Glens Falls (NY) Online Book Discussion Group discussion

Topics Other Than Bks-Pics-TV. > Video - Odd Elephant-Dog Friendship

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments This amazing video was recorded at an animal sanctuary where a dog and an elephant have formed an unusual friendship.

See link below:====>
http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?i...

message 2: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments This is awesome! I love seeing this kind of thing. We could learn so much from the animal kingdom.

message 3: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Jackie wrote: "This is awesome! I love seeing this kind of thing. We could learn so much from the animal kingdom."

So true. Animals hold so many mysteries... and they can't tell us about any of them. We just have to learn from them by observation. When my dog stares at me, I think: "What are you trying to say?". That stare can have so many different meanings: "I wanna go out"... "I want a treat" ... "I adore you" ... "You're the most fascinating person in the world" (lol)...

Animals, birds, (and other living things) have instincts we've never even imagined.

message 4: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments We have instincts but we've been taught to disregard them and they have atrophied.

message 5: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Jackie wrote: "We have instincts but we've been taught to disregard them and they have atrophied."

Yes, that's probably true, Jackie. A few years ago I noticed myself disregarding flashes of insight which came to me for just a few seconds while trying to make a decision. I then realized that I was dismissing these flashes of insight off the bat, not giving them a chance, because I didn't trust my own thinking. So I decided that in the future, I would stop and catch these flashes when they happened and I would follow up on them. You'd be surprised what a difference it has made in my life. All kinds of good ideas have flourished. This online group is only one of them.

message 6: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments P.S. Another example of an idea that popped into my mind which I followed up on was the urge to buy each of our homes over the years. In each case, I immediately saw the advantages. My husband would hesitate, but I knew. Other homes we looked at, I would immediately dismiss. That's instinct... right or wrong.

Hmmm, I wonder, can instincts ever steer us wrong? Or perhaps they're not instincts, but simply the result of wisdom learned from experience.

message 7: by Jackie (last edited Jan 10, 2009 05:51PM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments Instinct, intuition, mine have never failed me. I may have failed them when I was younger, but I realized that every time I would disregard my intuition, I regretted it. Mainly because I didn't have a reason to explain why I was feeling it. Once I let go of that, needing a reason, it's worked well for me. I don't need a reason, someplace inside me has a reason. I live on my intuition now and it's working.

message 8: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Hey, Jackie... whatever works...! (g)

message 9: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments Exactly. Letting go of the illusion of control helps, LOL