What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Wolfwalker (Wolfwalker, #1)
This topic is about Wolfwalker
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Fantasy/SciFi Young woman with violet eyes and telepathically-connected wolf [s]

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jennifer (tigerhearted) | 16 comments This was a book I picked up at a used book store in the mid-late 90's, but I got rid of it ages ago in a de-clutter purge.

The book opens with the violet-eyed (I remember her eyes were described as being the purplish color of storm-clouds or some-such) woman being attacked on a trail or road by some form of wild-life. She defeats the beast but has an injury on her leg. She uses some kind of bug to clamp the injury shut -- she lets the bug kind of staple the injury shut with its mouth and then pinches off the bug's body before it can start eating. She repeats the process until her injury is all stapled up, and then she continues on her way.

She is telepathically connected/bonded to a wolf companion.

Eventually there is some political intrigue, and she teams up with a group of companions. They set off on some journey to get answers.

I think at one point they wind up in a bordering country where the women get captured and put on an auction block, or have to disguise themselves as members of a harem, but they manage to escape.

(view spoiler)

Pretty sure the cover had a picture of the young woman and her wolf standing together. The art style seemed like the 80's style of the typical fantasy/scifi, or maybe early 90's.

Any ideas? This has been bugging me for years.

message 2: by D.M. (new)

D.M. Dutcher  | 340 comments My guess would be one of the Wolfwalker books, though I don't know offhand which.

Jennifer (tigerhearted) | 16 comments ! I think the one you linked is it! Going to check it out now and confirm. But the cover looks so familiar, and the description fits.

message 4: by Kate (last edited Jun 15, 2012 10:52PM) (new)

Kate Farrell | 4070 comments Mod
Another possibility: Through Wolf's Eyes by Jane Lindskold, just to mix it up a little.
Through Wolf's Eyes (Firekeeper Saga, #1) by Jane Lindskold

message 5: by Sara (new)

Sara (vivianstreet) | 26 comments I'm not sure this one fits (it's been ages since I read it) but here goes: Wolf-Speaker

message 6: by Tess (new)

Tess | 438 comments I agree it sounds like Wolf-Speaker

message 7: by Melanie (new) - added it

Melanie (melanie_yap) | 4 comments I agree with dmdutcher, I think it is Wolfwalker (the first of the series).
It is about a girl that travels through the wild with a wolf-companion that she is telepathically bonded to, and moreover, from what I remember this book contains that specific bug-stitching scene that you described.

Hope it's the one!

Jennifer (tigerhearted) | 16 comments Thanks everyone! I've ordered a used copy of Wolfwalker as I couldn't find it locally, should be getting here next week :D

message 9: by Clare K. R. (new)

Clare K. R. (clare-dragonfly) | 55 comments I read Wolf-Speaker fairly recently and can be pretty sure that's not it. It doesn't have much in common with Jennifer's description.

message 10: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 184 comments I remember the bug-scene too, but can't for the life of me remember from where, don't think there were any telepathic wolves, though.

message 11: by Ariana (new)

Ariana | 53 comments So, could this be moved to solved?

message 12: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4070 comments Mod
I'm hoping that Jennifer will come back to confirm that Wolfwalker really is the book. I don't know if she's checking to see if Wolfwalker is the book, or if she's sure it is.

message 13: by Sanne (last edited Jun 28, 2012 06:21AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sanne (ignes) | 5 comments This sounds very much alike a book I also can´t remember the title of. I don´t remember as much as Jennifer but I do seem to recall the harem/slavery/auction thing a bit differently:
It was quite at the start of the book I think, and it was not the main character, but two daughters of one of her companions who were put up for sale. (view spoiler)

From the description I'm not totally convinced it's Wolfwalker, but I'm going to look into it. Have been trying to remember this book for ages!

Edit: Found the Dutch title of the first two Wolfwalker books and recognized the covers. Those were the ones I meant. Hope the same turns out to be true for Jennifer.

message 14: by Jennifer (last edited Jul 03, 2012 07:45AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jennifer (tigerhearted) | 16 comments My copy of Wolfwalker arrived in the mail yesterday! I read a few pages into it, and this is the book I was looking for! Thanks for your help everyone!