Future Survivors, the Apocalypse Group discussion

Surviving in post apocalyptic world while....

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca can someone recommend a gritty book that's more adult oriented with a storyline similar to a group of people trying to survive in a post apocalyptic world(or zombie takeover) while plotting against each other not knowing who to trust? with certain characters losing his/her sense of humanity... a book that is full of surprises; suspense, and horror. A book that will keep you guessing the whole time.

Melissa (Asarelah) (thebibliophiliccat) | 22 comments Your description of what you are looking for kind of reminds me of The Maze Runner trilogy, with the exception of it not being necessarily adult oriented. It's a YA book, but a great series.

message 3: by Tayler (new)

Tayler Wright (taylerewright) | 7 comments definitely the maze runner trilogy.

message 4: by Chris (new)

Chris Ward (chriswardfictionwriter) | 19 comments I read a book years ago by a guy called Robert Westhall called Futuretrack 5 which sounds vaguely what you're looking for. It was about a pair of kids who went on the run in this oppressive Britain but couldn't be sure if they were both on the same side or not. I was about fifteen when I read it but at the time I thought it was really, really good.

message 5: by Al (new)

Al (alstone) Just discussing The Maze Runner in another group. Since it's recommended here, I think I might actually go get it now :)

message 6: by Arie (new)

Arie (notarie) Definitely The Walking Dead - it's a comic series rather than a book, as such, but definitely fulfills all those requirements! Especially the "loss of humanity" part.

message 7: by Mike (new)

Mike (megraven) | 5 comments R.A. Heinlein - Farnham's Freehold and
Alas Babylon by Pat Frank
{http://www.thefreeholdsite.com/sites/...}

Both "old school"

message 8: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind You might enjoy The Rising

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/21...

It's a zombie-type book and there are definite clashes in agendas in parts of it.

message 9: by Mari (new)

Mari | 8 comments Arielle wrote: "Definitely The Walking Dead - it's a comic series rather than a book, as such, but definitely fulfills all those requirements! Especially the "loss of humanity" part."
This is exactly the book that came to mind when I read the first message. Definitely fits the description if the person doesn't mind that it's an ongoing comic book series.

message 10: by Annemieke (new)

Annemieke (annemiekevanelst) | 3 comments I think "endless" is a good book for you.

message 11: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind You might also enjoy Hater There is a most definite loss of humanity in it.

message 12: by Joo Hee (new)

Joo Hee Bennett (joothezombie) | 3 comments Mike wrote: "R.A. Heinlein - Farnham's Freehold and
Alas Babylon by Pat Frank
{http://www.thefreeholdsite.com/sites/...}

Both "old school""

loved these books.... read them a decade ago when i first go into reading zombie novels... great suggestion

message 13: by Wade (new)

Wade (normaltype) | 6 comments Try The Face of The Waters

message 14: by Wade (new)

Wade (normaltype) | 6 comments The day of the triffids or the chrysalids

message 15: by Emily (new)

Emily Klein I'm currently listening to "One second after" and the story is beginning to discuss deaths due to the power outage and one specific character, an overweight died if a great attack in the hospital. the main characters daughter is type one diabetic also. my question to you is are you currently taking care of yourself in a way that you could survive an emergency or end of current society? Even a severe winter storm or hurricane could put you at risk. Could you survive?

message 16: by ken (new)

ken Robinson | 13 comments ihave listen to once second after I am diabetic I found the story fascinating, interesting ,thought provoking and exciting.

message 17: by Emily (new)

Emily Klein I just read the scene of the nursing home as well as his experience getting insulin for his daughter. Made me ill thinking about that. My husband is type 1 as well and he has about two years worth of insulin, however it's all in a small fridge(with power). We are both very active, but have been less so the last few months since grad school began. We don't have TV, but we do love our electronics(radio, smart phones, audible, internet etc). Even his ham radio wouldn't work if an EMP occurred. I don't know if we have any electronic devices that would. We do some hunting, have two dogs, a safe full of guns, and are healthy. We have almost a year of food storage and medical kits. However this is all in preparation for an emergency such as bad weather, civil war, fire. But an EMP?!?! That would be really bad and many things would instantly fail putting people in a state of survival. This book is full of humorous comments such "ah shit" in regards to no coffee, and "dad my cell phone isn't working" however in a real scenario this would be serious stuff. I agree this story is fascinating and interesting. Are WE, the so called post apocalyptic survivors, really prepared?

message 18: by Emily (new)

Emily Klein How fast do you think society would start to collapse after a horrific event such as a revolution, nuclear bomb or EMP? One week? A month? 6 months?

message 19: by ken (new)

ken Robinson | 13 comments after an emp I don't think that civilized society would last maybe last 2 to 3 weeks if even that as people runout of food,water , medical supplys all the things they need to survive.

message 20: by Philip (new)

Philip (phenweb) | 76 comments I've blogged and written about this, click my profile if you want to find out more; but just in time supply means that food and other goods distribution is totally dependent on the vehicle transport system. Fuel supplies for the transport system are also just in time. With no power, water and sewage soon cease. Don't have a well or spring then start collecting rain water, not raining... Financial system disappears then it's every person for themselves with barter or force the only answer.

Government may try and function for a while maybe even a couple of months if they know it's coming, but after batteries run out with no power to recharge how will the Government communicate even to it's military or security back to messenger. Close communities may survive if they can organise clean water, sewage and food, before disease and famine take hold. Time of year and geographic location will have an impact. Winter bad for power, shelter and food. Summer bad for water and disease. Want to visit relatives that one hour car journey now takes two days by horse if you have a horse or three days walking. I'm not a survivalist most people aren't and even survivalists go to stores for supplies every now and then.

Everywhere I have read and researched civilisation is a very thin veneer when people are hungry, ill, thirsty or just desperate - until we get used to it. There's a quote about a few meals from disaster or riot that I have forgotten.

Adding to the immediate EMP image are plane, train, car and ship crashes. Potential Nuclear runaways - although safety mechanisms hopefully kick in, locks river and sea defences, your cooker, fridge.

All the fun of the fare.

message 21: by Bob (new)

Bob Collopy (bobcollopy) | 10 comments I believe Brave New World might do it.

Or 1984

they are classics, and neither are young adult.

They have all the elements you like except the fact that they are developed societies and less apocalyptic.

Not sure if that's the most important factor.

message 22: by Alastair (new)

Alastair Iain Ross | 5 comments I agree - Day of the Triffids or even Children of Men.

message 23: by Alastair (new)

Alastair Iain Ross | 5 comments Another thought is 'The penultimate truth' by Philip K Dick (a little old but some great ideas).

Alternatively, if you want something near future and exploring the impact of global business and technology on ordinary people interwoven with violence & corporate espionage - you might take a look at "A joy to serve the company"..... (conflict of interest alert - it's my new book so I'm perhaps a little biased!)

message 24: by Vardan (new)

Vardan Partamyan (vardanpartamyan) | 158 comments my first novel deals with the theme you have in mind.

The After/Life The After/Life by Vardan Partamyan

I hope you will find it interesting!

message 25: by Jim (new)

Jim Vuksic "World War Z - An Oral History of the Zombie War" by Max Brooks.

The author actually inserts himself into the story as a reporter traveling around a world that has been nearly destroyed by millions of zombies to obtain first-hand accounts from the human survivors who are trying desperately to turn the tide.

message 26: by Morgan (new)

Morgan | 1 comments "Biohazard" by Tim Curran and also "Ressurection: Zombie Epic - same author.

message 27: by Jim (last edited Dec 20, 2013 06:19PM) (new)

Jim Vuksic "Alas Babylon" by Pat Frank.

Though first published in 1959, the storyline is so entertaining and suspenseful; I guarantee today's readers will thoroughly enjoy it.

This tale of post worldwide thermo-nuclear war survival doesn't require mutants, zombies, or monsters to frighten and dismay the reader. The terrible atrocities that humans inflict upon their fellow survivors are sufficiently horrific and terrifying.