnm wrote: "Jeremy Brett fans: I can't seem to find a version of A Study in Scarlet in any of the Brett episodes. Can find the other stories we are doing, but not that particular novel. Do you recall if there ..."

Here's his filmography, and you're right. Maybe his illness prevented his completing the series.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0107950/fi...

Peter Cushing did one on TV in 1968, but there are no copies:
http://finnclark.thiswaydown.org/Revi...

From Wikipedia: other recent versions, on radio only. It would be interesting to get a radio version, which leaves a lot to your mind's eye:

"Sherlock Holmes and a Study in Scarlet the first episode of the BBC's complete Sherlock Holmes on Radio 4, starring Clive Merrison as Holmes and Michael Williams as Watson;[citation needed] and a 2007 episode of the American radio series The Classic Adventures of Sherlock Holmes.[citation needed]"

message 32: by Lynnm (new)

Lynnm | 3027 comments Thanks for the information, Rochelle. I'll see if I can find the radio episode - someone might have uploaded it to youtube.

message 33: by Lynnm (new)

Lynnm | 3027 comments Here's Reginald Owen in A Study in Scarlet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEbqpA...

And here is part of Clive Merrison's Sherlock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGLEjH...

message 34: by Jo (new)

Jo (deronda) | 87 comments Rochelle wrote: "Catch the G.E. that was done on PBS about 3 months ago. It's as faithful to the book as the 1946 version, although I think the American version was cut. "

Thanks, Rochelle, that sounds interesting. Maybe I'm lucky enough to find it somewhere.

message 35: by Linda2 (last edited Jun 19, 2012 06:25AM) (new)

Linda2 | 3743 comments Lynnm wrote: "Thanks for the information, Rochelle. I'll see if I can find the radio episode - someone might have uploaded it to youtube."

I was surprised to see that YT now accept videos over 1 1/2 hours long. It changes the whole ballgame. You might also try sites devoted to old radio shows or CD's of such.

My friend in OK has an extensive SH collection of both audio and film. She's sent me a list of her files in an Excel file.

Here's a Librivox version uploaded to YT in several parts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLNvB9...
Those are a mixed bag. I D/L an entire novel a few months ago and couldn't deal with the heavy Brit accent. And they're read with one flat voice throughout.

message 36: by Linda2 (last edited Jun 18, 2012 07:57PM) (new)

Linda2 | 3743 comments I now have the 1989 audio from Brit radio on a CD of 154 MB. The audio quality is the best.

But it is copyrighted.

message 37: by Johnny (new)

Johnny B3 | 1 comments just to comment on an aside. there is a show called "rivals of sherlock holmes" they did back in the day. it's playing on acorn tv online right now. it covers the detectives OTHER than doyle's at the time. worth seeing but it has nothing to do with the topic thread. just felt i should share

message 38: by Lynnm (new)

Lynnm | 3027 comments Rochelle - thanks for the link to the audio file! That's great.

Too bad the other one is copyrighted. :-(

But we have plenty of versions right now. Novel, films, tv adaptations, and audio. Something for everyone!

message 39: by Lynnm (new)

Lynnm | 3027 comments Johnny wrote: "just to comment on an aside. there is a show called "rivals of sherlock holmes" they did back in the day. it's playing on acorn tv online right now. it covers the detectives OTHER than doyle's at t..."

Johnny - thanks for the information - I'll check it out. It would be good to review some of the other detective works published at the same time.

message 40: by MadgeUK (new)

MadgeUK | 5214 comments The BBC series has finished over here so I won't be able to watch it - it isn't on Youtube in full yet. I will probably watch on old film on Youtube. I don' subscribe to Netfix either.

Wouldn't it be better to discuss it alongside a Youtube film that everyone can watch rather than the BBC series, or Netfix, which are not available to everyone? I think discussing several versions at the same time would be confusing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEbqpA...

message 41: by Linda2 (last edited Jun 19, 2012 06:39AM) (new)

Linda2 | 3743 comments Lynnm wrote: "Rochelle - thanks for the link to the audio file! That's great.
Too bad the other one is copyrighted. :-( ..."

Putting on my geek hat:

All the commercial versions are copyrighted, except the 1933 ones.;-) ...

... and they get removed from YouTube only if the copyright holder files a complaint. With the thousands of videos being uploaded daily, this doesn't always happen. And now that YT accepts ads, it's no longer illegal to download from the site. In fact, I have 3 download programs on my computer.

message 42: by Linda2 (new)

Linda2 | 3743 comments Another source of videos, dailymotion.com.
http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/...

message 43: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 220 comments MadgeUK wrote: "The BBC series has finished over here so I won't be able to watch it - it isn't on Youtube in full yet. I will probably watch on old film on Youtube. I don' subscribe to Netfix either.

Wouldn't it be better to discuss it alongside a Youtube film that everyone can watch rather than the BBC series, or Netfix, which are not available to everyone? I think discussing several versions at the same time would be confusing. ..."

I just checked Amazon.com, and many forms of Sherlock are available there, for a price of course. Both seasons of the recent BBC series are available either on DVD or for instant download. The instant video for Season 2 is $9.99.

message 44: by Deborah, Moderator (new)

Another idea to toss out there. If we run out of things to discuss we can add in Doyle's relationship with bell.

message 45: by MadgeUK (new)

MadgeUK | 5214 comments I just checked Amazon.com, and many forms of Sherlock are available there, for a price of course.

Everything is available at a price:) I am a pensioner and try not to use too much of my limited income on books and/or DVDs etc which is why I suggested Youtube.

message 46: by Lynnm (last edited Jun 19, 2012 11:01AM) (new)

Lynnm | 3027 comments MadgeUK wrote: "The BBC series has finished over here so I won't be able to watch it - it isn't on Youtube in full yet. I will probably watch on old film on Youtube. I don' subscribe to Netfix either.

Wouldn't i..."

There really aren't a lot of film/tv versions of A Study in Scarlet. There isn't a Rathbone or Brett version; only the recent BBC Sherlock and the older Reginald Owen.

And I think that most people are currently interested in the Sherlock Holmes stories because of the newest BBC Sherlock.

If people don't have Netflix, iTunes has A Study in Pink for free. And the Reginald Owen version is on youtube (your link).

I wasn't going to do it until next week after people voted, but I'm going to come up with a tentative schedule by the end of the day for both the novels/short stories and the film/tv adaptations threads (two separate threads).

message 47: by Lynnm (new)

Lynnm | 3027 comments Rochelle wrote: "Another source of videos, dailymotion.com.
http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/..."

I forgot about dailymotion.com - didn't even know it was still out there!

message 48: by Lynnm (last edited Jun 19, 2012 11:12AM) (new)

Lynnm | 3027 comments Casceil wrote: "I just checked Amazon.com, and many forms of Sherlock are available there, for a price of course. Both seasons of the recent BBC series are available either on DVD or for instant download. The instant video for Season 2 is $9.99. "

Yes, definitely, they are available via iTunes or Amazon. But as Madge said, some people are on limited incomes and even that is too much - very understandable given the current economy.

Again, however, iTunes has A Study in Pink for free - it is when we get to the other episodes in the BBC Sherlock that there is a problem - you'd have to have the DVD, have Netflix, or be willing to spend the $9-$10 per season (I think it was about $18-$20 for the two seasons in total on either iTunes or Amazon).

BUT (don't mean to shout), I'll have it organized so that we can discuss BBC Sherlock first and then we'll have a version available via youtube/dailymotion (if possible) that we can also discuss. A lot of the Brett episodes are on youtube, but I'm not sure if all of them are. They are on Netflix, but as Madge pointed out, not everyone has Netflix.

message 49: by Lynnm (new)

Lynnm | 3027 comments Deborah wrote: "Another idea to toss out there. If we run out of things to discuss we can add in Doyle's relationship with bell."

That sounds interesting!

message 50: by MadgeUK (new)

MadgeUK | 5214 comments Don't yo have to have another i-gadget to play i-tunes?

« previous 1 3 4

The Readers Review: Literature from 1714 to 1910

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Lost in Austen (other topics)