Science Fiction Films discussion

VIDEODROME

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Matt (new)

Matt | 14 comments Recently read Cronenberg on Cronenberg which influenced me to rent VIDEODROME- I loved this movie! Obvious precursor to his NAKED LUNCH- actually fits into his oeuvre very nicely.

This movie was so ahead of its time. Rick Baker's SE may be a little dated but I think this actually adds to rather than detracts from the strength of this film.

I am also a fan of Assayas and without VIDEODROME IMHO there would be no demonlover. For anyone who belongs to this group and has not seen this screen gem add it to your queue now. Long live the new flesh! Death to VIDEODROME!!! PS Dont miss the trailer!

message 2: by Ubik (new)

Ubik | 101 comments Mod
I believe that the growth in my head...this head, this one right here...I think that it is not really a tumor...not an uncontrolled, undirected little bubbling pot of flesh, but that it is in fact...a new organ...a new part of the brain

message 3: by Phillip (last edited Jan 09, 2009 09:43PM) (new)

Phillip oh yeah, videodrome is unflinching and influential; one of his strongest "early" films. in fact, i would say that film marks the beginning of his mature work.

matt, i've held cronenberg on cronenberg in my hands a few times, but didn't pick it up. i really admire his work - this might be a stupid question, but would you recommend it? what years do the interviews span?

message 4: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 39 comments I always wanted to own a copy of this on a pirated videocassette. :)

His follow up film (thematically) is "eXistenZ."

message 5: by Matt (new)

Matt | 14 comments I feel its a little murky as to when the earliest interviews took place, on closer examination "The first was in Toronto in May 1984..." and ends with CRASH (1996). If you actually held a copy in your hand I would recommend. He is rather articulate and has some interesting ideas about art, writing and the creative process. Additionally it is an interesting glimpse into the history of Canadian filmmaking, who knew?

message 6: by Matt (new)

Matt | 14 comments Anybody else make anything out of the character of Harlan's or Max Renn's (when trying on glasses at Spectacular Optical; "We make eyeglasses for the children of the third world, missile guidance systems for NATO, and now VIDEODROME) physical resemblance to/mirroring of Cronenberg?

message 7: by Phillip (new)

Phillip i think we discussed eXistenZ around here somewhere. i think i started a thread on cronenberg, but i think that was over in the (good) horror group.

thanks for the tip matt. cronenberg is really articulate, the interviews on the criterion naked lunch reveal a keen intellect and fierce artistic integrity.

message 8: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 39 comments I've interviewed Cronenberg a couple of times. He's interesting to talk to.

I recommended he read Greg Bear's "Blood Music" as I thought it would be perfect material for him. (I have no financial interest in it.) He replied that I was not the first person to tell that to him.