The Sword and Laser discussion

Sword and Laser Video Show > Want to visit the President? (SysOp might yank this fast)

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Walrus (new)

Walrus | 80 comments OK, not to offend anyone, and not to get our Sys Admins or System Operators in trouble, but this is where I want to look for someone to go visit the President with me. Yes that President, President Obama.

I got an email this morning that since I live in Arizona I can win a meal with the President of the United States, and I'll have to bring someone.

Who wants to go? Here is my requirements. Donate to the campaign and be able to prove it somehow, so If I pick you I know we won't be arguing politics during the flight to see him, and will instead be spending time discussing what we want to discuss with him.

If you are Maryland, Michigan, Ohio, or Arizona, you can donate for your own shot to win.

message 2: by Mike (new)

Mike Thicke (mikethicke) | 70 comments How many people live in Arizona? Like 5? Good luck!

message 3: by Walrus (last edited Jun 15, 2012 12:42PM) (new)

Walrus | 80 comments Well no, there are 5 million in Phoenix, but the vast majority of them are Mormon or very conservative, so I'm not worried about losing to them... : )

message 4: by Irene (new)

Irene McHugh (irenemchugh) | 25 comments I'm one of the five people in Arizona and I did not get this email.

Do you mind sharing who sent this lovely invite/donation opportunity?

Maybe it was targeted to Phoenix residents. I'm in the much bluer city of Tucson.

message 5: by Walrus (last edited Jun 16, 2012 09:47PM) (new)

Walrus | 80 comments +Irene info@barackobama.com sent it to me.

I don't remember how it started, maybe I signed up for something at http://www.barackobama.com. I think I may have gotten it around the Google+ hangout He did.

I don't think it is just for Valley of the Sun residents, I'm sure he wants to know what is going on elsewhere in Arizona, especially Tucson.

message 6: by Irene (new)

Irene McHugh (irenemchugh) | 25 comments Thanks Walrus!

message 7: by Kim (new)

Kim | 477 comments Do you really need to bring politics into S&L?

message 8: by Nathan (last edited Jun 17, 2012 06:50AM) (new)

Nathan (tenebrous) | 377 comments I am sorta cynical about the guy, because I had hopes for him once upon a time.

Nevertheless, I wish I was a citizen of a state he wishes to speak to. I would love to talk with him and listen to what he really has to say.

message 9: by P. Aaron (new)

P. Aaron Potter (paaronpotter) | 585 comments The "flag" button is on the right-hand-side of the OP, right next to "reply."

message 10: by Cy (new)

Cy Helm | 57 comments WHEN you win, you and your companion could discuss writing some fan fiction that puts the Pres. in the story. Maybe he's a wizard being stymied by a mysterious rival. He thinks the rival is across the aisle, but is that really the case. After all, politics makes strange bed fellows.

message 11: by Kim (new)

Kim | 477 comments P. Aaron wrote: "The "flag" button is on the right-hand-side of the OP, right next to "reply.""

That reports it to GR management, not the group moderators.

message 12: by Micah (new)

Micah (onemorebaker) | 1071 comments Sys-Op?

Haven't been around S&L much huh? We have Tom and Veronica. That's about it. They may pull your post but I doubt it.

message 13: by Walrus (new)

Walrus | 80 comments Micah wrote: "Sys-Op?

Haven't been around S&L much huh? We have Tom and Veronica. That's about it. They may pull your post but I doubt it."

Veronica ran a BBS, back in her much younger days. I got PC Board to run on Windows 3.51 for a big client, before the of 1995. I remember this because I was still in school, when I did it.

So, I am sure she has some System Operator experience. Now it is not like she has a degree in Computer Technology/Science, but she has great technical skills and smarts, so I wouldn't put too much past her.

message 14: by Micah (new)

Micah (onemorebaker) | 1071 comments Walrus wrote: "Veronica ran a BBS, back in her much younger days. I got PC Board to run on Windows 3.51 for a big client, before the of 1995. I remember this because I was still in school, when I did it.

So, I am sure she has some System Operator experience. Now it is not like she has a degree in Computer Technology/Science, but she has great technical skills and smarts, so I wouldn't put too much past her. "

wasn't trying to say that she didn't have the "sys-op" skills.

Was saying more along the lines of "I don't think they care that much."

message 15: by Walrus (new)

Walrus | 80 comments +Michah Then why didn't you simply say "I don't think they care that much," in the first place?

message 16: by Ja (new)

Ja (jaharbour) | 6 comments I feel like this is one of those "donate to the syrian king and you will win millions" emails

Ruth (tilltab) Ashworth | 1861 comments Walrus wrote: "+Michah Then why didn't you simply say "I don't think they care that much," in the first place?"

I thought his comment implied as much. That's how it read to me.